[V4.1 Ground Combat] Soft Lock trying to use H.E.V.Y. on UFO roof

wulf 21

I just tried something out I never tried before and promptly found an interesting way to lock the game. Will check if it's reproducable, but most likely, I think it should be.

What I did was: after I completely failed to blow holes in the side of the UFO (don't know if that is wall desctruction logic issue mentioned in other thread, or walls are just too tough against H.E.V.Y. grenades now), I tried if I can blow a hole in the UFO roof, so my sniper could shoot in there from above. The firing path can be seen in screenshot.

The immediate result was: Shooting animation played back, I heard the firing sound of the H.E.V.Y. launcher, but the grenade never impacted and there was neither a visible explosion, nor an explosion sound.

After that Game was locked up:

• User Interface was still functional, so I could select other soldiers, try to issue commands and even quit out of the game normally via menu, without need to Alt+F4
  • However, the soldier with the H.E.V.Y. would not actually do any command - like the game is waiting for impact of the projectile before allowing that
  • it was still possible to move the other soldiers around as long as enough TU are left
  • However, the other soldiers would not do commands like Shoot or open door.
  • It was no longer possible to end the current locked-up turn, like the game completely ignores the end turn button - probably again this is only possible if all fired projectiles did hit

I did grab the logfile before quitting the game (you see the H.E.V.Y. firing command and some not successful movement orders in there). Here it is: output.zip

Screenshot:

2019-04-23_1912_2.thumb.png.944fa6cbfe74a3545205f899cb2a284c.png

Thanks. Yeah, I can reproduce this - basically it happens when you miss everything with the grenade launcher and it can't find a valid target to hit, so the game is left waiting forever for the grenade to hit something and explode. We'll look into it.