There should be an icon next to an alien if you haven't captured its type yet

Lots of  people requested this feature, this is just a reminder. Just a little one on the bottom of the screen would be nice. Of course this is only relevant if  there is a capture system and if only the first capture of each type matters, so I regret posting this.

Edited by Bobit

Is a good idea. Bu it might not even need to be an icon integrated into the ground combat interface, it could simply be the option to access the xenopedia from the pause menu. If you've got the interrogation report, you know you've made that capture.

On the other hand, a richer iconography would be welcome. There was a mod for XCOM2 that played with that, giving your cursor info about the move you were about to make: environmental damage, which enemies you'd have in line-of-sight etc. Although that mod took it a little too far by showing you the tiles that would trigger enemy overwatch shots.

• Like 1

Well in FiraxisCOM you're supposed to know whether the enemy has overwatch prepared. If they don't show an icon, all they're doing is making you lose cuz you didn't understand LoS. In Xenonauts reaction time is based on TU and reflexes which are  meant to be hidden. GOTCHA was a really good mod and I'm glad that Xenonauts 2 has already implemented some features from it (specifically shift+ctrl+aim).

Edited by Bobit

Hmm, I think this option would be clutter in most cases - the exception being the plot related captures we had in X1 like the alien leaders or the Praetor. We added some text telling players about it but an icon would certainly make it easier to identify which specific alien you need to capture. If every alien had it though I think the UI might get kinda messy.

The idea I came up with a while back could work with this although I'm never sure if it was seen. Simply make the ground combat UI more interesting in relation to the aliens. I'm imagining when you click on an alien ether a box appears above the model or perhaps on the top right or left of the screen(even somehow incorporated in the UI down the bottom of the screen where your soldier stats are).

It could show a head model of the alien, type of alien, its rank, capture state, mood, play style, Bio(among other things?). Maybe even get to a point with molecular abilities to know its health and Armour resistance.

Eg, I've just started X2 and play through my first ground map and I uncover my first alien, Stats would be:

Alien type: Unknown

Bio: Unknown

Capture state: Not captured

Mood: Unknown

Play style: Unknown

Resistance type: Unknown

Your already are aware it can be/has been captured. Once you interrogate a live specimen these stats start to change:

Alien type: Psyon

Bio: "Click" for research results(lore)

Captured state: Interrogated

Mood: Unknown

Play style: Unknown

Resistance type: Unknown 

The last 3? could be triggered by various different research findings found throughout X2's play through and a similar process could happen as you uncover new aliens. The same alien types that already have researched stats could be somewhat randomized so no two are alike. Even after you've uncovered it all, the mood, play style and resistance indicators could reveal how to exactly play against that alien and if its aggressive, passive or it loves to snipe from a distance etc so your always relying on it and carefully analyzing your enemy. It makes them interesting and mysterious although probably a big job to implement :)

Edited by roxxed