Sign in to follow this  
Chris

New Combat UI Discussion & Feedback

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Chris said:

That's true, but that functionality wouldn't be taken away from you either - clicking the weapon would have the same effect as pressing Ctrl currently does. Clicking a fire mode button would do the same thing but activate that specific fire mode on that weapon while doing so.

But what is the point then of clicking on the weapon? 
I do not yet understand what clicking the weapon provides. Normally you either select the attack you want directly, or you hover over and cycle through.

I think that maybe clicking the weapon then is solving something we could solve elsewhere better.
The only thing that hover/control does not do is cycle through all actions from all items.

It might be good as well to allow cycling through all weapons because we now have the action button highlighting that shows where the action is coming from?

Edited by SebilliansWrath

12 minutes ago, SebilliansWrath said:

It might be good as well to allow cycling through all weapons because we now have the action button highlighting that shows where the action is coming from?

I am actually against this idea. Currently I often find myself in a situation that the last shot of the soldier was aimed shot, but I just dont have enough TU, so I just need to right click 2 or 3 times to get from aimed to normal. If grenades and secondary weapon fire modes were to be included in the cycle, it can be necessary to click 7 or 8 times - this seems to much for my taste. And I am not quite sure where actions that are now directly executed with one click (reloading, blowing up breaching charge) rather than click action + click on map would fit into this.

3 hours ago, wulf 21 said:

I am actually against this idea. Currently I often find myself in a situation that the last shot of the soldier was aimed shot, but I just dont have enough TU, so I just need to right click 2 or 3 times to get from aimed to normal. If grenades and secondary weapon fire modes were to be included in the cycle, it can be necessary to click 7 or 8 times - this seems to much for my taste. And I am not quite sure where actions that are now directly executed with one click (reloading, blowing up breaching charge) rather than click action + click on map would fit into this.

An alternative is then to use scrollwheel instead of RMB? This allows you to cycle backwards and forwards.
To work this would temporarily override the camera level control if you are hovered over a unit.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:11 AM, Chris said:

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive though, you could still display the weapon info with a tooltip on hover. Thing is, I seem to recall original X-Com had fire functionality tied to clicking on the weapon image directly so it seems like there's no reason not to add it in. The UI does work without it, but it seems like it'd work better with it.

Thanks. So a weapon image on the portrait would be a big improvement for you?

Yes, a weapon image would be a big improvement. Also knowing what direction a solider is in when I mouseover the portrait would be dead handy so I know where they are in relation to the solider I've currently selected.

Still not playing X2, but I have a suggestion concerning the combat UI stemming from my experience with the base game:

It can be hard in X1 to get all the information you should have. That is especially the case for environmental effects areas like thick smoke or fire areas. In them it is pretty much impossible to see several aspects that are important, e.g.:

• Agents like soldiers, Aliens, Humans
  • Items on the ground (where did I leave my weapon?)
  • Which tiles exactly are affected

For that reason I propose a lens system akin to what Civilization VI has, where you can get convenient overlays for different information. That can be borders around affected tiles (fading out the actual effect), highlighting agents or marking tiles with items on them (possibly even with category information). If you are not going to implement that, it would at least be cool if you created the possibility for modders to do that.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:19 AM, SebilliansWrath said:

An alternative is then to use scrollwheel instead of RMB? This allows you to cycle backwards and forwards.
To work this would temporarily override the camera level control if you are hovered over a unit.

Oh, please don't make the scrollwheel context dependent like that.

It would be useful if there were those things where if you hover the cursor over an icon, it pops up what you're looking at.  I got a bit confused at first when the change happened as icons are often not as descriptive as a word.  I still don't know what a couple of them actually mean.  Would be useful if you could pull up a player's stats too.  I've tried to do that today and discovered  you can't (you could do it in X1, if I recall correctly).  

I like it. It is sleeker than the old look. It all seems pretty intuitive too. Although the blue for TU and green for health threw me a little. I really like that the TU cost of an action is highlighted, and the the cost for belt actions is labelled. 

I'd suggest doing something to de-emphasise the red reticles for the secondary weapon. And a button to cycle through soldiers whilst the inventory screen is up.

4 hours ago, Ninothree said:

... Although the blue for TU and green for health threw me a little. 

Same here, took some getting used to.

• Like 1

I think this is one of those things where you get strong feelings one way or the other, but when put to it, you can't really justify why it should be that way (BTW yellow for TU).

So there's several changes that we've made / got planned as a result of this feedback.

• Clicking on a weapon image activates fire mode for that weapon - I think this came out in Hotfix V5.1, right? It's in the dev build and it certainly makes things feel nicer to me.
  • Potentially adding an icon for the equipped weapon for each soldier under their portrait
  • Potentially showing the selection circle around the appropriate soldier model when you mouse hover over a portrait, so you can see where the soldier is standing in the world without selecting them (if they're on screen)
  • Potentially adding an icon to the TU and HP bars, to make it more obvious which is which
  • Adding tooltips to all the buttons etc (this something planned for the strategy too, we've just not got round to it yet)
  • Show the soldier stats somewhere, either on their Inventory screen like in X1 or through some kind of icon

Posted (edited)

One thing that would be very helpful for absent-minded players like me is the ability to be able to access the ufopedia during the battlescape (Xenonauts' Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy).

Would that be possible?

This is why I always loved turn-based strategy games. They give you the time to think about the best course of action, just as a leader (General etc.) gets. I always found it difficult to keep up with my brother in something like command and conquer. Turn-based strategy games also have a much longer shelf life and appeal to more than just the younger generation too (who tend to like living at the speed of light!).

Edited by ooey
  • Like 2

I just think it's something so simple that it can sometimes be overlooked in games. But it can be a great help if you forget something about the foe you are facing. Of course, real soldiers would have it drummed into them that you use electroshock grenades on androids etc. for greater effect, but we aren't real soldiers ;). It's little things like this that can sometimes be most useful, and it requires little work since the UFOpedia exists anyway (it just has to be made accessable during ground combat as well as on the base screen).

Edited by ooey
  • Like 1

Plus it's probably easier than a UI popup of defenses and such for each unit. That being said, I would love a thing that vaguely gave some feedback on which lizard was injured how much.