[V7.3 Ground Combat] Raised ledges seem to provide cover

chiroho

When an alien is standing on a raised area of ground, for some reason this seems to be providing cover for the alien. Given that they are simply standing on slightly higher ground I'm not sure that this should be the case. See the following screenshot:

KWbXj2G.jpg

And in this instance the solder taking the shot firing out the door of the Skyranger so should have been on the same level as the Psyon, if not slightly higher, so there was no reason for the change in elevation to be providing any sort of cover.

Thanks. Although this isn't desirable behaviour, it's not a bug exactly - that half wall is still technically intervening cover so it's correct that it gets counted. I've just not yet figured out a sensible set of rules to choose when cliff edges should be counted as cover and when they should not.

Totally get that this isn't a bug per se - you want to have the half wall providing cover. But in the case of it simply being raised ground, in a normal situation it would actually make the unit more vulnerable as they're more easily seen by anyone looking that way - a bit like a unit standing on the ramp to the dropship (which is also a bit weird at the moment as they seem to hover in mid air, but that's something I'm guessing you just haven't got to graphically yet).

I also think I noticed the same behaviour when playing in a 6.x build a couple of weeks ago where a Sebillian climbed up onto a flowerbed and walked right next to my soldier who was sheltering behind the same flower bed. Even though the alien was standing visibly higher, it was still getting that 30% cover bonus. So I guess it will just come down to what rules apply when. If you need me to test anything then just let me know.