Recommended Mods?

Mask

X2 is coming soon to Early Access, so I figured I should play through X1 a bit before the release. I've lost track of the modding world, however. I actually made a mod with another guy, in the early days of Xenonauts. I doubt it works with the current version of the game anymore.

Preferences, if it matters: I don't mind a challenge, I tend to play these games on the hardest settings, so long as it is genuine challenge and not just a chore. If there's a choice between realistic or arcade styles, I prefer realistic.

I've heard good things about the community edition and X Division, but those are the only mods I'm aware of. There's also, "On the Edge - More Realistic Combat Mod," which sounds interesting, it's the highest rated thing in the downloads page, but it doesn't have many downloads there.

Any suggestions what I should use for my playthrough? Thank you for the advice.

Edited by Mask

None of the other non-cosmetic mods are compatible out of the box. They might break your game right away, or you might realise you are playing a completely broken game after 10 hours. That said, good content is this:

• Xenophobia. With the additions of AND_Great.
  • I think i have a fixed XNT version lying on my pc.
  • There is the X-Pansion pack, but i wouldnt recommend it. Stability wise.
  • All of aajs´s content. XMC.
  • Axiomatic s content, but its mostly geographical.
  • There is also Armored assault, and the Dreadnaught mod, which might or might not work.

Looking through the mod box in Xenonauts is mostly like walking through a broken toy factory. Nothing works, but everything is really interesting in its own right. If you just wanna look install whatever you see and then look what it does with your game, just dont expect a proper game afterwards.

X-Division and the XNT version on my pc are propably the only slightly bigger mods that is geared towards the convenience of the player. Given a proper installation everything just works.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Charon said:

Looking through the mod box in Xenonauts is mostly like walking through a broken toy factory. Nothing works, but everything is really interesting in its own right. If you just wanna look install whatever you see and then look what it does with your game, just dont expect a proper game afterwards.

X-Division and the XNT version on my pc are propably the only slightly bigger mods that is geared towards the convenience of the player. Given a proper installation everything just works.

At that rate, I might prefer to just install X Division and not worry about other mods, if they'll ruin stability. I haven't much time to mess with mods, these days.

What about the Community Edition mod? Is it compatible with X Division? If not, I'm not sure which one to choose.

1 minute ago, Mask said:

What about the Community Edition mod? Is it compatible with X Division? If not, I'm not sure which one to choose.

XCE IS NOT A MOD. In the same way Xenonauts is not a mod, and Dawn of War is not a mod and plants vs zombies is not a mod. It is its own game, with its own executeable, its own data, and its own rules. Most Community Editions for games change source code, and become a program in its own right. Mods change content. if you change source code you become a different program.

Apart from that it is a prerequesite for X-Division as it doesnt run on anything else :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mask said:

The question still remains. Would I be better off playing Xenonauts, or Xenonauts Community Edition, or X Division. Do you have a recommendation between them?

Depends on how much you have already played.

I would like to say that XCE is totally like vanilla, just better, but that is simply not true. A lot of mechanics get changed, and XCE removes a lot of broken mechanics which are 100% in favour of the player. Teleporter blocking is one of the most broken things, XCE makes it into telefragging. Opening doors is a very "convenient" way for ... simple minded players to get a peak inside. In vanilla you cant get punished for that, no reaction fire, but in XCE you do. AI becomes more intelligent, Reapers one shot vehicles, Reapers get a better AI, aircraft UFOs get a "thinking" chance, the list is endless ... .

XCE is an absolutely good game for it being a community edition. Maybe even the best community edition ever made. But despite this you have to deal with reality. And the reality with Community Editions is that they change a lot of stuff, but never see a full development cycle. Basically they never make the round of getting tested whether or not all that added/reinstated/like-the-original-intended-content/removed mechanics/content on their fun factor.
Mods which are based on Community Editions usually make the missing part of a full development cycle again, as people usually actually play mods, and therefore the full incentive comes with a lot of people testing the game on their fun factor again. Balancing out all the new mechanics and content with additional content. And so making a full circle again. CEs and Mods are both 50% of a full development circle.

Long story short.

1. Play vanilla, if you like what you see then
2. Get XCE and mods for XCE. Experience all that unbalanced gaming content. If you still want more then
3. Play a proper gameplay experience with X-Division.

If at any point you dont like what you see just stop and switch to a different game. There is no use in forcing yourself above what you like.

Edited by Charon
  • Like 1

I always found the doors way too abuse-able in Xenonauts. The telefragging sounds disconcerting if it were just impossible to deal with, but otherwise everything sounds good. It sounds like X Division is the way forward, as it seems to be an improvement over XCE.

Thank you for the help, Charon.