[V3.2 Ground Combat] Walls and floors sometimes don't block line of sight/line of fire between different levels.

Decius

When firing up or down a vertically, walls no not behave as expected. Both aliens and xenonauts are sometimes able to fire between the bottom wall and a second-floor wall, and at least sometimes are able to fire downward through floors.

The line of fire depicted goes between the wall; the alien shown fired out the wall to the street outside and later fired down into the office it is standing on. Later I was able to fire, but not see up from that office through the floor; are aliens able to fire at targets that they cannot see, or are floors sometimes permeable to sight in some directions?

X1.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report. Yeah, that looks like a strange one. There's a known bug where you can just shoot (and I think see) through floors / roofs but this looks like something seperate. I'll have a look at it tomorrow; unless it's something simple I doubt it's something we'll be fixing in the next week or two but I wasn't aware of this issue and it'll certainly be useful to know where all the problems are when we come to do another pass on the line-of-fire mechanics.

I'm pretty sure it was an edge case where the lower wall is too low to block the shot, but the upper wall is too high to block it. It isn't very clear to me whether the bottom or top section is the one that line of fire should hit; imagining the relevant geometry with only the bottom wall (shooting someone on the roof) says that the shot should be possible, but also imagining the geometry with only the top wall suggests that it should also be possible.

Xenonauts force-firing from t ground level further away were hitting the upper wall.

Those walls are both full height so there's definitely something going wrong there; it needs to hit one or the other. It's on my list of things to look into. I wouldn't actually be surprised if it was happening because your soldier is next to a door as we have some logic that assumes some form of "leaning" from the soldier ... but it's definitely going wrong if it's allowing that.