Adding more flexibility to FireModes?

Been messing around with the weapon JSON files for my own personal amusement.  I was wondering if down the line more flexibility could be put into the FireModes. For example, I've been trying to turn one of the FireModes into an "Overdrive Mode", a FireMode where you spend a considerable amount of AP to get a special shot unique to the type and class of the weapon. Basically, it would be dumping all the energy of the battery into an overcharged shot. I was trying to get a FireMode for laser weapons where the damage of the shot was considerably more powerful than a normal shot, but it ate up all your AP (so a risk/reward situation), but I haven't been able to set up a FireMode with a damage value that would override the default damage value for the weapon. With more flexibility in the FireMode types, you could make a special mode for the more advanced weapons that helps to set it more apart from other weapon types. 

Writing this out, I'm now thinking that if you could get more flexible FireModes then you could do things like make weapon classes REALLY unique. For example, plasma weapons could have the same base accuracy for each FireMode and the more expensive FireModes would instead boost the damage, a-la Imperial plasma guns from W40K with their power settings. Is anything like that possible?