Secondaries

Looking for clarity on using the secondary equipment slot. Using the med kit is pretty obvious, but putting a weapon there makes it a touch confusing.

It seems that the SMG being used as a secondary by the sniper can't become a primary weapon under any circumstance. My sniper entered the UFO along with the rest of the team. Once inside I wanted to change out the sniper rifle for the SMG, but that didn't seem to work. I was able to put the rifle into the backpack, but couldn't move the SMG up to primary. I get that it's a weapon/slot designation thing, but once I click on the secondary and move on to the next soldier will the choice be remembered for op fire when the time comes?

And while I'm thinking of op fire, in Xeno-1, iirc, it would stage to the highest TU/best shot available and move up as TU got used up. Does it still do that?

Edited by Challenge

As opposed to X1, the secondary weapon can be fired without spending additional TU to move it to primary slot (which is impossible as you found out, the weapons have a designated slot type and cannot be moved to the other slot).

With the new UI, you need to use the crosshair buttons above secondary weapon to fire it and it should automatically be used for overwatch when appropriate and you can disable the overwatch for primary weapon via the eye-symbol if you want overwatch fire only from secondary weapon. However this does not seem to be fully implemented, yet. See this post (the second part where chris answered my post):

I already asked a follow-up question because it is not quite clear to me, what part exactly is not fully implemented, but I guess in current version there is no way to get overwatch fire from secondary weapon.