Grenades both thrown and fired?

In X1, there was a damage type introduced called internally "incendiary", which did 2.5x more damage to structures. This was used for various high-explosive weapons. I wonder if re-introducing it, alongside a damage type which does less damage to buildings might be an idea.

• Like 1

The grenade that is shown on the equipment page, looks like a fragmentation grenade, and not HE, so to be able to destroy Walls you would need HE, and not Fragmentation, as these a anti-personal, which only produce a large bang, and a small flash, and are designed to effect personal, and not the Hollywood type that we see mow!!

Even frag would pierce a wooden siding and effect the Target the other side, I would also suspect the first grenade made for the launcher would be the simpler to produce blast type of grenade.But having said that the different types of grenade suggested by Max would be an ideal solution.

while I am pretty sure a frag would blow out a wooden wall if it happened to land right next to it, because if the charge wouldn't the shrapnel would turn a set of boards into swiss cheese. rugger is correct in his statement that they are not intended for demolition. 

demolition equipment we would be looking at incendiaries from the lowly molotov to thermite charges, or high explosives (launched like rockets with HE or tandem warheads (also HE, just a series of charges as to drill the main explosive in the structure to be blown up, or past spacers) or set like the C4) or the shaped charge (launched...or set, less likely to spread the structure all over, better for punching holes or making entry pionts)

The Grenades that are available from the start of the game, look like fragmentation grenades, and are not designed to take out walls, they are anti personal designed to kill or maim living creatures. As the game progresses you develop alien grenades, and they are much more powerful, and these should be able to destroy walls, and of course the good old C4.  

I accept all the above, but I can take out the side of a UFO with the grenade launcher but not a wooden sided building? Also the easiest type of grenade first produced was a combination of HE and Frag not either or. Perhaps I’m expecting too much realism from the tactical game with different wall structures behaving differently? Fair enough frag would do sod all against brick and concrete but wood would be fairly much toast (misquote time.... “the alien is toast”!

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly doesn't seem right that with the HEVY launcher you can take out a panel on a UFO, but cannot take out parts of some buildings - not all buildings. Because I've definitely been able to impact some and not others. The sawmill does seem particularly resistant though for some reason.

In the original UFO: Enemy Unknown I seem to recall that you couldn't actually blow your way into an alien craft until you'd researched Elerium Grenades or the Blaster Launcher. Those were the only things powerful enough to penetrate the skin of the craft. So it actually seems a bit strange that you can use the HEVY Launcher to do that at all - though I appreciate being able to do so. I always figured that's why you needed the demolition charges because, with the capabilities of the HEVY Launcher, that's something I never bother to use in-game.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 8:17 AM, stewpidbear said:

Any update on grenades and launchers? So fed up of soldiers killing their own troops who are right next to them!

Also arc shots. I wanted my guy to lob a frag at a xeno from behind a wall between them, but apparently grenades are all fastballs since there was a 100% chance it smacks into the wall in question. There is also an issue with doors, where grenades can't be thrown inside them. Although this is an issue with all weapons, since the game doesn't allow you to shoot around cover, only over/through it. Definitely a problem to look into fixing.