Improving overwatch functionality

I am responding here since it actually does not seem to be a bug, just in case there is more discussion about it.

I agree its confusing, but the button actually has a function that is working properly. The button decides if a soldier should overwatch fire at all. Overwatch off disables overwatch fire even if the soldier does have enough TU left, that is to prevent for example a soldier wielding a grenade thrower from accidently hurting him/herself or other soldiers with splash damage. So I disagree that its a bug. It is a confusing gameplay mechanic.

Maybe make the button to work in 3 modes instead (normal mode = TU saving off but overwatch fire if there is opportunity; overwatch mode = TU saving on + overwatch fire if opportunity; overwatch off (both off). The fourth possibility which is currently possible, TU saving on but no overwatch fire IMHO makes no sense)

But I can easily see how this could be confusing and lead to more Bug reports, too. People might expect "overwatch mode" to return fire every time as soon as an alien steps into view and not be aware that there is a reaction fire mechanic, i.e. the probability if overwatch fire is actually done and when its done (before the alien gets the chance to complete its action or after) depends on the reaction stat of the soldier and the TU left of the alien.

In X1 it was more clear what is happening because the panel was called TU saving and had a "none" button. But maybe this confused people, too, back then into thinking that they selected no fire mode when in fact fire mode selection was independend. Now panel displays current selected fire mode, so there is logically no "none"-Button anymore.

That said, I rarely ever used this function in X1 and rather looked at the number of TUs left manually before issuing a movement command if I wanted to have reaction fire. Hence my suggestion of 3 modes and I would probably play in the "normal mode" most of the time.

Yeah, you're correct that this isn't a bug and it's a case of the user misunderstanding the systems that exist - but yes, the current UI setup is very confusing.

The TU reserve function is annoying because in X1 lots of people tried to use the reserve mode selection system to select their fire mode, so we made it less obvious in X2 but now people don't know how it works. We're implementing a new GC UI that will hopefully make the interface a bit easier to understand, but reserving TU for specific fire modes will probably still be on right-click on the specific action. We just need to make sure this is clearly communicated to the player when they start playing because there's not really any way for them to know at the moment.

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, you're correct that this isn't a bug and it's a case of the user misunderstanding the systems that exist - but yes, the current UI setup is very confusing.

The TU reserve function is annoying because in X1 lots of people tried to use the reserve mode selection system to select their fire mode, so we made it less obvious in X2 but now people don't know how it works. We're implementing a new GC UI that will hopefully make the interface a bit easier to understand, but reserving TU for specific fire modes will probably still be on right-click on the specific action. We just need to make sure this is clearly communicated to the player when they start playing because there's not really any way for them to know at the moment.

sounds like a plan, thanks