Kickstarter Question

For reassurance, Word of Chris on the matter from his Kickstarter Update #6:

EDIT - just to clarify, the physical copy and the second digital copy of the game are standard $50 rewards. If you want to pledge at $75, you can choose two of the $50 rewards, now: poster, t-shirt, digital art book, physical DVD copy, second digital copy of the game. The same logic follows for the higher tiers too - you can replace any of the existing three $50 rewards with one of the two new ones.

Specific npcs are also cops in industrial zones, muhajedin in deserts, farmers with shotguns in farmlands etc. I'm much more psyched for this reward instead of russian tileset. So I hope the kickstarter ends with either 139k, or at least 165k :)

Are you sure about that farmer bit? That sounds very American in my ears? Does any other country have a law about being allowed to defend your home by any and all means? In Sweden if you injure a burglar breaking into your apartment you might end up paying damages to the criminal. (Yes, we think it's weird too, but the point is the Swedish law doesn't make exceptions for you on your own property.)

paying damages to the criminal

surely this would fall under self defence? Or does it depend on what is considered excessive force (which often really doesn't grasp the terror that people suddenly subjected to an assault feel and their subsequent reactions.)

Sounds like a lot of work to do all that for the civvies. I think I'd prefer the maps simply because it seems like a larger impact on the game.

surely this would fall under self defence?

No, that's a very American way to see it. And most likely Europeans that don't know law are affected by the multitude of American shows we are bombarded with. I think many Swedes believes you have more right to defend your own home then you actually do, because on American shows they can do whatever they want.

AFAIK there are no "trespassers will be shot" signs in Sweden, and I assume there are none in the rest of Europe.

Basically my point is that I'm not sure farmers would have weapons for defending their property in areas where it isn't really legal to use firearms that way. And I can't come up with (another) reason why a "agricultural engineer" would have guns in his home. This may be due to lack of insight ofc, so if someone else can provide a reason then it's all fine and dandy.

I have gotten the impression that Americans can shoot unarmed people that set foot on their property uninvited and do not back off after a warning. Might be an Hollywood exaggeration. But I'm not sure everyone can tell the difference between Hollywoods version and what lawfully constitutes as "necessary force" in their own country.

There isn't the same culture to have firearms in the house to defend your home in Sweden as there seems to be in America (even if it's limited over there as well it's much less in Sweden as it hasn't even entered popular culture afaik). I assumed this culture wasn't common in the rest of Europe either.

Edited by Gorlom

In Britain there is no automatic right for homeowners to defend their homes. There have been a number of well-publicised cases where an intruder was fought off but the homeowner was then arrested for crimes such as assault, aggravated assault and grievous bodily harm. The charges may be dropped against the homeowner or the homeowner may be acquitted of charges, but they will still be charged regardless. There is a lot of talk about passing laws similar to the Home Shield law in certain states of America, but there's nothing concrete.

Same in Norway really. Acts of self defence should not exceed the amount of damage taken from, or possible to receive from the assault. But I think you'll be charged no matter what though. If a guy punches you and the police sees it, they'll charge the offender. You can't go "I don't want to press charges."

For what it's worth, the standard varies from state to state in the U.S. I'm not real up on my criminal law these days but the general standard used to be that there was a "duty to retreat" - meaning that it's not self-defense if you can back away peacefully but don't and instead choose to fight. Certain jurisdictions have modified it to me that there's no duty to retreat from one's own home, while others (like Florida) take it one, ahem, crazy step further to say you can "stand your ground" and fight if challenged with no duty to retreat. Not sure if you Europeans have followed the Trayvon Martin case but the guy who shot him (Martin was an unarmed kid and they were both out in public) is likely to rely on the stand your ground defense and say that he felt threatened and so didn't have to retreat. In any case, I think the "Trespassers will be shot on sight" is generally a bit of an overstatement and not something that could happen legally but the exact standard varies.

More to the point, the Kickstarter's at $124k - let's get the total moving upwards again! Put up some comments suggesting people bump their pledges, etc., etc. so that we can see those well-armed farmers in action!

This has derailed a bit. This particular argument about right to defend ones home is about wether or not Farmers in Xenonauts will be out on their farm trying to kill aliens. Lets not forget that people! :P

Also following the stack of pancakes link I found this article which describes a drug that was supposedly tested by the CIA during the cold war to rob someone of their free will or memory... (Hope I'm not opening the door for people to call for playable aliens as xenonaut soldiers)

But it seemed interesting on the topic of mindcontrolling aliens and cold war era. :P Wonder if you could do something with it (other then that rather lame gimmick I already mentioned)

Having spoken about the rights of homeowners in Britain, there is a rustic stereotype in Britain of a farmer, dressed in wellington boots, floppy hat and rough, countryside clothing with a double-barreled shotgun under one arm yelling out in a broad, Somerset accent "Git orf moi laaand!". The adult-themed comic Viz satirises this stereotype with the character Farmer Farmer. The double-barreled shotgun is often considered a "sign" of the countryside.

Well, I think it's only that you can shoot someone if they illegally, or at least be charged with breaking and entering or similar, not if they're in your yard.

Also, as to the fact that farmers have shotguns: One, you're in a ****ing alien invasion. I wouldn't give a **** about the laws and buy some rpgs, mines, and chainguns. Two, they could be hunters or gun nuts. Three, this was the Cold War where people were building bunkers to survive the impeding nuclear dawn, I suppose they'd have a few guns.

Well, I think it's only that you can shoot someone if they illegally, or at least be charged with breaking and entering or similar, not if they're in your yard.

Also, as to the fact that farmers have shotguns: One, you're in a ****ing alien invasion. I wouldn't give a **** about the laws and buy some rpgs, mines, and chainguns. Two, they could be hunters or gun nuts. Three, this was the Cold War where people were building bunkers to survive the impeding nuclear dawn, I suppose they'd have a few guns.

Betour it's not technically about the law, it's about the culture, availability of weapons to farmers and the social norm to either defend ones property or run for cover. Personally I would feel a bit of immersion breaking going on if I find "Farmers with shotguns"-militia substituting the local armed forces outside of the USA.

I don't know where you are from so I can't really respond to the first paragraph of your post.

Lol, nice derail :D

Farmers are directly from chris.

Here:

This is my proposal for the stretch goals. If people like them, they'll go up in a couple of hours along with a survey that allows you to vote for them in order of preference. Thoughts?

- Tileset-Specific NPC Allies – we do have friendly AI soldiers in the game, but only one type. This would add different variants – police on the Industrial tileset, farmers with shotguns on the Farm tileset, mujahedeen with AK-47s on the Desert tileset etc.

It's even copied to the kickstarter page (Update 4 and 5)

Also, in midst of an alien invasion, I too wouldn't be worried about laws concerning defense of your home (when the aliens are attacking you).

Edited by Shima

Also, in midst of an alien invasion, I too wouldn't be worried about laws concerning defense of your home (when the aliens are attacking you).

Hey, not my fault people would rather focus on the law discussion then my point! Even you are doing it....

- Tileset-Specific NPC Allies – we do have friendly AI soldiers in the game, but only one type. This would add different variants – police on the Industrial tileset, farmers with shotguns on the Farm tileset, mujahedeen with AK-47s on the Desert tileset etc.

Damnit! I really hope we meet the 140k goal now.

Ok so what was your point then? That the idea is too american-ish?

And Chris said he likes the idea of tileset NPC's quite a lot so he might add it in the game anyway (if there's time left). So even if we meet 140k, I can still dream :rolleyes: