[V7.3 General] Can't see previous saves when saving

chiroho

When attempting to save a game, the list of game names on the left of the screen is always blank. Each time you have to type in a name for the save. This means that it is impossible to overwrite/reuse previous save game names. If you do type in the same save game name, you end up with multiple saves with the same name - for example "V73 Geoscape". 

All the saved games show up okay in the loading screen, but not in the save screen as worked previously.

So it turns out this was actually an intentional feature, not a bug. I'm still mulling on how to address it and the input of the community would be appreciated.

The game does not display existing autosaves on the Save Game screen, but it should display manual saves. Maybe also quicksaves too? The problem is having too many autosaves there would clutter up the list, and we're generating a LOT of autosaves at the moment. I'm therefore not sure what the best approach it - don't display autosaves, display only a few autosaves, display all the autosaves? Maybe have a checkbox to allow displaying or hiding the autosaves?

Generally the player won't want to save over autosaves so there's no need to show them - but clearly it also causes confusion when there's no saves visible, because it also kinda implies that those autosaves don't exist. So it's a tricky one...

My thinking would be to show the players previous manual saves. And perhaps the quicksaves as well. Basically anything done manually by the player as they're the most likely objects to be overwritten. As you said, I'm not likely to want to overwrite an automatic save, but if I run a set of three different manual saves for Ground Combat missions say (One when I land, one at the end of each turn before I press End Turn, and one after alien movement), it would be good to be able to overwrite those. I realize that the new auto saves obviate the need for some of that, but there are definitely times when you want to save mid turn to see if something will work and then go back, and that's why I think just showing manually created saves would be best.