UFO Recovery & Dissasembly

2 hours ago, TrashMan said:

UFO AI just hada simple "dissasemble" project (you would select which UFO from the UFO yard you want to dissasemble). Naturally, the time necessary would depend on the number of engineers and UFO size, and the materials you get would depend on the UFO

Yeah, I sorta had that in mind when I was playing about with the stuff a few months ago. The disassembly could be a contextual right-click option on the item in the Base Stores, rather than on the Workshop screen. The easiest way is just to have it take place instantly but it's probably not beyond the realms of possibility for it to spawn a project in the workshop queue, which would result in a much less cluttered Workshop interface (and potentially even allow multiple types of disassembly project for the same item).

• Like 1

The way I see it, dissasembly can be done in 2 ways:

ON THE LOCATION - you send scientist/engineers to the UFO, kinda like a strategic operation, but you can assign the number of people. Simpler to implement, but raises issues - you are sending people out of the base and the aliens can attack and destroy the UFO, since they know where it crashed. 

STORAGE - the UFO is recovered and stored in a safe location (UFO Yard, guess it could be a facility like a radar station/sam site). THEN you dissasemble from there. I guess scientist/engineer could be transfered to the yard to work there like it was another base? OR the Yard could work like a permanent Strategic Operation Location?

TrashMan that´s not only in UFO AI. UFO Extraterestials from 2007 and it´s Gold-Version had the Same. Before you could get UFO-Technology you had to dissasemble the UFO´s first. But there it is a normal Research Project. After that you can Research the internals like UFO-Structures (Walls, Engines, Weapons etc.) and Electronics (Computers, Wires, Pipes, etc.).

I find your Ideas good. That would bring in more cool Geoscape Stuff what the Game need. There are similar Geoscape Missions already build in (Kill Infiltrator, Recrut Scientists / Workers or get Money instead, etc.). Why not, we could test that researches in the last Beta or an early Early Acces Status. Belongs on the Devs how they could bring that in.

Btw. We could get an other Rival too, because UFO2ET isn´t dead yet. Only one Version of the Game (Chaos Concept worked on 2) is canceld. The Game is called now only UFO2Extraterestials: Battle for Mercury! Release should be this year too, if the Information on the Website is correct.

Edited by Alienkiller

• 3 weeks later...

1. Making ground missions more of a "looting" operation rather than a "get tech to research and grind stats" operation would be welcomed. In X1 I never really felt like I didn't have enough of any alien components, so ground missions had a sort of pointless feel to them as far as progression went - money was always the issue. X-Div definitely improved on that, though it then went into hyperdrive and drove off a cliff with that, so maybe dial it back a bit. I just recall in TOG that I always craved a good ground mission so I could get whatever it was I needed, alenium usually was the thing. X1 the only thing really lacking was money always, so while ground missions worked into that (if you were good at them...), money alone is a very uninspired scarcity mechanic that rings a little too close to my real home.

2. For the love of god, do not implement X-Div's research/manufacturing process. Every R&D project they added was basically pointless, and I still have no clue how the actual manufacturing worked, and regardless figuring out what you could produce after a ground mission was a PITA given you had to click around a bunch to find entries that had all black material prereqs... and there were a bajillion materials... just no. I'm sure there's a better way to handle that, but it will require a significant UI overhaul or a very streamlined approach.

3. Giving the player a [TOG laser weapons-esque] profitable manufacturing option, but have it be limited by ground mission loot would be nice (alloys work well for that, but multiple options is nice). I know ground missions are inherently profitable from what you can sell off, but this integrates it more fully with base management and adds depth for those players that want it for pretty minimal coding input I imagine. Balancing shouldn't be too hard when it's basically an "extra loot" from missions. If players want to grind out every GC so they can build up a few manufacturing-mill bases for profit and crush the game financially, well, they should be allowed to. The vast majority of players probably won't go through all that, but the hardcore will love you for it. Increasing difficulty levels should drop that profitability sharply, so NG+3 will basically nix it. It's fine if NG is unbalanced for being too easy (I like that, I want to just have fun sometimes).

Edited by DNK

11 hours ago, DNK said:

1. Making ground missions more of a "looting" operation rather than a "get tech to research and grind stats" operation would be welcomed. In X1 I never really felt like I didn't have enough of any alien components, so ground missions had a sort of pointless feel to them as far as progression went - money was always the issue. X-Div definitely improved on that, though it then went into hyperdrive and drove off a cliff with that, so maybe dial it back a bit. I just recall in TOG that I always craved a good ground mission so I could get whatever it was I needed, alenium usually was the thing. X1 the only thing really lacking was money always, so while ground missions worked into that (if you were good at them...), money alone is a very uninspired scarcity mechanic that rings a little too close to my real home.

2. For the love of god, do not implement X-Div's research/manufacturing process. Every R&D project they added was basically pointless, and I still have no clue how the actual manufacturing worked, and regardless figuring out what you could produce after a ground mission was a PITA given you had to click around a bunch to find entries that had all black material prereqs... and there were a bajillion materials... just no. I'm sure there's a better way to handle that, but it will require a significant UI overhaul or a very streamlined approach.

3. Giving the player a [TOG laser weapons-esque] profitable manufacturing option, but have it be limited by ground mission loot would be nice (alloys work well for that, but multiple options is nice). I know ground missions are inherently profitable from what you can sell off, but this integrates it more fully with base management and adds depth for those players that want it for pretty minimal coding input I imagine. Balancing shouldn't be too hard when it's basically an "extra loot" from missions. If players want to grind out every GC so they can build up a few manufacturing-mill bases for profit and crush the game financially, well, they should be allowed to. The vast majority of players probably won't go through all that, but the hardcore will love you for it. Increasing difficulty levels should drop that profitability sharply, so NG+3 will basically nix it. It's fine if NG is unbalanced for being too easy (I like that, I want to just have fun sometimes).

I will say, in defense of XDiv's system, while it did go a bit overboard, it generally did something the game needed, IE keep the engineers doing something more than just warming the bench for the majority of the run. Usually I never bothered getting more engineers, even on Insane, as you said, cost was the real limiter on engineering. 

In terms of their purpose, the way I see it, it adds another layer to the manufacturing, since components are needed to craft most projects. This adds a nice hunting factor where capturing more of a certain UFO type unlocks a couple more fighters or Focus Lenses, or what have you every time, The leftovers can also come in handy in a pinch later. It just gives that constant feeling of needing more parts.

That being said, the part that was kind of just filler was the Fibers, in my opinion. Most of the bodies could be processed into fibers, and while this adds some tension to early game, once I started mass producing Shock Rockets and capturing dang near everything, we were just swimming in them. Even then, there was enough variety with materials that it kinda feels like digging through an old attic for missing treasures.

I think it's a big part of what's kept my current campaign providing something new every time, despite the fact that it's been going on for months. It's just that constant reward loop that keeps things sweet.