A few adjustments to starting weapons

You had one job. One job.

Why does (almost) no one bother to do proper projetile simulations anymore? In a 3D game it's trivial. Especially turn-based ones. Accuracy is basically the size of the fire cone. Fire projectile and see if it hit anything.

1 hour ago, Ninothree said:

From what I understand, this leads to its own problems. Well, that is not surprising. I mean that the problems it leads to are, I think, quite odd ones that make playing the game a bit counter intuitive in terms of lining up shots.

I think that you have to game compromises for the gameplay, partly in terms of fun (yes shotguns should turn enemies into red mist when fired at close range) but also in terms of feasibility (what do the mechanics of simulation allow).

Nah. Phoenix Point has the cammera move to the gun POV so you can see how good the LOS is before taking a shot. Works easily. The whole "hit percentage this is not even really needed. All you need is LOS and the soldiers accuracy and you can guesstimate.

It's great that this is being looked at early. It can take time to get things right and now is exactly the time to be trying things out.

I haven't looked at this in X2 yet myself, but it seems to me that the weapons need to have their reasons for existing.

Rifle can be general. Not the best at one thing, but okay for everything

Shotguns could be higher DPS weapons with shorter ranges like in most games, but perhaps they could instead (also?) have high single shot damage for good close up reaction fire? A double barrel pump action maybe? This would make them more unique.

Sniper rifles could be more reliable, but lower DPS. Something where if your soldier has the time they will almost certainly hit their target.

LMGs should probably be the highest DPS if every shot hits. Maybe with this it would be best to have a hip/shoulder fire mode with low accuracy, but you can set it up somewhere for a nice boost. Maybe also make it so that once set up you cannot fire beyond something like 120 degrees without lifting the gun again. This could make it an excellent weapon, but at the cost of having setup time and having to choose where to set up so that you don't screw yourself(you won't be able to reaction fire someone shooting from behind for example). Perhaps this would make it a good choice for covering a section of a map that your team is exposed to while they work on something else.

Looking at what I wrote I think there is an issue though. The LMGs could potentially compete with shotguns for close combat since accuracy wouldn't be as big an issue. The shotguns could still have their high damage reaction shots but the LMGs would potentially outperform them when it's the player's turn. I am not sure how to solve this.

Anyways those are my thoughts on what I would probably do initially to try things out if I were to do the guns.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:59 AM, Ninothree said:

That Phoenix Point system sounds alright. Taking away the on-screen hit percentage could make the game look better - assuming that the guesstimates are enough.

Taking away the on-screen Monte Carlo simulation of shot results would make decision-making impossible. That's because PP uses their firing system to implement positional armor and meaningful location-based damage in addition to cover and stray bullet resolution.

Уважаемые Разработчики игры, объясните мне геймерские нюансы: после сбитого и, более того, падения НЛО и целой команды инопланетян - весь корабль живой, может быть, сначала нужно потушить НЛО щиты? Парадокс заключается в том, что мы находимся в состоянии войны с пришельцами, но нет прогресса ни среди людей, ни среди пришельцев ... Изучаем все как обычно с помощью лазерного оружия ... Может быть, пришельцы еще могут обнулить Землю, уничтожить !? Где находится новое оружие пришельцев (например, маликулярное оружие, водяной импульс в виде ленивой стрелы, черная дыра (она может втянуть в себя бойца, если окажется поблизости)

Edited by Kompa3ot

16 minutes ago, Kompa3ot said:

Уважаемые Разработчики игры, объясните мне геймерские нюансы: после сбитого и, более того, падения НЛО и целой команды инопланетян - весь корабль живой, может быть, сначала нужно потушить НЛО щиты? Парадокс заключается в том, что мы находимся в состоянии войны с пришельцами, но нет прогресса ни среди людей, ни среди пришельцев ... Изучаем все как обычно с помощью лазерного оружия ... Может быть, пришельцы еще могут обнулить Землю, уничтожить !? Где находится новое оружие пришельцев (например, маликулярное оружие, водяной импульс в виде ленивой стрелы, черная дыра (она может втянуть в себя бойца, если окажется поблизости)

I don't know russian (like I expect most others here), so I let it translate by deepl.com. The translation sounds like it makes sense (though only Kompa3ot could point out where it is not accurate). It is a little off topic in this thread, though:

Dear Game Developers, explain to me the game's nuances: after the UFO and the whole team of aliens have been knocked down and, moreover, fallen down - the whole ship is alive, maybe you need to put out the UFO shields first? The paradox is that we are in a state of war with aliens, but there is no progress among either humans or aliens ... We study everything as usual with laser weapons ... Maybe the aliens can still reset the Earth, destroy it ! Where are the new alien weapons (e.g. small arms, water impulse in the form of a lazy arrow, black hole (it can draw in a fighter if it is nearby)?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Edited by wulf 21