[V5.0] Aircraft vs UFOs

So, I'm not sure if it is deliberate or a bug, but I can send a single, unmodified fighter up against pretty much any UFO and click on Auto-Resolve (I find the air battle tedious), and the UFO is downed without my aircraft getting a scratch. A 1970's fighter vs an extraterrestrial fighter . . . should be a no-brainer who would win. 

I think the hand-waving explanation here is that the UFO is more of a scout. By the time you're trying to bring down a battleship, you need to be fielding some heavier gear. Although, it has been suggested that some UFOs should simply be unassailable. Which makes sense.

Also, I imagine the auto-resolve is, for now, implemented without a damage function. 

55 minutes ago, Decius said:

On topic: Would it be too hard to cause the autoresolve button to display the outcome before selecting it? I was salty at X1's autoresolve doing much worse at times that I couldn't predict.

Then, why should anyone play the aircombat minigame if the outcome is completely clear before? X1 displayed a probability of winning, but this did not necessarily mean that you would win without major damage or even one of the interceptors being shot down. On the other hand loosing would not always be because complete loss of interceptors, but because you could not damage the UFO enought to win. Maybe it would be possible to display some addional info instead of just this one probability. E.g. probability that the UFO will escape because you did not damage it enough with the availiable weapons, probability to loose an interceptor or that it will take >50% damage etc. So 2 or 3 more numbers that allow a somewhat more informed decision if autoresolve can be used safely or to play the minigame to achieve a somewhat better outcome.

14 hours ago, Chris said:

Yup. The air combat isn't implemented properly yet, so the Autoresolve button is just an automatic "I win" button right now.

Ah, that's good to know.  When I have tried playing the minigame, I can't seem to do anything other than move forwards or backwards, and fire my weapons. I can't roll or move out the way of the incoming alien weapon. Have I missed something?

9 hours ago, Emily_F said:

Ah, that's good to know.  When I have tried playing the minigame, I can't seem to do anything other than move forwards or backwards, and fire my weapons. I can't roll or move out the way of the incoming alien weapon. Have I missed something?

No, you didn't. That's why there is this big thread out there where people complained how the air combat in X1 was so much better and the developers said multiple times, that it is far from final and they do agree that the current version of it is not much fun, yet.

• Thanks 1

There was a lot of discussion about the format of the X2 aur combat. Chris has expressed a desire for air encounters to be pursuits - a squadron of aircraft pursuing a UFO and trying to get it before it can escape. We'll see how that idea has matured. 

I notice that in this development stage of the game, that the Air game was only a means to bring into effect ground combat, so as to test, and find the bugs in that play. I only ever put one aircraft in each base, and I always did the auto resolve, with no losses. So until that part of the game is developed, I will not invest to much time a money "Game Time & Money" that is, in this section of the game.

I'm just glad to know that they have plans to improve this.  I have to agree that the current version is very soulless, which stinks because I'm one of those rare few who actually loved the original air combat.  (Of course I hadn't played it in a long time so after trying the new out I went back to trying the old and quickly realized it wasn't as good as I remembered either.  But at the time I did truly love it.)

That said, I'm also hoping the devs can find a way to keep it.  If they can't make it fun then it truly is better to drop it, but I hope they can find a way.  Because it really did make X1 unique and different (at least from any other xcom/clone I had ever played).  And when X2 was announced the fact that it wasn't going to be in there almost made me write it off entirely.  Glad I didn't, of course, but I came a lot closer to missing out on another good game than I should have.  (Obviously I am NOT kidding when I said I loved the original!)

Unpopular opinion?

Out of all of the games in the genre, UFO:Enemy Unknown/X-COM:UFO Defense and the Terror From the Deep reskin handled the interception combat the best. Give the player strategic level control over the tactics used, allow interceptors to wait for backup, and then roll the dice several times to get a result that will be pretty consistent most of the time, but is technically never perfectly certain.

• Like 1