Doors in UFOs

In the beginning the doors to get to UFO were pain in the butt. My soldier would open the door and than he will meet various enemies all in overwatch position. Moving out or shooting and the soldier was dead.

Than I discovered a cheesy tactic - one soldier opens the door, and the second one shoots. Than the first soldier closes the door, the second one moves out, and the third moves into his place. Than the first soldier opens the door, the third one shoots, the door are closed and third one moves out to make a place for the fourth one. This opening and closing of the doors makes storming the enemy base/ship a piece of cake. 

Suggestion - either to make the door as grenades - that after activating they will open/close only at the end of the turn; or to make the door automatically open when the soldier is in front of them ...

Edited by ditoLoco
  • Like 1

I like this cheesy tactic, I use it and variants on it, like lining up as many soldiers as possible and open the door and then have them all unload all at once into the room.

Now, common sense tells me that if I am on the defensive, I should have "locked" the door to begin with, forcing the assault team to blow the door (or wall) open, thus eliminating this "cheesy tactic" mentioned. And taking this one step further, in anticipation of the door being assaulted, setting some proximity  mines/grenades to detonate as the assailants make entry.

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

I've quite a few threads along the lines of "the science doesn't make sense in this computer game", but very few threads to say "so how come we can open alien doors?"

But yeah, the only way to storm entrenched defenders in a bottleneck is to cheese it. If you fight fair you just get shot. Sounds pretty dumb to me. I don't how much it has changed, but the last build I played gave smoke grenades 100% cover - I'm sure you could just throw in enough of those bad boys to get behind the enemy. It is all about getting creative with the tools you've got.

The entire point of a prepared defensive position is to be unfair. I think that the way the aliens improvise an ambush from their craft is one of the best parts, and the fact that it encourages stacking is more of a bonus.

I hadn't thought of using smoke grenades to defeat opportunity fire when breaching, but it would be nice if gas dissipated more slowly indoors than outdoors.

It's the opposite of challenging; it's just executing an already-solved problem, unless there are some complications.

If there are complications, it will be briefly challenging, until a new solution is found.

It would be nice to have a couple more different types of breach, rather than all of them being aliens using their big obvious door to control where we enter. If performing recovery on crashed UFOs is going to be the majority of tactical gameplay (which is not at all certain) then there are lots of ways to make it less repetitive- from just having doors that lock and resist nondestructive entry to having anitpersonnel defenses mounted on the UFO (immobile and with limited firing arcs and requiring someone at the controls inside, but with the weapons themselves very resistant to small arms fire?).

4 hours ago, Chris said:

So at the minimum we'll adopt the solution we had in X1 here, which is that alien doors autoclose at the end of the alien turn but cannot be closed manually once opened (and opening them can trigger reaction fire).

I really, really disliked the fact that the aliens could open the door on their turn and it would close on mine, but I couldn't do the same. Would it be too hard to make the doors remain open until the start of the next turn for the team that opened them?

23 hours ago, Chris said:

So at the minimum we'll adopt the solution we had in X1 here, which is that alien doors autoclose at the end of the alien turn but cannot be closed manually once opened (and opening them can trigger reaction fire).

You considered implementing an equivalent of the Fire In The Hole mod for X1, which allowed you to use explosives to breach through additional spots in the hull of the UFO? Always at the expense of loot of course.

21 hours ago, Decius said:

I really, really disliked the fact that the aliens could open the door on their turn and it would close on mine, but I couldn't do the same. Would it be too hard to make the doors remain open until the start of the next turn for the team that opened them?

It's almost certainly possible, but it's not something I'm going to worry about now. Bug me about it in Early Access and I'll have a think - off the top of my head the big issue is that any door that's open in your turn and closed in the alien turn tends to give the AI problems, and any door the aliens open themselves will potentially cause that problem the subsequent turn. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Mister said:

You considered implementing an equivalent of the Fire In The Hole mod for X1, which allowed you to use explosives to breach through additional spots in the hull of the UFO? Always at the expense of loot of course.

This is already implemented - all the UFO walls are destructible and you can research C4 charges to blow them open very early in the game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love the fact that breaching becomes possible, that is going to be a great new feature.

LOS is really crap in this version or is it just me? Properly because it is in development, but opening a door and them have the doorframe blocking LOS is stupid. Generally LOS doesn't seem to work so good yet?

Otherwise a few crashes here and there, but really looking to be a great game.

Oh and I love they are waiting for me, back in the first Xcom game, I remember the commander would be in his small room in the UFO and for a long time, I almost lost 1 soldier per mission getting to him. Don't make it too easy.

Edited by AvonWolf

On 4/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, Keflin said:

I like this cheesy tactic, I use it and variants on it, like lining up as many soldiers as possible and open the door and then have them all unload all at once into the room.

Now, common sense tells me that if I am on the defensive, I should have "locked" the door to begin with, forcing the assault team to blow the door (or wall) open, thus eliminating this "cheesy tactic" mentioned. And taking this one step further, in anticipation of the door being assaulted, setting some proximity  mines/grenades to detonate as the assailants make entry.

Just my 2 cents...

Yeah, I wish they brought back proximity mines like they had in the original game.