V9 Balance / Gameplay Feedback Thread

Chris

On 11/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, stewpidbear said:

Prime example of this see photo. Grenade launcher in door way on left with clear sight to ufo, lands 2 squares away wounding own troops.

Yes, we're already aware grenades aren't pathing in a particularly sensible way yet. You've made three posts in this thread saying the exact same thing - it's helpful to keep reminding us that the problem needs to be fixed but once per thread is enough to make sure we don't forget about it. Unlike most things raised in this thread this problem isn't just a case of tweaking numbers, it'll take actual coder time to fix and therefore has to be planned in around other tasks.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yes, we're already aware grenades aren't pathing in a particularly sensible way yet. You've made three posts in this thread saying the exact same thing - it's helpful to keep reminding us that the problem needs to be fixed but once per thread is enough to make sure we don't forget about it. Unlike most things raised in this thread this problem isn't just a case of tweaking numbers, it'll take actual coder time to fix and therefore has to be planned in around other tasks.

I do apologise, but it is extremely frustrating.

OK, with the release of V9.2 I'm going to lock this thread and direct everyone to the new thread here. My closing thoughts on a few of the points raised in this thread:

• I'm a little reluctant to make too many changes to the alien stats right now, I'll reserve judgement until I play a bit more. Potentially the Brutes could be made a bit meatier, I'll keep an eye out for them. The AI in general is very primitive still and I need to sit down and plan it out. The approach we're taking is for me to create a bunch of small maps with an alien in it, and a combat situation where there is a clear "best" move - and then I'll tell GJ what I expect the alien to do, and he can try to create and balance an AI model so it reacts appropriately in those situations. Hopefully this will ensure we get an appropriately deadly AI.
  • Converted alien weapons are being disabled in the next build. I'm open to arguments for re-enabling them but I'm not convinced there's a valid reason to do so, as I feel like there's already a disproprotionate number of weapons in the game and I don't feel there's niches for all of them. But I'm willing to have my mind changed on that point.
  • Comments noted on Lasers, but I'm going to hold off making any changes to them for now because I've not played a campaign far enough to use them properly myself.
  • The dropship is going to switch back to a Chinook because the 1m raised floor of the new design makes movement annoyingly hard. This will have a bigger troop compartment, and we can freely change the number of soldiers as needed.
  • I don't want to get into a long discussion about maps here, but yeah, they're not finished yet. However if you want a totally realistic-looking map that also works on a square tile grid and gives you a readable battlefield you're probably going to struggle no matter how many resources you throw at it, and where limitations are forced upon us by the medium I'm inclined to favour gameplay mechanics over realism.
  • I'll have a think about the grenades / grenade launcher miss issues.

• Chris locked this topic