How many different Biomes\Environments are there?

This is an aspect it shouldn't be understimated.

In a long campaign, repeating similar looking maps over and over can kill the game.

Xcom2+Wotc did great in this regard with plenty of different scenarios (desert, forest, city, underground, wasteland, ecc)

Phoenix Point, on the other side, doesn't look promising because all the maps look like industrial areas, and this will get boring sooner than people may expect.

So i ask, how many different type of areas will be in the game? Can we expect a decent amount of variations? 

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 1

Yeah, there's quite a few different environments - Polar, Boreal, Temperate / Farm, Arid, Desert, Jungle, Dockyard, Alien Base, Xenonaut Base, Western Town, Soviet Town.

Basically what you got in the first game plus the Boreal and Jungle maps. There's more maps in each biome too.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:08 AM, Chris said:

Yeah, there's quite a few different environments - Polar, Boreal, Temperate / Farm, Arid, Desert, Jungle, Dockyard, Alien Base, Xenonaut Base, Western Town, Soviet Town.

Basically what you got in the first game plus the Boreal and Jungle maps. There's more maps in each biome too.

Random idea here, but have you considered a shopping mall/airport raid map?

Seems like they would be an awesome maps. (Unless avoided for modern reasons. I just always remember the mall and AP fight from Saints Row 2 being some of the glowing moments from that. Amazing for neat set pieces.)

1 hour ago, Emily_F said:

Out of interest, how do you create the maps? Do you have a map editor or do you have to choose them all individually? 

I think they use a plot parcel systems like Xcom 2 does, so u can have some procedural generation but without being completely random.

They're currently manually created from large pre-made blocks. There's no runtime randomisation but creating new maps with the pre-made blocks (particularly wilderness maps) only takes 15-20 minutes each, so we can always make more of them if necessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

They're currently manually created from large pre-made blocks. There's no runtime randomisation but creating new maps with the pre-made blocks (particularly wilderness maps) only takes 15-20 minutes each, so we can always make more of them if necessary.

That would be cool as it would make you think more about tactics rather than just knowing the terrain and where the aliens like to lurk....

• Like 1

In the final Game it would make sense to have automaticly Cards for the Biome you fight (Landingsites for UFO´s, shot down UFO´s, etc.). For the Beta-Tests they are enough atm to test the Groundfights and such. But for the Early Access and for the Final Game more Cards from the Bioms should be there. Every Groundfight should be a Challange for your Troops.

Edited by Alienkiller

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, Chris (or anyone who happens to know), but are there any plans for unique maps for certain areas? By this, I mostly am referring to certain cities that we would assume to end up being important alien targets, e.g. Washington, Moscow, London, Paris, Tokyo, and so on and so forth. While that would be neat, I am not necessarily requesting, I'm just curious on what stance, if any, the team has on that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Arabian Knight said:

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, Chris (or anyone who happens to know), but are there any plans for unique maps for certain areas? By this, I mostly am referring to certain cities that we would assume to end up being important alien targets, e.g. Washington, Moscow, London, Paris, Tokyo, and so on and so forth. While that would be neat, I am not necessarily requesting, I'm just curious on what stance, if any, the team has on that.

That would be so cool, but probably not feasible.  It would take LOADS of coding and art work. 

3 hours ago, Arabian Knight said:

There's no plans for unique maps per city, no - it'd require far too much extra art to be worth the time and money we'd have to spend on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Any interest in doing more developing world themed biomes, since that's the vast majority of the planet? I haven't played the new game, but the old game only really had the desert biome as developing world, while everything else was American farms basically, which is not how 90% of farms on the planet look.

Developing world tile set would be a lot more tactically interesting than the griddy and bland American farm tileset. Consider it for a DLC at least, I would gladly pay like $2-4 for a well made additional tileset like that.

14 hours ago, DNK said:

Any interest in doing more developing world themed biomes, since that's the vast majority of the planet? I haven't played the new game, but the old game only really had the desert biome as developing world, while everything else was American farms basically, which is not how 90% of farms on the planet look.

Developing world tile set would be a lot more tactically interesting than the griddy and bland American farm tileset. Consider it for a DLC at least, I would gladly pay like $2-4 for a well made additional tileset like that.

Il would require a lot of resources and time. American style is used in those kind of games because it's the standard for a generic theme. (think about Xcom, Simcity, The Sims, etc.)

Edited by Mazisky

Diversity of battle grounds, make this type of game a lot more interesting. At this time you land in the Osprey, and some kind of cover is right there, in a similar place each time. So your deployment is similar each time, and it becomes routine, and lacks that situation pressure to get safe, and return or initiate fire, on the enemy.

• Like 1