Weapons and suppression

Why is the LMG so horrendously inaccurate? If it at least caused suppression consistently that would be something, but as it stands it is a useless weapon. Also, a direct hit with a grenade should cause suppression (and the flashbang have a greater effect radius to make up for it) 

I'd assume the system isn't quite in there yet.  It takes all but going full Robocop intro on a guy to get Suppression to trigger right now. The the LMG, I'd assume they also might not have the while "accuracy means the tile, not a hit in general " thing quite done. Can't imagine why it would miss 4/5 times at point blank. It's pretty ok in the hands of a high accuracy high TU unit, at least. 

If suppression works in X2 like it works in X1, weapons do "Suppression Damage" in addition to their normal damage. Suppression damage in X1 damages a hidden health bar which is based on the target's bravery, and this hidden bar refreshes each turn. If the target takes enough suprression damage to drain the hidden bar, the target is suppressed. It looses half its TU and is forced to crouch. The basic bravery of an alien is 60, so it's unlikely (with current weapons) to suppress a Psyon as you're far more likely to kill a Psyon than you are to suppress it, whereas because Sebillians have a larger halth pool (100 for warriors, 160 for brutes), and they regenerate, you're more likely to supress a Sebillian than kill it because its health pool is larger than its bravery.  It is possible to crank up the amaount of suppression damage - I can release a few things I've been tinkering with if people want to try them. Calculating supression is complicated by the fact that in X1:CE, weapon bullets had a "suppression aura" so even missed bullets could deal suppression damage. I guess it's not quite there with X2 yet? 

53 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

If suppression works in X2 like it works in X1, weapons do "Suppression Damage" in addition to their normal damage. Suppression damage in X1 damages a hidden health bar which is based on the target's bravery, and this hidden bar refreshes each turn. If the target takes enough suprression damage to drain the hidden bar, the target is suppressed. It looses half its TU and is forced to crouch. The basic bravery of an alien is 60, so it's unlikely (with current weapons) to suppress a Psyon as you're far more likely to kill a Psyon than you are to suppress it, whereas because Sebillians have a larger halth pool (100 for warriors, 160 for brutes), and they regenerate, you're more likely to supress a Sebillian than kill it because its health pool is larger than its bravery.  It is possible to crank up the amaount of suppression damage - I can release a few things I've been tinkering with if people want to try them. Calculating supression is complicated by the fact that in X1:CE, weapon bullets had a "suppression aura" so even missed bullets could deal suppression damage. I guess it's not quite there with X2 yet? 

Not quite yet, it seems. You can suppress, but it literally takes like 3 point blank shotguns and an hmg that somehow missed most of it's shots at point blank to do it. Most things die first.

• Like 1

Looks like suppression is bugged, actually - it's only applying suppression damage if the shots actually hit the target. This obviously means low accuracy but high suppression weapons aren't doing their job properly because they don't score many hits.

• Thanks 2

yeah it would be pretty bad if you actually had to hit the target to suppress it, as suppression should be used to stop a fortified enemy position from firing at soldiers trying to flank it.

but I do have to note that even in X1 the MG wasn't all that effective at applying the status on enemies if there wasn't already a relatively high chance of outright killing the enemy, early game teams had to rely on the flashbang for reliable suppression. MGs became reliable to suppress in the mid-game just before they became the murder weapon of choice

• Like 1