[V2.1, V5 Ground Combat] Reloading for free/low TU (+crashes)

wulf 21

While trying if I could get the game to crash with reloading (which I didn't get), I noticed another bug. If you drag ammo onto the Gun in soldier inventory view instead of using the quick slot at the bottom, reloading of the gun comes for free or low TUs.

• if the magazine slot next to the weapon is empty, if is for free
  • If it is not empty, it has just the TU cost of moving the magazine from one belt slot to another one instead of the TU cost for reloading the gun

Additionally, this leads to another bug where the magazine is somehow still logically attached to the gun despite being displayed on belt. Moving it from one belt slot to another then actually unloads the gun (same as moving from gun to belt should do).

Edit: This allows to reload the Scatter laser, too, which oherwise displays that it is a weapon that can't be reloaded.

Edited by wulf 21

On 3/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, wulf 21 said:

While trying if I could get the game to crash with reloading (which I didn't get), I noticed another bug. If you drag ammo onto the Gun in soldier inventory view instead of using the quick slot at the bottom, reloading of the gun comes for free or low TUs.

• if the magazine slot next to the weapon is empty, if is for free
  • If it is not empty, it has just the TU cost of moving the magazine from one belt slot to another one instead of the TU cost for reloading the gun

Additionally, this leads to another bug where the magazine is somehow still logically attached to the gun despite being displayed on belt. Moving it from one belt slot to another then actually unloads the gun (same as moving from gun to belt should do).

Edit: This allows to reload the Scatter laser, too, which oherwise displays that it is a weapon that can't be reloaded.

Interesting, thanks. I've had a look at this and you're correct that there's quite a few issues here that I was not aware of. I'm not sure we'll have a chance to fix them up before V3 arrives but I'll make sure they get handled as we do the ground combat UI update for the following build.

Bumping this, because this is somehow still not fixed in V5. I half expected that this would go away with the UI rework, but it didn't.

Additionally I found some ways how this bug can really make the game crash:

• in V4 (which I did not bother reporting because I half expected it to be fixed now) I noticed that the game will crash if it tries to regenerate laser ammo while no battery is attached to weapon. I think this would probably be still the same
  • now in V5 there was a crash, where after some fiddeling around with grenade launcher ammo, it would crash upon firing. Maybe I will find some more exact reproduction steps later, but from what I remember, I first abused this mechanic to reload for free. In a later turn I would try the normal reload button, which would not work correctly (subtracted TU but I noticed next turn grenade launcher was empty), so I dragged the ammo from the primary slot to belt and one I had in backpack to primary slot. When I tried to force fire, the game crashed. Here is the log: output.zip

Maybe these crashes will go away when the underlying bug is fixed.

Yeah, the UI update fixed some of the reloading bugs but we didn't change the underlying game logic so other issues still persist.

There's already a task for the ground combat programmer to fix up about 6 known issues that will hopefully resolve these problems, but they're unlikely to get in for the hotfix - so I suggest you wait until V6 and then report any bugs you encounter with the inventory and reloading.