Xenonauts-2 Base Mechanics Update

After more than two weeks we've decided to close the poll about our X2 Base Mechanics. The results were as follows:

poll_results.PNG

The voting pattern for this survey stayed fairly consistent from the very early stages of the voting up to the current level of nearly 2,000 responses: 50% were in favour of the old X1 mechanics, 40% thought the developer should make the decision, and 10% were in favour of the current X2 system. As the stated position of the developers is that switching back to the old X1 system would be better, the results overwhelmingly support the old X1 mechanics over the current X2 ones.

As such, we're planning to immediately start work on implementing the old multiple-base system with the goal of getting it functional before we launch into Early Access. The specifics of the system will be as follows:

• All bases will have a construction grid upon which you can build base structures
  • All bases can house aircraft and radars
  • We will support X1-style base defence missions where you fight in a battle in a replica of your base, barring any unforeseen technical issues that prevent this
  • The X2 system where you can assign scientists / engineers to specific buildings will be retained
  • Dropships will fly around the map like they do in X1, and can carry out multiple missions in sequence (and be shot down) etc
  • Your organisation will be able to build multiple dropships
  • Staff and items will be global resources, so you can assign your staff to structures in any of your bases and your soldiers to any dropship

The decision to make staff and items global is not necessarily our final decision on the matter, but we're going to see how the global setup plays before we make any further decisions. Making staff and items specific to each base is going to require a lot of coding time, is going to force the addition of a lot of new UI, and is going to react in an uncertain way with several game mechanics we're still experimenting with (like Strategic Operations). We'll therefore be making a decision on that issue later in development once we have a better feel for how it will affect gameplay.

I hope the 10% of people that voted for the X2 mechanics don't feel too let down by this change, and I apologise if anyone bought the game on the premise that it would have the X2 base mechanics only to find they are now getting a game with the X1 base mechanics instead. Really, all I can say is that having tested both models I genuinely feel like the X1 mechanics are the best choice for the game.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chris said:

We will support X1-style base defence missions where you fight in a battle in a replica of your base, barring any unforeseen technical issues that prevent this

4 hours ago, Chris said:
  • Dropships will fly around the map like they do in X1, and can carry out multiple missions in sequence (and be shot down) etc
  • Your organisation will be able to build multiple dropships

WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

What the Fuck?

I hate the X1-Model of that Base- and Dropship everywhere. That will destroy X2 again. And we tested the new System of the new Game for how long now? And now People which haven´t any Idea of Betatesting and Betatestingtime are saying they wanna have the old Basemodel back. :mad:

I know it will be the scrap system of the old Game. And Yes the 10 % are :mad: about this. Expect to sale out Development-Money back to them.

The old base mechanics were OK, but you were limited to a set number of blocks to build the base, I would have like it to be more flexible.

I was wondering just how they were going to have the base layout, with alien attacks with the side view?

• Like 1

Attacks were like normal Battle-Cards. That isn´t a Problem. But if we wanna have old base concepts we can play the old X-Com Series or the 12 / 13 year old UFO Extraterestials. 

For that we don´t need X2. Why should we test more if the Scrap Concept is comming back? Then we Betatesters wasted our time.

Edited by Alienkiller

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

Attacks were like normal Battle-Cards. That isn´t a Problem. But if we wanna have old base concepts we can play the old X-Com Series or the 12 / 13 year old UFO Extraterestials. 

For that we don´t need X2. Why should we test more if the Scrap Concept is comming back? Then we Betatesters wasted our time.

I don't think you can assume the people playing the beta all want to keep the current X2 base mechanics just because you prefer them. It's probably the same 50% / 40% / 10% split among the beta testers as it is among the general Kickstarter backers.

However, as I said in the Kickstarter post, I do understand that some people will be disappointed with this choice. If anyone thinks it is a large enough change that they no longer want to play the final version of Xenonauts 2 then I am willing to cancel their keys and offer them a refund their Kickstarter pledge with no hard feelings. If anyone wants to do that, either send me a direct message on the forums or send me an email (address in my signature) and we'll get it sorted out.

Sorry Chris, if I was a little aggressive with my words. But a Change vom 0 to 100 from a good Idea and Base Concept to an scrappy one enrage me. Why I´m so enraged? The Answer is easy. The 180 Degres turn from the new System (we had Betatested since a longe time now) to the scrappy one (without big challanges anymore like in X1) destroys the Story for X2 completly. The Storyline belongs on Atlas-Base (Main Base) where all intersting things will happen. That is what is promised from Kickstarter and had to be implemented from Beginn to the End.

If you do a similar Base concept like in the Predecessor about some reasons (maybe some things won´t work correctly), then take the 13 Year old Concept from UFO Extrateresstials with some Improvements. In UFO ET and the new XCom Series you have a similar Concept: 1 Main Base (an old UFO or a secret Base) and the others are small secret interceptor Bases. The UFO-After-Series had a similar Concept.

The following Points for the Storyline of Xenonauts 2 have to be retained:

1. Main Base (Atlas-Base) for the Storyline with everything and only everything from Manufacturing, Research etc. is going here like we tested up to now.

2. Secondary Basis (Interceptor-Bases) which are limited about the radar Coverige [max. 4]. The Interceptor Bases have only the personal for Refuel, Rearm, Repair and Upgrade / Change the Interceptors. Nothing more.

3. New Interceptor-Parts can only be build on Main Base and the Parts will be send to Interceptor Bases, which will then be mount together for Upgrading the Interceptors or build up new ones.

4. The Researchers and Technicans are only recrutable from the Missions on Geoscape (a nice thing you have implemented; similar to the new XCom-Series)

5. Transport Crafts for Interceptor-Bases are only availible for Transport needed Material or technical Personal which can´t be used on Main Base (like new Interceptor-Parts are Availible to upgrade our Fighters or 3 Technicans are to much for Main Base, we can use them on Interceptor Base 2 instead).

But not for X-Thousend more Soldiers. That will make the Game to easy. If you have played the new XCom-Series, UFO ET or the UFO-After-Series you have 1 Main Base and 1 Transport. You can´t make all Missions with an Troop and that´s realistic.

Edited by Alienkiller

@Alienkiller to be honest, I didn't mind either way which base model they used. In X1 I nearly always had a main base, and the rest were radar /interceptor bases. I might have a backup engineering lab and some spare soldiers with hand - me-down kit from the main base in case the aliens took out my main base (or I won but lost a good number of my main trips). I'd send this second squad to deal with smaller UFOs to make sure they didn't have total rookie stats. Hopefully the new version will be able to have a mixture of the two ideas. Especially being able to build base defences. It would be nice to be able to build some internal defences too, or be able to upgrade some buildings to have some static defences. 

Internal Defenses or Rocket-, MG-, Laser or such outside are fully ok. But not a second and third Squad like in X1 in second and third Base like in the orignal X-Com-Series. In the original X-Com Series it was OK, becuase the Devs hand´t any Choise about the technical Issues in Development. That´s why the old Base concept had to be brought in.

In X1 this System were outdated, but tested again. Chris and the others Devs themselfs said that this Base System "was a big Failure" for the Game in our new time. That Base System destroyed the Gamestory and Game fully, so a new Concept have to be done in Xenonauts 2.

To get out of the Dillema from the old Game (you had 3 fully Bases with everything) and got only the same playstile left [every 5 Minutes shoot down Ufos and recover them to the end of Xenonauts 1] the Devs wanna bring a new Base Concept, which get a new Storyline too. That all is promised in Kickstarter. And we all know that is not easy to Manage.

No one wanna have a big renege on that Promise. And the old Base Concept is a NO GO. Some of you wanna say: "Come on that´s not so fatal or something else." Normaly I wanna say that too, but that´s not a normal case.

1. This Project is financed from Backers and on Kickstarter (like X1). So the Project is ruled to the final End like I have read in the KS-Rules.

2. The Budget is limited. Such a change from an existing Base system to a new one will minimise the Founds for other Parts of the Game.

3. We have our first big renege on that Promise if the old Base concept comes back. That don´t cast a positive light on the Company.

We all know that is a Dillema, esp. for the Devs in the Final Phase to bring the Game to Early Acces. They have to explain Kickstarter and their Backers now why they have to break their Promise in Base Concept. And that´s not easy.

I played all Games from that Gerne which come out (the complete old X-Com Series, complete UFO-After-Series, the new XCom-Series and UFO Extraterestials). Of course Xenonauts 1 too and some other Fan-Remakes. So I know the old Style (Reference Microprose X-Com-Series and Xenonauts 1) and the new One (Firaxis X-Com, Phoenix Point [only Vids and Pictures about you can´t play it on Steam, GoG] and Xenonauts 2 atm]). They all have their Advantages and Disadvanteges.

To minimise the Dillemma and not to have a big renege in the Base System my offer is to use the Middleway which Chaos Concept envolved for UFO Extraterestials. They used Fighter Bases (you can build external Defenses as well as some Hangars for the Fighters but not more) and used the 1 Main-Base-Build from the newest Concepts (where the Main-Story get handeld with Soldiers, R&D etc.).

To upgrade that Middleway (which is the only Way for the Game in the Base-Conflict) the secondary Bases can get a Storage Room for Plane-Parts too as well as Rooms for the Technikans. The Technicans and Pilots for that Bases are the only Humans there. Nothing else. The Hangars are used for Fighters and 1 Material-Transport from Main Base.

That´s the only Way to get a compromise between the Players of the new Conept-Stile and the old Concept Style.

I played all 3 Concepts. My Favorite is the new Style, but the Middleway envolved from Chaos Concept is the best Solution for that Case. If we get the Middleway it´s acceptable for me, because I knowed that it will be hard to finalise the Promises from Kickstarter

Edited by Alienkiller

38 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

35 minutes ago, Alienkiller said:

1. This Project is financed from Backers and on Kickstarter (like X1). So the Project is ruled to the final End like I have read in the KS-Rules.

2. The Budget is limited. Such a change from an existing Base system to a new one will minimise the Founds for other Parts of the Game.

3. We have our first big renege on that Promise if the old Base concept comes back. That don´t cast a positive light on the Company.

We all know that is a Dillema, esp. for the Devs in the Final Phase to bring the Game to Early Acces. They have to explain Kickstarter and their Backers now why they have to break their Promise in Base Concept. And that´s not easy.

OK, it isn't fully clear what you're trying to say but I think it is unfair to say that @Chrisand the team have reneged on the promise; they implemented it and presented it to the Kickstarters in two waves.  Turns out that the consensus of both waves is that people preferred the old model. They even put it to a referendum, and at the end of the day the winner takes all in a referendum.  Unless you're in the EU, of course <cough, cough, Brexit won, cough cough>.   

Now, I agree it shouldn't be exactly the same as the first game, otherwise there's no point to the sequel.  But if the current version isn't working (and I agree with those who hate the air combat but, again, I am happy just to do the auto-resolve for that bit). 

Rather than whine and stamp your foot because you don't like it (which is never a good look, especially when you're in the minority), why not suggest positive ideas of how it could be better?  You're more likely to get a result you're happy with.  Or, Chris has said they're happy to refund your original Kickstarter payment if it really is a deal-breaker for you. 

I said: If that old Base Concept will be done it is a reneged promise. 

So we talk about a solution that won´t happen. And I have already make a positive Idea to minimise the Problem!

1 hour ago, Alienkiller said:

To minimise the Dillemma and not to have a big renege in the Base System my offer is to use the Middleway which Chaos Concept envolved for UFO Extraterestials. They used Fighter Bases (you can build external Defenses as well as some Hangars for the Fighters but not more) and used the 1 Main-Base-Build from the newest Concepts (where the Main-Story get handeld with Soldiers, R&D etc.).

To upgrade that Middleway (which is the only Way for the Game in the Base-Conflict) the secondary Bases can get a Storage Room for Plane-Parts too as well as Rooms for the Technikans. The Technicans and Pilots for that Bases are the only Humans there. Nothing else. The Hangars are used for Fighters and 1 Material-Transport from Main Base.

That´s the only Way to get a compromise between the Players of the new Conept-Stile and the old Concept Style.

In Short: Use the Base Design Concept, which made Chaos Concept 13 Years ago and modify it a little. You have your Main Base (Atlas-Base) for the Storyline where everything will be done. Then you can build up 4 Fighter Bases on strategic Points. 4 are enough, you don´t need more with full Radar, later Scanners.

Then the Concept looks out aproximatly:

1. Main-Base (Atlas Base): full R&D, all Soldiers and Attack-Transport, Generators, Training Centers, Sickbay, 1 Hangar for the Transport-Craft, etc. etc. etc. [like it´s now and in UFO ET, new XCom and UFO Afterlight]; as additional 1 or 2 Hangars for fighter Crafts, nothing more

2. Fighter Bases (max. 4 Secondary / Decoy Bases): aditional fighters, 2 small Blocks or 1 medium / big one for Technicans, Storage Rooms, Hangars and internal / external automatic Defenses

3. the other things will be done in strategical Missions like hire more Scientists, Technicans etc. on the Geoscape (like in new XCom and it´s now in X2)

Edited by Alienkiller

I'm happy with this compromise, being in the 10. The idea of not carting around units sounds neat, I'm curious to see how it plays. My only thing is that in base defenses, I hope soldiers are randomly chosen to simulate them being in rotation, as opposed to just appearing. I suppose the whole teleportation thing can come up here, but still. 

Good news to go back to x1-Base-Build (now I for example will buy the game, I wouldn't have without)...

...but dear Goldhawk Team...

...this shows worst management at its best!

Next time you should do a poll at the beginning of your development not after you made your first enginge-builds.

It saves your team a lot of works and your costumers a lot of nerves.

May I ask about a statement how much time the GoldHawk-Team lost because of this (in my eyes) late change of styles?

Edited by ShadowAdmiral

20 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

Internal Defenses or Rocket-, MG-, Laser or such outside are fully ok. But not a second and third Squad like in X1 in second and third Base like in the orignal X-Com-Series. In the original X-Com Series it was OK, becuase the Devs hand´t any Choise about the technical Issues in Development. That´s why the old Base concept had to be brought in.

In X1 this System were outdated, but tested again. Chris and the others Devs themselfs said that this Base System "was a big Failure" for the Game in our new time. That Base System destroyed the Gamestory and Game fully, so a new Concept have to be done in Xenonauts 2.

To get out of the Dillema from the old Game (you had 3 fully Bases with everything) and got only the same playstile left [every 5 Minutes shoot down Ufos and recover them to the end of Xenonauts 1] the Devs wanna bring a new Base Concept, which get a new Storyline too. That all is promised in Kickstarter. And we all know that is not easy to Manage.

No one wanna have a big renege on that Promise. And the old Base Concept is a NO GO. Some of you wanna say: "Come on that´s not so fatal or something else." Normaly I wanna say that too, but that´s not a normal case.

I played all Games from that Gerne which come out (the complete old X-Com Series, complete UFO-After-Series, the new XCom-Series and UFO Extraterestials). Of course Xenonauts 1 too and some other Fan-Remakes. So I know the old Style (Reference Microprose X-Com-Series and Xenonauts 1) and the new One (Firaxis X-Com, Phoenix Point [only Vids and Pictures about you can´t play it on Steam, GoG] and Xenonauts 2 atm]). They all have their Advantages and Disadvanteges.

I played all 3 Concepts. My Favorite is the new Style, but the Middleway envolved from Chaos Concept is the best Solution for that Case. If we get the Middleway it´s acceptable for me, because I knowed that it will be hard to finalise the Promises from Kickstarter

Have to say I am disappointed with your comments in this thread, especially the accusations against the devs, the general consensus by 90% based on those same backers and people who have pre paid (and if any of those did not vote then that is there own fault if they don't like the results, no, I am not saying you are one), is that they are happy with the idea of the base change so in no way is this a renege on a promise, in no way does it cast any negative light on the company, they stated the issues and what they thought then asked us, the backers to make a choice, we picked overwhelmingly to agree with the devs.

Plus the bottom line here is Chris has been very nice about it and said they will refund those who are very unhappy here, this is not normal behaviour for gaming companies, look at EA, the general response is a kick to the nuts so in all I think Chris and Goldhawk have been very open and honest the whole way through this, don't get me wrong, it would be wonderful for everyone to be happy and its crappy that you are obviously not, sorry for that, but 90% in favour of change is not something that can be ignored.

• Like 1

I´m the only one which give a decent Solution for the Base Concept Problem to the Devs, because I know all of the Base Concepts from that Games:

- the outdated old Base Concept: (old X-Com-Series and Xenonauts 1) = bad system, that´s why it is canceled for X2

- the new Base Concept: (new XCom Series, Phoenix Point, Beta-Version for Xenonauts 2) = good system, but not practicable enough for Xenonauts 2 about compatibility errors and such with the other Things in X2

- Middleway: (get in in UFO Extraterestials [2006] and UFO2Extraterestials [sadly never come]) = best way for Xenonauts 2 and other Remakes, because it will get 2D / 3D old Base Concept with Compromises

@ Coffee Potato: Thanks for the Support. I see that you have played UFO Extratrestials too and know what I´m talking about.

@ Chris and other Devs: That´s my know-how about the Base Concepts for such Games. Chaos Games made the Compromise Base-System 15 Years ago for UFO ET. And there is nothing more you can use as the 3 concepts told above.

Like we have seen in X1 the old Base Stile (no Main Base, all Bases are the Same) won´t work. And in the Beta from X2 the new Base Stile (like in XCom EU / EW and XCom2 / XCom2 WotC) has to many compatibily Problems to fix or rework. So you decided to go back to the Main-Base Stile (Atlas Base) with secondary Bases in 3D Top-Looking. That´s fully OK if the other compatibilitys are functuning then without Problems.

My Advise is to use that Middleway-Base-Build. It´s perfect for the Base Concept-Rework for X2 as well as the Game itself, like UFO Extraterestials show it. And I would be happy to see it again in Xenonauts 2.

But do me a favour and let the Secondary Base-Build limited to get the Game more exciting like it is now. Max. 4 Secondary Bases on strategic Points which the Player can choose. Like in UFO Extraterestials the buildable Structures are limited for the Fighter Bases:

- Radars / later Scanners [like now, but combined with the Main Base-Central, which needs Technicans too]

- Living Areas: max. 2 small or 1 big living-Area for Technicans and Pilots [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

- Storages: max. 4 small or 2 Big Storages for the Fighter Parts and Weapons [like in good old X-Com and in the Main-Base (ATLAS-Base) with slavaged / produced Things; not included in UFO ET, which was very very sad]

- 1 Sick Bay (if the Pilots or Technicans get hurt on her Work) [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

- Base Defences (belongs how much Hangar Capacity the Player uses, so he / she can choose either for Defenses or Hangar Capacity)

- Hangar Capacitys [like in X2 now = 1 Hangar = 1 Fighter]

- as well as 1 seperate and closed Hangar only for the Material-Transport (for Upgrade-Parts / changable fighter Parts for repairs / new Weapons or recruted Technicans as well as Docs) [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

That makes the Main Base to something special and the Secondary Bases get some more Features then they have in UFO ET. That´s a Base Concept which is the best on the Market in combination to the old Base-Concept-Form. And it´s like I said perfect for the Gamestyle for X2.

@ all others: I´m not going against the Devs. I bring in facts what has to be done that the Game won´t be scrappy like the first X1. The Devs themselfs said that the old base Concept and System as well as the less Geoscape Options in the first Game are scrap. They couldn´t fix it, so they decided to make X2 with better Story, a Main-Base which is the Point of Gameplay etc. That´s why the Backers invested in Xenonauts 2 and test the Beta-Versions.

If I were conniving that interchange would´t be done. I´m very friendly and give Suggestions for a Solution instead. And we have only 3 Ways to solve the Base-Concept-Problem. 1 of them isn´t acceptable, so I give the Devs an Solution. Everything I hear from you aren´t solutions, only disagrees and abuses.

If we get the same Game (X1) only in new Graphics the Money isn´t worth Kickstarter get from the Backers. We all know that the Promises on Kickstarter and on Steam / GoG are hard to get. In that Case all Games need Compromises. I said too that if we don´t get the Atlas-Base from the Beta (and Pictures from Kickstarter, Steam etc.) in the Final Game I´m happy too with a compromise. But not the old Base System from X1. That´s absolutely indiscutable!!!

That you only see only Black or White belongs in the Reason that you haven´t played UFO Extraterestials. Play it and build some Secondary Bases. You will get it for some Bucks in Steam. Then you see what I mean with the cool 1 Main-Base Concept and cool Secondary Second-Base Concept. That´s why I gave the Devs the Advise to use this. And it´s perfect for the Base Concept-Rework for X2 as well as the Game itself.

Edited by Alienkiller

Alienkiller, remember that 50% of the votes were for the X1 base system (over a thousand people) and 10% of the votes for the X2 base system. I appreciate the ideas you're putting forward (I have played and completed UFO: Extraterrestrials in the past) but I don't think there would be much support for a new third option even if I did want that, and honestly I don't really want to hold another vote on the topic. Especially as we've already started work on the code updates to move back to the X1 system.

As I said before, I totally understand some people just don't like the X1 base mechanics and I'm happy to refund people who feel that way - but the poll suggests the community is overwhelmingly in favour of these changes. I'm sorry that you're not happy with the decision that has been made, but we can't now change it based on one or two people posting on our forums.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

I´m the only one which give a decent Solution for the Base Concept Problem to the Devs, because I know all of the Base Concepts from that Games:

- the outdated old Base Concept: (old X-Com-Series and Xenonauts 1) = bad system, that´s why it is canceled for X2

- the new Base Concept: (new XCom Series, Phoenix Point, Beta-Version for Xenonauts 2) = good system, but not practicable enough for Xenonauts 2 about compatibility errors and such with the other Things in X2

- Middleway: (get in in UFO Extraterestials [2006] and UFO2Extraterestials [sadly never come]) = best way for Xenonauts 2 and other Remakes, because it will get 2D / 3D old Base Concept with Compromises

@ Coffee Potato: Thanks for the Support. I see that you have played UFO Extratrestials too and know what I´m talking about.

@ Chris and other Devs: That´s my know-how about the Base Concepts for such Games. Chaos Games made the Compromise Base-System 15 Years ago for UFO ET. And there is nothing more you can use as the 3 concepts told above.

Like we have seen in X1 the old Base Stile (no Main Base, all Bases are the Same) won´t work. And in the Beta from X2 the new Base Stile (like in XCom EU / EW and XCom2 / XCom2 WotC) has to many compatibily Problems to fix or rework. So you decided to go back to the Main-Base Stile (Atlas Base) with secondary Bases in 3D Top-Looking. That´s fully OK if the other compatibilitys are functuning then without Problems.

My Advise is to use that Middleway-Base-Build. It´s perfect for the Base Concept-Rework for X2 as well as the Game itself, like UFO Extraterestials show it. And I would be happy to see it again in Xenonauts 2.

But do me a favour and let the Secondary Base-Build limited to get the Game more exciting like it is now. Max. 4 Secondary Bases on strategic Points which the Player can choose. Like in UFO Extraterestials the buildable Structures are limited for the Fighter Bases:

- Radars / later Scanners [like now, but combined with the Main Base-Central, which needs Technicans too]

- Living Areas: max. 2 small or 1 big living-Area for Technicans and Pilots [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

- Storages: max. 4 small or 2 Big Storages for the Fighter Parts and Weapons [like in good old X-Com and in the Main-Base (ATLAS-Base) with slavaged / produced Things; not included in UFO ET, which was very very sad]

- 1 Sick Bay (if the Pilots or Technicans get hurt on her Work) [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

- Base Defences (belongs how much Hangar Capacity the Player uses, so he / she can choose either for Defenses or Hangar Capacity)

- Hangar Capacitys [like in X2 now = 1 Hangar = 1 Fighter]

- as well as 1 seperate and closed Hangar only for the Material-Transport (for Upgrade-Parts / changable fighter Parts for repairs / new Weapons or recruted Technicans as well as Docs) [something special for that Bases, which wasn´t included in UFO ET]

That makes the Main Base to something special and the Secondary Bases get some more Features then they have in UFO ET. That´s a Base Concept which is the best on the Market in combination to the old Base-Concept-Form. And it´s like I said perfect for the Gamestyle for X2.

@ all others: I´m not going against the Devs. I bring in facts what has to be done that the Game won´t be scrappy like the first X1. The Devs themselfs said that the old base Concept and System as well as the less Geoscape Options in the first Game are scrap. They couldn´t fix it, so they decided to make X2 with better Story, a Main-Base which is the Point of Gameplay etc. That´s why the Backers invested in Xenonauts 2 and test the Beta-Versions.

If I were conniving that interchange would´t be done. I´m very friendly and give Suggestions for a Solution instead. And we have only 3 Ways to solve the Base-Concept-Problem. 1 of them isn´t acceptable, so I give the Devs an Solution. Everything I hear from you aren´t solutions, only disagrees and abuses.

If we get the same Game (X1) only in new Graphics the Money isn´t worth Kickstarter get from the Backers. We all know that the Promises on Kickstarter and on Steam / GoG are hard to get. In that Case all Games need Compromises. I said too that if we don´t get the Atlas-Base from the Beta (and Pictures from Kickstarter, Steam etc.) in the Final Game I´m happy too with a compromise. But not the old Base System from X1. That´s absolutely indiscutable!!!

That you only see only Black or White belongs in the Reason that you haven´t played UFO Extraterestials. Play it and build some Secondary Bases. You will get it for some Bucks in Steam. Then you see what I mean with the cool 1 Main-Base Concept and cool Secondary Second-Base Concept. That´s why I gave the Devs the Advise to use this. And it´s perfect for the Base Concept-Rework for X2 as well as the Game itself.

Incorrect, you are the only one being highly vocal about it and in the minority here, many of the rest of us have just as much if not more experience with these types of games so you are not special here and your ideas are not the only way to make this game work, there are not only 3 ways to solve anything.

I do love the comment at the bottom, I have played all the games in the UFO series(originals and remakes and everything in-between), I know exactly what you are referring to, I do not agree that your idea is the only way to solve the base issue and simply have faith in Chris and the Team doing what is best, just because you think it is doesn't make it so, got to disagree with you on the same game comment too I loved X1 and even if this was just a remake into 3D id still happily back it.

I didn't back X2 in any way shape or form based on how the base system worked, I backed it because I loved X1 and have faith Chris and the team will deliver a game i'm happy to play several hundred hrs of like X1 and all the other games like it that I've bought over the years (including all the ones you have so far mentioned as us obviously not playing), it isn't just X1 dumped into 3D though so it's silly bringing it up.

Bottom line is your opinion is just that, yours, there are a whole lot more people who backed this that are happy with X2's progress than not right now based on the poll, like you this is my opinion and it means jack all to anyone else, the difference is I am not insisting I am right and everyone else is wrong or making assumptions based on no data.

Edited by Kaiphus_Kain
  • Like 2

Okay folks, people are starting to repeat themselves and I'm not keen on anyone getting ganged up on, I see enough of that on Twitter. If you haven't got anything new to say, could you move to another discussion - there are plenty going on the X2 general discussion board that could use your input.  

@ Chris and the Devs: Thank´s for the Feedback about the Base-Concept from UFO ET. That´s a System for such Remakes and make the Storyline perfect. An upgraded Version of that should brought in UFO 2ET. But sadly it didn´t come after about 13 Years of Development.

But Back to Xenonauts 2. Sadly in some Cases the Game need a refit to an upgraded old Base System to work correctly. Do not break the Storyline from ATLAS-Base where all the Action is running. A limit for building Sturctures in Secondary Bases is what the Game realy need and should be easy to bring in the harded Codelines like in UFO Extraterestials. That´s all of the Wishes for the upgraded old Base System. In the Endgame (the last 5 %) it dosen´t matter the Game plays like a sloop. But not in the Beginning like X1.

The cool Stuff build in in Xenonauts 2 so far on the Strategic Operations World Map we could test so far are realy great. Don´t change that and bring in more of that. And if you wanna bring in more Transportation Crafts it will give the Game much more level too.

Maybe we will get an last Beta-Version with that for a last Bugfixing-Test. Otherwise we see the outcome in the Early Acces-Variant.

@ Max_Caine: I like the Game and will play it in the End-Version too. But some things have to be cleared and limited for the cool Storyline and cool new Concepts brought in the Game which the Backers could test so far. And like you have seen too on other Chanels, the Game needs People like me to hold the cool Stuff, because others see only Black or White-Concepts. Otherwise it will be like X1 and a shopkeeper after a short while. And that have to be avoided in the Development Phase. 

@ all others: Xenonauts 2 is the last Game for the next 2 Years of that Gerne which comes on the Market and have to be something Special. The only rival is Phoenix Game with a similar but much better Base Concept from what we can see. But we can play Xenonatus 2 on Steam, GoG and Xeolla. Phoenix Game you can only play on Epic-Store for minimum 1 Year (but think of better 2 Years). That´s why we need Xeonauts 2 as a hard rival on Steam with Compromises on Base-Concepts if Phoenix Point is comming faster as we think. And an outdated Base-Concept won´t help against the direct rival. So we need the Compromise Base-Concept for X2 or it will be a shopkeeper after a short while. That´s not mean harm or such, but that will come. Therfore you don´t need to be a visionary.

I don't have a hat in this fight - I don't care which way the base mechanics will go, Ground Combat is much more important to me. Alienkiller, you are clearly and passionately invested in the way that base mechanics wil progress in this game. But you've already said everythig that you're reasonably going to say.  You are repeating yourself, and you don't seem to take a hint. I'm going to lock this thread as at this point there seems to be just hand-wringing anxiety that X2 will fall flat on its face because of the base mechanics rather than productive discussion. 

• Like 1