[V3.0 - Ground Combat] Soldiers still don't save TU for Overwatch

Mirritil

9 hours ago, Mirritil said:

Same bug as I reported on February 9, still present. 

Hmmm, I thought this was fixed. Can you just confirm first that you're activating the TU reserve by right-clicking on the fire mode, so the name turns orange and the move path goes orange at the end?

Then what is it that causes the TU to get spent? Movement, or shooting? If active it should prevent movement from dropping you below the TU reserve level but after a bit of testing it seems to work fine for me in the latest version.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Hmmm, I thought this was fixed. Can you just confirm first that you're activating the TU reserve by right-clicking on the fire mode, so the name turns orange and the move path goes orange at the end?

Then what is it that causes the TU to get spent? Movement, or shooting? If active it should prevent movement from dropping you below the TU reserve level but after a bit of testing it seems to work fine for me in the latest version.

It's just movement.

I don't know about right-clicking on the fire mode, sounds non-intuitive. I do select the fire mode for overwatch specifically in the bottom-left corner. 

Move path doesn't go orange at the end - it's green all the way. Name is not orange either.

I'll try rightclicking when I'm back home tonight.

Okay, I checked.

If I right click on fire mode, it becomes orange, and saving of TUs for overwatch works.

But I still would say that this is a bug. 

There is a button on top of fire modes which says "overwatch". It is clear and obvious (100x more obvious than right clicking on the modes), but apparently this button doesn't work, though I expected it did. You can left click on "overwatch" button and it will switch to "overwatch off". When it says "overwatch off", I would expect a soldier not to save TUs for overwatch. But if the fire mode is 'orange', then soldiers do save TUs for overwatch even though the overwatch button clearly says "overwatch off".

This is extremely confusing.

My suggestion on how to fix it: remove right click / orange color thing. If "Overwatch" button is on, save TUs for overwatch; if "Overwatch" button is "off", don't save TUs for overwatch.

21 hours ago, Mirritil said:

Okay, I checked.

If I right click on fire mode, it becomes orange, and saving of TUs for overwatch works.

There is a button on top of fire modes which says "overwatch". It is clear and obvious (100x more obvious than right clicking on the modes), but apparently this button doesn't work, though I expected it did. You can left click on "overwatch" button and it will switch to "overwatch off". When it says "overwatch off", I would expect a soldier not to save TUs for overwatch. But if the fire mode is 'orange', then soldiers do save TUs for overwatch even though the overwatch button clearly says "overwatch off".

My suggestion on how to fix it: remove right click / orange color thing. If "Overwatch" button is on, save TUs for overwatch; if "Overwatch" button is "off", don't save TUs for overwatch.

Yeah, it's not a bug but you are correct that it's confusing - the toggle on the weapon allows you to disable overwatch fire from that soldier (e.g. if you want to capture an alien), it's not a TU reserve function.

We're planning a redesign of the ground combat UI and hopefully everything will be clearer once that is complete.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Mirritil said:

Okay, I checked.

The over-watch button determines if the soldier can do over watch at all (sometimes having the Grenade launcher guy doing over-watch is dangerous)

When it is on the computer needs to know which shot to save TU for (i.e. is it aimed, Burst, Snap). That is the "right click" to designate which shot it needs to save for, I would have rather it be a left click instead but it makes sense - the computer can't just "save time units for over-watch" unless it knows which type of shot. I don't think it's broken, just not obvious or convenient.