[7.0 - Strategy, Armoury] Equipment/weapon art is blanked out even when object is present

Max_Caine

On 9/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, Max_Caine said:

If you select an item and place it on top of another item, the art for both items is blanked out. The item remains and is registered in the appropriate area, but the art is blanked out. This is also true if you remove an item and put another item in its empty space.  

On 9/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, Emily_F said:

I get this too

Thanks for the reports, but I actually can't reproduce this at my end.

It happens in the soldier equip screen, right? If I drag a shotgun over the Primary slot of a Rifleman, both that and the starting rifle get blanked out? I tried that and I didn't see any negative results so if you guys have reproduction steps that'd be great.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

It happens in the soldier equip screen, right? If I drag a shotgun over the Primary slot of a Rifleman, both that and the starting rifle get blanked out? I tried that and I didn't see any negative results so if you guys have reproduction steps that'd be great.

Yeah it is in the soldier equip screen, and is kinda random but happens almost always with grenades and with some weapons (most often converted plasma weapons and rifles). It does it with medipacks and armour too. 

1 minute ago, Emily_F said:

Yeah it is in the soldier equip screen, and is kinda random but happens almost always with grenades and with some weapons (most often converted plasma weapons and rifles). It does it with medipacks and armour too. 

Do you have a strategy save where it's possible to reproduce it? It may only start happening after some manufacturing / ground combat missions have been done, I guess...

2 hours ago, Emily_F said:

It happens right from the start. Even when I started again. 

Maybe I'm just being an idiot, but could you write out some reproduction steps for me? Like which specific weapons being moved into which specific slots on which soldiers?

I did try a few things but I couldn't reproduce it so I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or it's just not happening on my machine.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Chris said:

Could you write out some reproduction steps for me? 

I thought I had a reproducible case in 7.1 but it doesn't seem to be consistent. This happened to be a couple of times so I created a save and followed these steps twice and reproduced issues but now can't seem to reproduce them again:

1. Open the attached save
  2. Go to the Armory
  3. At this point going into any soldier everything appears fine
  4. Go to Soldier #6, Mariana Vila
  5. Replace the armour she's wearing with Combat Armour
  6. Go back to the All Soldiers View
  7. Select any solder and you will see that their primary weapon doesn't appear

I thought it had something to do with putting the combat armour on, but as I said it isn't consistent. I tried exiting back to the main menu and loading the save, or going all the way to the desktop and loading the save, but sometimes it happened and sometimes it didn't. Hopefully this attached file helps somewhat.

I've also seen the problem where the primary weapon appears, but another piece of assigned equipment, for example on their belt, does not - you can only tell this by dragging something into a seemingly empty space and finding that the cell highlights red indicating something is already there.

I'm running 1920x1200 with Fantastic display settings.

ETA: If you keep playing around with assigning and removing Combat Armour, at least in this instance, the problem does eventually occur where something obviously is missing from the display - a primary weapon for example. But if you go back out of the equipment editor and come back in again then the problem usually resolves itself.

ETA2: Here is a screenshot showing the problem. In this instance you can see that there is a ballistic rifle as the primary weapon but all that can be seen is the ammunition. Similarly the medikit is there but not visible. There are also other items on the belt that are present but not seen.

NT3cqzB.jpg

user-21.json

Edited by chiroho

Frustratingly I can't reproduce this issue in V7.1 at all, even using the save game and instructions provided above, and if I can't reproduce it it's very difficult to fix it.

One of the fixes in V7.2 is a general fix to the way the UI is caching and re-using game objects (which caused the crash on the Aircraft screen) so potentially that might have fixed this issue too.  I think perhaps we just wait and see if it reoccurs in V7.2 and if it does we'll take another look at it.

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Frustratingly I can't reproduce this issue in V7.1 at all, even using the save game and instructions provided above, and if I can't reproduce it it's very difficult to fix it.

Unfortunately it looks like this is still happening in 7.2. I didn't see it crop up when I first started playing, but as soon as I had Combat Armour created and started assigning it to soldiers before a mission I started seeing a problem. At first it would be that one of the items in the belt wasn't displaying - though if you hovered over it you'd still get the fly by. Then weapons started disappearing as well, and armour. Though not usually both at the same time.

I'm attaching a save game from 7.2 in which I was in the middle of assigning as much Combat Armour to my team as I'd made. If you open this and then start putting that on as many soldiers as you can, the error should appear. As before though, it's a finicky and tricky thing to reproduce in that it definitely isn't consistent. I'll see if I can work on getting something that always causes the problem because I know that's needed.

user-72.json

Edited by chiroho
Changed description and attached save

Well, it's been a week since I last had a chance to play, and it's still happening in 7.2. The most effective way I've to repoduce the error is:

1) Start game, go straight to equip screen

2) Select an infantryman and switch role to assault.

3) Select belt items from the right-hand equip tab, add a few grenades to the backpack then start randomly moving items back and forth, ensuring that you place an item on another item. (so move a grenade to a grenade). Sooner or later it will happen. 

It's weird because it doesn't affect all the soldiers equally; some are normal, some only have issues with grenades, and some have major issues with armour and weapons. There doesn't appear to be a correlation let alone an obvious causation that we can say "If xyx then abc happens"