Defeated without losing a single soldier?

I just was handed a defeat after about 3 turns without losing a single soldier (see screenshot below).  Four members of the "local defense" are still alive.  All the civilians are dead, apparently--most of which I never saw.

Was I defeated because of the civilian deaths?  Previous to this battle, civilian deaths had no impact on the outcome.

Thanks for any clarification.

DefeatByCivilianDeaths.jpg

It´s like the same what Terrorists do in our real World too. Such Terrorist People ignore Local Forces, Police, Military etc. and attack the Civilians, which are the least.

In Terror Missions the Aliens have the Mission to kill Civilians and Police / Local Forces. They ignore your Soldiers, so you have to hurry up to save the Local Forces as well as especially the Civilians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exactly.  If they're civilians they ought to hide and stay put, or run towards the drop ship, or run behind the X's "battlefront."

if they're civilian soldiers and disorganized/demoralized, they should act like civilians; if not, they should at least take cover and shoot with a weapon equivalent to a pistol or something.

• 2 weeks later...

This seams to happen quite frequently, and shouldn't happen at all, as the only ways you should be able to loss is if 1. you retreat and abandoned the game, and 2. you are wiped out. 

The loss of civilians is not a good out come, but while their aliens to hunt and trooper to hunt them, the game should continue.

Edited by Ruggerman