Risk and Speed

The way TUs are handled right now makes me think a lot of Vagrant Story, and I'd love to see something similar done if we're talking about a theoretically near infinite attack situation. 

Namely, why not have accuracy scale down with TU useage? If someone attacks 7 times per round, it should absolutely make sense for them to be hitting near nothing by the third attack, unless at point blank range. 

1 hour ago, Ruggerman said:

With the system in place, the longer you take to aim the more TU's you use, so is this not already part of this game or should it be increased.

It should definitely be. Before, with scaling being % based, you were limited to a certain number of shots per round, but TU was still useful for doing more inventory shuffling, scouting, and so on. Now I have guys with 150 TUs wiping Battleships while never even being scratched...or shot at most of that time. They can fire an LMG 5 times and still move crazy far. Once Exo Armor and Plasma Casters came into play, even Terror Missions were taking 2-3 rounds on average. I like the scaling idea, but would like to see more of a downside to the absurd turn utility you get right now. I should point out that I haven't even needed to take these guys on that many outings, they've just been doing rando assignments and training most of the time, while we sit around. The only missions I did that whole campaign were New UFOs, Bases, Raids, and Terror Missions. 

As characters get more TU/turn and firing their weapons the same number of TUs, they are firing faster.

Why, then, are the soldiers also firing more accurately for the same TU cost?

They should be able to aim and fire just as accurately, but faster, or just as fast, but more accurately.

Yes, they are developing two different stats that affect two different things in the interface, but that's easy enough to fix: Have a base TU cost for the shot, and allow additional 'aiming' TUs to be spent. Total TUs determine how fast they pull the trigger, while accuracy would determine the added effect of each percent of maximum TUs spent aiming.

8 hours ago, Decius said:

As characters get more TU/turn and firing their weapons the same number of TUs, they are firing faster.

Why, then, are the soldiers also firing more accurately for the same TU cost?

They should be able to aim and fire just as accurately, but faster, or just as fast, but more accurately.

Yes, they are developing two different stats that affect two different things in the interface, but that's easy enough to fix: Have a base TU cost for the shot, and allow additional 'aiming' TUs to be spent. Total TUs determine how fast they pull the trigger, while accuracy would determine the added effect of each percent of maximum TUs spent aiming.

It's broken as is, why make it even stronger? Lowering accuracy would make sense with recoil, right now there's no contest after the first couple months. 

On 8/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, Coffee Potato said:

It's broken as is, why make it even stronger? Lowering accuracy would make sense with recoil, right now there's no contest after the first couple months. 

Sure, give burst fire a recoil penalty.

I'm specifically talking about firing multiple shots, not faster bursts.

1 hour ago, Decius said:

Sure, give burst fire a recoil penalty.

I'm specifically talking about firing multiple shots, not faster bursts.

True, makes sense, kinda sounds like the Silent Storm system, actually. Snapshots are blind, Rapid fire is blind, Aiming is costly, but standard shots improve with every pop. Given how many times it comes to mind, I'm hoping they take a look at S2 and S3 for older versions of ideas. 

4 hours ago, Max_Caine said:

Well, it's all change now. Now using a weapon will cost a percentage of total TUs rather than a flat cost. 

I can still hold out for more experienced operators to be able to fire more quickly, not just run faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Decius said:

I can still hold out for more experienced operators to be able to fire more quickly, not just run faster.

XDiv sort of found a way around this by layers of armor stat bonuses and locked reload costs that used this same system, but allowed the vets to retain far more movement utility. For example I always treasure when a unit is able to get to the point where they can move, fire and reload a rocket launcher in the same turn.

15 hours ago, Coffee Potato said:

XDiv sort of found a way around this by layers of armor stat bonuses and locked reload costs that used this same system, but allowed the vets to retain far more movement utility. For example I always treasure when a unit is able to get to the point where they can move, fire and reload a rocket launcher in the same turn.

I'd also like for movement speed to be a thing that you could trade off in a meaningful way. The sprinting speed of someone with a light weapon should be much higher than that of someone with a standard load.