I don't quite 'understand' the resource missions.

The little box things that show up at various parts of the world, give you an option to assign up to 3 of your soldiers to them, end up when time runs out with choice of 2 Scientists, 2 Engineers, or $500,000.

A few things I'm really not following as far as these go ... 

1)  You can assign up to 3 soldiers to these, but you can still use the same soldiers to go on missions with you.  That seems a bit odd.

2)  Whether you assign 1, 2 or 3 soldiers to a resource mission, it doesn't seem to have any impact on how long the mission will take to finish.  Three heads apparently not better than 1?

3)  The missions are completely non-descriptive (this is probably just b/c there hasn't been a rush to flesh them out any yet, I'm betting).

4)  That you get to pick each time between 2 SCI, 2 ENG or $500,000 seems a bit odd ... like all 3 of these things are waiting on standby with baited breath just to see what you will pick and what you will leave.

5)  Some of these missions take a lot longer to do than others (assuming proximity to your base factors in here, but I put an air strip near one before deploying troops for it once and that didn't help cut the time down a bit, which also seems a bit odd.

6)  There never seems any real reason WHY you need soldiers for these, or why you would ever need to assign more than just one, at any rate, since more does not bring down the time required to complete.

Anyone else been puzzling over these?

Edited by Wyldefyre_CP
Link didn't work

I actually reported point 1) as a bug already, This is the answer post:

And I think the thing that time to complete is independent from the number of soldiers (your point 2) was discussed somewhere else either and the answer was similar: Large parts of this system simply are not yet in their final form at all.

If you did not read yet, I would recommend reading the post in the features forum that explains this feature and what the developers want to achieve with it:

Basically, the reason why you have to send soldiers is that you have to kidnap scientists/engineers because your organization needs to stay hidden. Soldiers are just sent to the Xenonauts by the world's military powers that know of their existence, but you cannot publicly search for scientists/engineers.

The part that you can just choose a reward at the end seems to be odd at the moment, but I would guess that this is just very generic at the moment and in the final game it would be something like: The employer of the engineer offers your soldiers money if he does not have to come with you and that you can either take the money or just take the engineer. So some in-game story telling that explains why there is a choice and probably not the same for each mission. And to make sense of it, probably you should not see that you will get this choice before start of the mission, ie. you maybe get displayed what the goal of the mission is before and then you maybe unexpectedly get the choice. Or the mission goes completely wrong and you get nothing and all that is achieved  is spoiling the region relations. Simply some ways in which the mission outcome is not already clear before the start and make sending soldiers on these missions some kind of risk/reward rather than just free stuff to grab.

Nice ... I read some of what was mentioned on that other post and it sounds pretty good - I would prefer attempting to 'sway' or 'recruit' engineers and scientists away from whatever government or business they were currently working for, rather than 'kidnap' them ... I can't imagine productivity being optimal when all the scientists / engineers learn that each of them working on the product is a burlap sack concussion case :p  Any mission involving sending any of them out in the field afterwards might likely lead to escape attempts if this were the case.  Or various 'accidents' among the overseers there at the base .... ahem ...