[V9.0 Geoscape] research - queue full

squeezechart

There seems to be no queue for research - you can select one research item, if you want to let research another item once the present one has been finished,

'queue full' is displayed and you get no notification when the research is finished (to go and select another one).

On engineering, there seems to be a working queue.

queue full.png

Yeah, so this isn't a bug - we've removed the research queue, given you're asked to assign new research after every completed project anyway. However we do need to implement that selecting a new project will switch it with the currently selected one rather than just say "queue full".

13 hours ago, Challenge said:

There doesn't seem to be a que for research. It only accepts one item at a time.

Engineering que doesn't delete items when the delete "x" it clicked.

Hmm, the engineering queue seems to work fine for me in terms of deleting objects when you press X. Can you provide screenshots or a save to show me the issue you are having?

18 hours ago, Chris said:

Yeah, so this isn't a bug - we've removed the research queue, given you're asked to assign new research after every completed project anyway.

The research queue is in most similar games for more than the purpose of starting a new research.

It give players a tool to plan future researches, remembering the decisions through game loads and save transfers.
Example: play a while, go to holiday, come back after a week, check research & production queue to be reminded what was the plan.

In addition, it allows the carefully planned research to happen in the background, so that it can be executed with minimal disruption.
For example, when I want to wait for an UFO, mission, or manufacturing, I can mindlessly click "continue research" (focusing on the event I want), instead of browsing through all research projects again (and be distracted).

Alternatively, imagine a game state where there is a backlog of small researches that you'd like to clean up.
With research queue, you loop through the list once and throw them to the queue as you go.  Unpause, dismiss popups until something interesting happens.
Without research queue, you will be forced a screen jump every game day or two (or less), and you'll need to scan the list every time to pick the next research.
The later is bad UX.  The mental fatigue / frustration will add up.

So... there is a plan to bring research queue back, yes?

Edited by Sheepy

On 11/2/2019 at 7:20 AM, Sheepy said:

The research queue is in most similar games for more than the purpose of starting a new research.

Do any X-Com games have a research queue? Research in this sub-genre is different to in a general 4X; it's far more narrative and is the main marker for how you advance forward in the game. There's something to be said for making your research choices a decision rather than having it playing out in the background.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 1:16 PM, Challenge said:

The save game and screen shot as requested. Also I should note I haven't researched Plasma Rifles yet. I'm trying to delete the Falcon.

strategy-8.json

Testing this save and I'm not quite sure what's happened here, but the Workshop queue has got broken - deleting the Falcon doesn't work, but nor does anything else. If you (or anyone else) gets another instance of this bug please report it and let us know what you were doing beforehand.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Do any X-Com games have a research queue? Research in this sub-genre is different to in a general 4X; it's far more narrative and is the main marker for how you advance forward in the game. There's something to be said for making your research choices a decision rather than having it playing out in the background.

The only game I can think of is Phoenix Point, which does have a research queue. But in that game you have to queue up every autopsy and pretty much everything you want to look at. So it does make some sense that you can add things to a queue. 

I guess the reason people are asking about this is that it was present before the 9.0 release, and now isn't there. Just from convenience sake it was nice to put a couple of things in the queue rather than having to remember to go and add something every time a research project finishes instead of jumping to the engineering space to start building what you just researched.

One suggestion, if there isn't going to be a queue, would it be possible to have some sort of visual flag indicating that there are things you can research but nothing is currently in the queue? That way I wouldn't forget to add things. 

• Like 1

So reading this bug report over the weekend did make me realise something in the game wasn't working properly that is responsible for at least some of these problem, which we will be fixing in the next update.

The "new research available" pop-up that contains the "Go To Research Screen" button only pops up if the research project actually unlocks new tech in X2, whereas in X1 it would pop-up after every research report and just report that no new research was available if nothing was unlocked. We'll be adding the functionality that makes it appear after every research project, because then you'll get the reminder to go the research screen after every completed project. That makes not having a research queue much less problematic than it currently is.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, Chris said:

Do any X-Com games have a research queue? Research in this sub-genre is different to in a general 4X; it's far more narrative and is the main marker for how you advance forward in the game.

I guess it depends on how research is designed.  Yes sorry I remembered it wrong; apoc and interceptor had a parallel research model (one research per lab/base) instead of a queue.

Aftershock, Afterlight, and Phoenix Point, which are newer (and not abstracted to a boardgame), do/shall have a queue.  But the first two do have lots of researches.

The lack of production queue delete hit again. Attached the recording, output and strategy save.

I was setting up the engineering build queue to fill in the rest of the squadron for the second base (Southeast Russia). The last hanger isn't finished yet, but it let me select the base anyway. I realized the mistake as soon as I clicked on it, but opened the project info by clicking to see what it cost. Had to use Esc to close the base list (could use a cancel button here) and at that point it stopped deleting things from the queue.

It then did a CTD.

Since this report, I have the queue works after reload, but roughly 24 game hours after I load a save to play I get a ctd. It happens every time.

recording_10.rec

output.log

strategy-53.json

Edited by Challenge
additional info.