[v8 Ground combat] Soldiers above camera level are hidden

Solver

That's a feature rather than a bug; I think it'd be weird to have the soldiers floating in mid-air when all the terrain around them is hidden. Indeed because of the perspective it's possible it'd look like they were on the floor below but several tiles back from their real position instead.

I see what you mean in some cases, like roofs. With some others, like the rocks on many maps, the terrain seems visible anyway, so it's as if just the soldier disappears. And it really doesn't feel right. I'll get some screenshots in, but seems like some creative UI solution is needed.

I found the perfect place for a screenshot. I hope this makes it clear why the behaviour looks like a bug.

First a cropped view, camera level 1:

image.png

Same view with camera at level 2:

image.png

The top part of this rock formation is visible at camera level 1, and looks the same on both camera levels. In fact the only difference is that my soldier up there disappears if I move the camera up.

This is in contrast with a nearby regular building, which looks different on different camera levels due to the roof.

image.png