Emily_F

Will I ever not be a rookie??

How do I not be a rookie any more?  I have posted quite a few times now, and still I'm not even one rung up :( 

I have posted more have 90 times and I am still a rookie, so I have no idea how this system works???

• Like 1

does probably depend on your number of posts and maybe reactions of others to these posts.

Posted (edited)

Its an arbitrary rank based solely on the number of posts, most forums have this function built in and usually it takes quite a few posts to gain the next rank, id guess the next rank up from rookie is between 100 and 200 posts.

Edit: That said it is possible there are ranks for backers or the system here is based on reputation instead (this would stop spammers ruining things for post count) Standard IPS Board is just based on the post count though.

Edited by Kaiphus_Kain

I have on idea how this system works, as I have over 90 posts and what ever +19 means, others have less, and would seem to be of a higher rank, your explanation does not fit the pattern!!! Sorry, I am not having a go.

5 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

I have on idea how this system works, as I have over 90 posts and what ever +19 means, others have less, and would seem to be of a higher rank, your explanation does not fit the pattern!!! Sorry, I am not having a go.

I can only assume that the reactions given (the buttons below other's posts in the lower right corner) count like posts, too. For Example I can see in Kaiphus_Kains Profile, that he was using these buttons more than 90 times now. So 30 posts + 90 reactions is > 100, which probably is the requirement for "Squaddie" (and 200 for "Sergeant"). You did not use these buttons at all (and I only used them a few times).

If I am right, then it will probably just take a 5 more posts or reactions from you to reach the next rank (Emily_F would have a little longer way to go still.)

2 hours ago, wulf 21 said:

I can only assume that the reactions given (the buttons below other's posts in the lower right corner) count like posts, too. For Example I can see in Kaiphus_Kains Profile, that he was using these buttons more than 90 times now. So 30 posts + 90 reactions is > 100, which probably is the requirement for "Squaddie" (and 200 for "Sergeant"). You did not use these buttons at all (and I only used them a few times).

If I am right, then it will probably just take a 5 more posts or reactions from you to reach the next rank (Emily_F would have a little longer way to go still.)

Actually I think the rank I have is likely a backer level in this case, unless the guy running the forum has installed some specific addons the IPS board only uses post count for the ranks (unless manually set for people in groups, Kickstarter Backers for example)

I say this as someone who first used IPS forum software when it was originally released and many others before that for many years on quite large sites.

Bottom line is though it really doesn't mean anything, its just an arbitrary piece of information that has no value, you can have 30 or 3000 posts, what matters is if the posts are worth posting. (I am in no way saying my or anyone else's posts are better or worse or have more or less value than anyone else)

5 minutes ago, Kaiphus_Kain said:

Actually I think the rank I have is likely a backer level in this case, unless the guy running the forum has installed some specific addons the IPS board only uses post count for the ranks (unless manually set for people in groups, Kickstarter Backers for example)

I think this is really unlikely because the forum software has absolutely no way of knowing who is a kickstarter backer and who isn't. These are 2 totally separate accounts and not linked in any way. And you can see below your user name that you just are in the user Group "Members" like everyone else.

Squaddie and Sergeant seem to be totally default ranks here that everone can have. The only "special" ranks in these forums seem to be from members of the development team and Admins/moderators.

1 minute ago, Kaiphus_Kain said:

Bottom line is though it really doesn't mean anything, its just an arbitrary piece of information that has no value, you can have 30 or 3000 posts, what matters is if the posts are worth posting. (I am in no way saying my or anyone else's posts are better or worse or have more or less value than anyone else)

Totally agree. A 1-liner in this logic has the same effect as some detailed thoughts or bug report with detailed info and reproduction steps. If I am right, even a simple button click is counted the same, so rank would simply be an expression of the total number of actions done in these forums, nothing else.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, wulf 21 said:

I think this is really unlikely because the forum software has absolutely no way of knowing who is a kickstarter backer and who isn't. These are 2 totally separate accounts and not linked in any way. And you can see below your user name that you just are in the user Group "Members" like everyone else.

Possibly but you can set a user to a specific rank easily in IPS so that was my thinking.

Edit: Could be how long you have been a member of the forum instead of number of posts, not sure if there is a plugin for that but it would fit the bill potentially.

Edited by Kaiphus_Kain

So much fun speculation when probably an admin could just come by and tell us exactly :D.

That would be too easy, it looks like we are now just trolling this subject. :)

• Like 1

I have been a member of this group since 2015, I have bought into the kick starter a Captain Level, and nearly posted 100 comments, in these pages, and it would also seem that no one has any insight into the working of "this so-called" Rank structure. The idea of a fair system, is that all have the knowledge of how its works, and how they acquire there place in it!! 

Posted (edited)

Ruggerman, I can tell you with 100% conviction and around 12 or so years experience running multiple forums and various forum software, including the one used here that the rank/title system in any forum software is an arbitrary pointless exercise that means nothing at all.

Seriously, the standard IPS forum software is purely based on post count, any customisation is normally just the title name or to just stop people spamming for the higher title, the exceptions are normally only moderators and admins though custom titles are possible but have to be set on a per user basis.

The only thing that matters on a forum is post content, not post count.

Edited by Kaiphus_Kain
Clarifying statement

On 5/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, Emily_F said:

How do I not be a rookie any more?  I have posted quite a few times now, and still I'm not even one rung up :( 

Poof! You are a squaddie now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Keflin said:

Poof! You are a squaddie now.

OMG OMG, I'd like to thanks my family....my agent... my dog groomer . . . ;)

• Haha 1

How is it that with my posts and length of tenure, I am still at base level, is there something that I need to do???

Such are the wonders of life,

There is a rank structure in this forum, and that seams not to be working, which fits with the the game we are all waiting for!!

Ruggerman, I really don't understand why this seems to bother you so much, it is entirely meaningless!

Post content counts, not post count.

I didn't start this post, and I am not all that concerned with with rank system, as it is pointless.

But I have invested in this game, and that seams not to be as I would have liked, if they go on to make an X3 I probably want bother!!

5 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

I didn't start this post, and I am not all that concerned with with rank system, as it is pointless.

But I have invested in this game, and that seams not to be as I would have liked, if they go on to make an X3 I probably want bother!!

Never said you did but it does seem to be an issue, as your posts indicate. As for the game side I think you should wait and see what is finally released before deciding something like the above, a lot can change in development and to be fair it's just a few text changes when the game is released to make any rank designations you want to have if it is not to your liking.

Worst case is a mod request maybe?

What I find the most problematic is probably people with good intension, tell me I have a problem, and I REAL DON'T.

Thank you fore your concern, but It will be my decision on weather I get involved in the next episode of this game.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, Ruggerman said:

I have posted more have 90 times and I am still a rookie, so I have no idea how this system works???

Darn ... and here I gave you a 20th 'like' in hopes of boosting your level up and over, but no luck ...