Showing aircraft operative ranges on the Geoscape

Would make it easier to quickly discern whether a UFO is worth pursuing or not is all, and could also help decide where to place the initial bases (to cover as much landmass with the initial Chinook as possible). Being able to Toggle radar wouldn't hurt either as the coverage is essentially useless information once the bases are placed (except for UFOs leaving the detection range, but that is a corner case anyhow).

I think Chris mentioned this waaay back when the Earth was still young, but IIRC it would be problematic to implement considering how the game works, or somesuch. That being said, it would be nice to have some sort of indicator of just how far my interceptors can go.

• 4 weeks later...

If I remember correctly from previous discussions on this, the problem with trying to show the range of an aircraft in flight is that the aircraft has a different range depending on direction of travel relative to its base of operations. When the aircraft launches it's a nice circle, but the further away it is from the base the more it starts to represent an elongated teardrop shape, with the pointed end of the teardrop being at the base. The calculations to show the shape on screen are reasonably complicated and the shape looks very odd to the user.

Was thinking, you could just draw a small line from the aircraft to the selected target, the green or white part of the line indicates, yes I have fuel here, but the outside fuel range part can be red and easily identifiable.

It be nice perhaps if this was also indicated when selecting the vehicle to perform the task. (I notice some show up as green in list but I really don't think that is indicated operation range for selection as sometimes it clearly is WAY outside of op range and is still green).

• 2 weeks later...