UFO design

Blowing a wall to breach is not “cheesing it” it is a legitimate real world tactic. If you can achieve tactical surprise and keep your men alive then you are being a good leader, not only in morale terms but in not wasting your highly trained and expensive soldiers.

Yeah, there's a known bug in the game where armour destruction gets applied to terrain too. UFO hulls are extremely resistant to small arms fire ... until they get hit by a few bullets and their resistances get destroyed, and then they start taking full damage from small arms fire.

Once that's fixed you'll have to use C4 or powerful weapons to blast a hole in the UFO hull. It's a medium priority bug for us so hopefully it'll get fixed in the next build or two.

2 hours ago, Ninothree said:

So is making peace or nuking the site from orbit. Neither of which makes for a fun game. 

Depends on the game.........and using tanks, which you can develop in the X games, as breachers or heavy overwatch is a legitimate and fun tactic. 

1 hour ago, Ruggerman said:

I can understand, that when a alien craft is hit by AP or HE that the walls of the craft should be blown away, but with small arms, it should only put bullet holes or partial destruction.

They already confirmed that  this is a bug that should be fixed within a few versions. Apparently they're taking unusually high damage from small arms (presumably like the thermal damage bug from X1, where hitting terrain with fire next to a unit would cause them to get some crazy multipled damage).

6 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

I can understand, that when a alien craft is hit by AP or HE that the walls of the craft should be blown away, but with small arms, it should only put bullet holes or partial destruction.

Totally agree with this, small arms fire should not cause a breach, heavier weaponry such as vehicle weapons, missile launchers and explosives are the way to go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

A more complex system that allows gradual destruction might be interesting; Machinegun fire from moderate range might cause enough damage that the airframe can be seen through well before it does enough damage that the hole is big enough to walk through.

Oh, and "Small arms" generally means "any weapon that can be carried by one person". A light machinegun with skittles rounds is technically 'small arms'.

Actually one of the first first weapons in the Xenonaut armoury should be able to blast a hole if I’m not mistaken. The “missile” launcher which looks remarkably like an RPG7 would be an anti tank weapon in the setting of the Cold War period. Perhaps not for the bigger ships but certainly for the smaller ones.

57 minutes ago, stewpidbear said:

Actually one of the first first weapons in the Xenonaut armoury should be able to blast a hole if I’m not mistaken. The “missile” launcher which looks remarkably like an RPG7 would be an anti tank weapon in the setting of the Cold War period. Perhaps not for the bigger ships but certainly for the smaller ones.

Yeah, would expect that to blast a nice chunk out of the smaller stuff but the bigger UFO's are unlikely to have scout like armour, bit like a Humvee vs a Main battle tank, RPG is going to blow the crap out of one and annoy the hell out of the other :)

That would be very interesting to get 3 Armor level of UFO´s. It´s the same Material but advanced. That could makes the Research & Development much more intersting.

Light Armors (but only with X3 breachable): Scouts and other light Ufos

Medium Armor (you need 2 X3´s for Breach): medium Ships like Destroyer, light Cruiser, Transportships

Heavy Armor (Heavy Guns and new Explosivs): all heavy and superheavy UFO´s

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kaiphus_Kain said:

Yeah, would expect that to blast a nice chunk out of the smaller stuff but the bigger UFO's are unlikely to have scout like armour, bit like a Humvee vs a Main battle tank, RPG is going to blow the crap out of one and annoy the hell out of the other :)

The PG-7VR projectile for the RPG-7 was introduced late in the cold war, and if it doesn't penetrate UFO hull than antiaircraft weapons have no chance of doing so. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PG-7VR

• Like 1

Yep such Weapons have to come in too. One Game gets such Weapons in too, called UFO Extraterestials. If I remember me correctly the Explosives could penetrate the UFO Hulls too, esp. the Big ones from Alien-Tech.

And if UFO2ET is coming out (have seen that Fall 2019 is on the Webpage from Chaos Concept as the latest Release-Date after 13 Years of Development), more such Weapons will come out like Grenade Launchers and such.

23 hours ago, Kaiphus_Kain said:

750mm armour penetration is damn impressive :D

It's also not quite literally true; that charge can penetrate a piece of explosive reactive armor that will not be penetrated by a shaped charge that would penetrate 750mm of hot-rolled steel, which is much different then being able to penetrate two and a half feet of steel itself.

It will, however, have no problem putting a hole straight through anything that a modern non-nuclear antiaircraft missile would damage- modern AA missiles basically throw a bunch of metal at the target, which will penetrate human airframes and hopefully break something important, with some variation for patterns of that metal that are more likely to hit something important.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 2:26 AM, Dagar said:

Have played both of them. What kinds of tactical options does Minecraft offer, exactly? I would not categorize that as a tactical game, maybe aside from Race for the Wool game modes and similar. Seems you are just pointing at blocky, minimalist games for some reason, which I am totally not averse to.

Duh, that is hardly surprising, as the people visiting the forum are fans of the first game in majority, and fans are most of the time critical towards changes in a series. I am not saying that any of the criticism is unwarranted though, just that praise naturally is rare in such situations, especially if the developer tries to change/improve things.

Don't be, you did not. Where you read that from I don't know, bu I'm sorry I've offended you with my opinion, which seems odd from someone who has no problem sharing their own repeatedly and even argumentatively on this very forum. quentially the rest of your sentence is pretty meaningless (but yeah, I like to discuss things, voice my opinion and argue with people. I don't view that as a bad thing).

I asked you to point me to a thread where that was voiced. Especially interesting would be some comment from Goldhawk stating that they are aiming for that mechanism as a consequence of this "loud minority". You failed to deliver the evidence so far, so I am not yet changing my mind. Try again. If you fail, I accept your change in opinion.

Again you are assuming things I did not state, and which, if you think about it for a second, obviously don't make sense. Why are you even doing that? I am trying to have a reasonable, if flippant discussion here. I'd prefer you not watering it down and sidetracking with baseless, emotional claims.

I can assure you I do. I have the equivalent of a B.Sc. in Media Computer Science.

Maybe blocky UFOs can become a visual identity for X2?

That's okay, I can wait and support the developers when I have seen and liked the end product, as I always do.

The only tactical options you care about, of course! Blowing up squares to get inside things.

When you're working on a sequel and you get crowdfunding, generally, not a lot of fuss is a good sign that things are going well.

I'm fluent in English and have a degree in it. I accurately assessed your 180 or so posts (okay, I might have read 60 of them).

I did point you to a thread. This one. Just because you want to argue about the premise doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I disagree. You are not trying to be reasonable. Your post history is that of argumentative, borderline trolling. Reasonable is not your approach. Please don't pretend otherwise, it's insulting to both of us.

You can have the equivalent of whatever you want, that doesn't mean squat.

No.

If you didn't already back this, you really don't have a dog in this fight and I wonder why you're bothering me if that's the case.

• Haha 1