[V10.0 - General] Unable to launch a new game

XISlayer

When I try to start a new game, no matter the settings in the dialogue, my game gets stuck on loading, usually at 24%, rarely later, I've tried reinstalling the game multiple times, including manually removing all files. The stable version works fine.

If relevant, my computer is running Windows 10 Pro, on an i5-6600K, with 16GB RAM, and a Radeon RX5700XT. I am running the game at 2560x1440

output.log

Thanks for the report. This is a strange one because the logs don't show any errors - but I believe your account of what happened because a 24% freeze happened to me a few days ago (which at the time I assumed was just an error from switching branches so I didn't look into it further).

It's a little difficult to know how to proceed at this point. Does the error go away if you play 1080p windowed rather than fullscreen? I'll be pushing a hotfix tonight for some other issues so perhaps that will somehow fix it too.

Same thing happened to me, see bug report below.  As of 11:30 PM Eastern, 12/6, it is still failing to load a new game.  I tried Chris' suggestion about a windowed start-up, but there was no change, the game still hung at 24%.

[V10.1 - General] Game fails to load after main menu.

See log file.

The initial settings window comes up, I clicked on the “full screen” etc. choices and hit return.

The main menu appeared after 10 seconds or so.

After the main menu (new game/saved game/etc. screen) came up, I chose “new game.”

The (new) window that lists different difficulty levels came up.  It would only allow the “familiar with game” choice.

After I clicked on the difficulty level choice, the loading screen (with the troop carrier background) appeared, and the progress bar started.

After about 15 seconds the progress bar reached 24% and stopped.  I waited for 2 minutes to see if the progress bar would move, and it did not.

I attempted to Alt-Tab out of the game’s window, and was unable to do so.

After about 30 seconds of trying various ways to get out of the game program, the window came up with the “this program has stopped responding—wait or close it down?” message.  I closed the program.

I went into my X2 files and copied the log file (attached).  I also deleted all my previous save files, just in case there was a problem there.  It made no difference.  I tried to start the game twice more with the same result as described above, with the game hanging at 24%.

output.log

Edited by maxm222
new info

Unfortunately this bug isn't actually fixed - I encountered it myself when testing V10.1 so I know it's still occuring. Sadly the current logging we have doesn't give us any info about what is going wrong beyond the loading process having hung for some reason, so we'll have to add more logging and release a new patch.

Annoyingly, the bug doesn't seem reproducible. After encountering it myself I restarted the game and then it loaded fine, so I'm really not sure what could have triggered it. If anyone notices a pattern then let us know, otherwise we'll just have to patch in the improved logging and work from there.

I tried the game after updating it, it failed a few times, so I decided to try it in windowed, it then worked once, and never again. After manually removing the files and reinstalling it from scratch the game has launched properly twice in a row so far, I don't know if the trend will continue.

That´s amazing. I had a Problem with the Geoscape Missions for getting new Personal (Scientist / Workers) but never a Problem to start new Games in every Version, esp. on Version 10. Maybe a Bug, which have changeable Effects on different Systems and isn´t repruceable.

You Guys have the Problem to start a new Game, some have Problems with the Recruting-Personal-Geoscape-Missions (like me). 

I had to make a complete clean install too and the small overworked 2xx MB-Patch for 10.1-Version did the Rest. After that the Game worked fine again.

• 1 month later...

I had this issue as well, game would reach 24% on load before freezing.

I was able to eventually resolve the issue by going into my save files and deleting all my old saves from the original, non-experimental, version (I think 8.3 or something). Doing this instantly fixed the issue and let me load in a new game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also getting a crash on attempting to start a new game, but my error log is slightly more helpful:

2020-02-06 20:44:20,654 [WARN] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\DataStructures\WorldManagedScreen.cs:88) 
Handle Event Skipped: The World of: MainMenu is null or not initialized, the event: LifecycleEvent (Type: Dispose) was skipped.

2020-02-06 20:44:20,655 [WARN] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\DataStructures\WorldManagedScreen.cs:88) 
Handle Event Skipped: The World of: GroundCombat is null or not initialized, the event: LifecycleEvent (Type: Dispose) was skipped.

2020-02-06 20:44:20,656 [WARN] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\DataStructures\WorldManagedScreen.cs:88) 
Handle Event Skipped: The World of: Strategy is null or not initialized, the event: LifecycleEvent (Type: Dispose) was skipped.

2020-02-06 20:44:20,657 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\ScreenManager.cs:221) 
Disposing: 0 animation(s), 4 screen(s)

2020-02-06 20:44:20,660 [FATAL] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Screens\XenonautsMain.cs:524) 
[INITIAL CRASH]
Common.Content.Managers.ContentRuntimeException: A fatal error occurred during Update[] -  - The load screen failed to load some assets. See previous error logs for which assets failed.
  at Common.Screens.DataStructures.LoadScreen`2[Xenonauts.GameScreens,Common.Screens.DataStructures.IScreenParameters].CheckLoading () [0x0019a] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\DataStructures\LoadScreen.cs:258 
  at Common.Screens.DataStructures.LoadScreen`2[Xenonauts.GameScreens,Common.Screens.DataStructures.IScreenParameters].Update (Single deltaTime) [0x00002] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\DataStructures\LoadScreen.cs:96 
  at Xenonauts.XenonautsLoadingScreen.Update (Single deltaTime) [0x00003] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Screens\Loading\XenonautsLoadingScreen.cs:30 
  at Common.Screens.ScreenManager`1[Xenonauts.GameScreens].Update (Single deltaTime) [0x000f3] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\ScreenManager.cs:154 
  at Xenonauts.XenonautsMain.Update () [0x00066] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.52.3\Assets\Code\Screens\XenonautsMain.cs:444 

This error is happening at about 94% loading, and happens consistently regardless of whether I'm running windowed or not.