Targeting Issues

mathguru

So I've decided that I'm going to put X2 aside and let it bake a bit more before committing my precious game time. Here is one particular observation. Hopefully it's helpful.

Targeting enemies seems to be broken-- or, if broken is too strong a word, then how about "consistently, buggy." What happens is that I'll look at the battleground from one perspective and be able to target an enemy-- but then, upon rotating, I will no longer be able to target the enemy, i.e. the reticle will not turn red. This happens unpredictably but regularly. Rotating it back usually does not fix it (but sometimes it does!) I'm a programmer by trade, so I did my best to find some sort of pattern so I could maybe provide hints to your debuggers-- but, alas, there is none. Sometimes, if I switch soldiers and then target enemy upon switching back it works-- but other times, not. That bug alone makes the game unplayable for me.

Note I said "unplayable for me." The game is certainly playable for a certain type of gamer / debugger with more patience / free time than I-- it's just a bridge too far for me personally. Mad respect for you guys-- just constructive criticism. 

I have high hopes!! And I'm stoked-- sprites are crisp, and, when it works right, gameplay is smooth. I'm sure you will get there. :)

PS, if there is some fix to the targeting issue, please let me know!

Is it a case that when you spin the view, the view zooms out a level which means although the targetter appears to be on the enemy (or soldier), it is actually pointing at a square several places over and one level up? I think there have been a number of times where I have spun the view and where the targetter has momentarily hovered over a building and caused the game to correct itself by changing the level. I fixed by zooming in (or out where applicable). On some maps the thing that indicates what level you are on isn't always clear.

It might be worth testing this theory as there might not be a bug per se. Or at least a quick zoom in (and out) might fix it.

Ive had this issue in a different case. If i reload a save i cant target anything anymore nor move any of my soldiers unless i rotate any of them. Its a weird bug that didnt seem to occur on V8 (experimental) my guess is this has been addressed in latest version but not yet in the stable version of the game

Edited by MrR0ket01