Sign in to follow this  
Bobit

How do you make cheap graphics for high-graphic engines?

IIRC Chris was claiming they're planning on making modding potential better than OpenXCOM. The AI in Xenonauts 1 is worlds apart too, so  there's a lot of potential here. But both X-Division and Long War 1/2 have 90% palette swaps for new enemies, unlike XcomFiles/FMP/Piratez which have almost completely new graphics for 90% of enemies. So it seems like the main problem with modding these higher-budget games is that it's difficult to make  graphics for them. So how would you go about making it easier? Just use more palette swaps, or what?

Well, if your game has 3D graphics, you usually have a 3D grid model of a unit, then its textures on top (for colour, light reflection, ...), and then you have to animate that 3D unit for any action that needs animation. That is a lot of work and in most cases hard coded in the game files, so you can't easily add your own units. Even if you can, that process takes 3D animation skills, whereas a palette swap only needs a new colour texture. If the textures exist in extra files, that is pretty easy to do, so palette swaps is what you usually see from mods.

In a 2D sprite based game, that whole process is comparatively easy to do, where you "just" add a new sprite for each step of an animation.

Posted (edited)

So modders can never reskin a high-budget game. This is very disappointing to me because I couldn't care less for graphics, but OpenX's AI (and all open-source AI tbh) is notoriously poor. It seems that open source games / mods are doomed to either have poor AI (and no PvP playerbase) or not be a total overhaul. I wish more games had ASCII modes like in Cogmind, but it will never happen.

Edited by Bobit

I wouldn't say that. Reskinning is essentially just a palette swap. But even if you talk about adding new units, it is not impossible; it depends heavily on how the game is made. And then, you mostly see it for AAA games, as they have the audience needed to attract the few people who do that for fun in their spare time.