Breach tactics and other odd ideas?

I've recently been enjoying Door Kickers and it made me think because something I always wished Xcom and Jagged Alliance incorporated was some kind of breach mechanic and yes sure you can kinda set it up that way but I was wondering if it could be like worked out in a turn based way where it felt natural and fluid, options on doors for approach type with your squad or breaching options.The blue little guys seem like they would know some SWAT basics. Also something I miss from Jagged Alliance is the ability to go prone which made it difficult for you to travel far but made you much harder to hit and added to your ability to aim and hit.. Just like crouch but you know....prone. While we are at it, abilities to rooftop for snipers. or at least add climbable verticality. another idea i had was to make reserved action points pool someway so that you could synchronize shots on the same target with another soldier kinda like overwatch but not really.. Just out of the blue you could make a character class that specializes in melee... doesn't even have to be good...like have a dude called Doomsday Don equipped with a water noodle or something...dunno. feel melee should be represented here though.

Edited by MrStitch

Xenonauts (and specifically X-division) already has more detailed breaching mechanics than any game in the genre by far imo, including Door Kickers. You can suppress through walls, blow them up, flashbang, etc. as well as take cover, go for a capture, balance speed vs reaction. Only thing is the enemy automatically senses you through walls in a certain radius, which is a very core mechanic for this game (and existed in original XCOM in a lesser form).

Breaching charges with a smaller radius could be nice I guess. I don't know what sync shots and stuff would do. Melee already exists in X-divison, and it's pretty fun, but the design space is limited without original XCOM / xPiratez energy mechanic. Hence why they only have 2 melee types (per phase? IDK, didn't get very far). It's not too different from shotguns, but different enough.

I guess i just didn't really play it that way but could see how it works. same in JA2 more or less but I guess i meant something more of like scenarios played out in SWAT 4 or Rainbow 6... like maybe have the tiles in front of doors allow for different kind of entrie options for squad formation or tactical entry. Also more verticality and climbable surfaces, maybe scale a building side with a sniper to get shots off....stairs are nice and all buuuuuut. I dont know whats in Xeno2 as i haven't played the beta. Im playing the first one and love it so much just want my dudes to be able to have more control of the environment.

True, although:

1) With a moderately high reflex soldier you can very often perform an action after opening the door before the enemy shoots you.

2) Sometimes you need multiple flashbangs anyways

3) That's just not a very realistic option in general. Usually your opponent would be able to react slightly to you throwing a flashbang, especially if you have to aim it as is the case in this game.

4) It's kinda OP, basically zero risk.

im gonna have to try the x division mod. However ive had problems running mods. I have the gog version and mods seem to crash it some reason or another. will try it though. thanks for the recommendation. I hope they take note and add similar aspects to Xeno 2.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, Bobit said:

True, although:

1) With a moderately high reflex soldier you can very often perform an action after opening the door before the enemy shoots you.

2) Sometimes you need multiple flashbangs anyways

3) That's just not a very realistic option in general. Usually your opponent would be able to react slightly to you throwing a flashbang, especially if you have to aim it as is the case in this game.

4) It's kinda OP, basically zero risk.

The entire point is that you're not aiming it, you're just blindly throwing it through the door before fully opening it. It's consuming a finite resource before getting confirmation of a threat.

I liked some of these ideas.

crawling (prone?) should already be in the game.

ditto being able to climb ladders, railings, etc..

I mentioned an 'assist' feature in another topic here (one of the official xenonauts 2 topics somewhere else around these parts) and that multi-targeting overwatch thing could probably be incorporated into that somehow.. possibly even through skills or abilities if the new x2 game is going to be making use of them?