[V2.1 - Ground Combat] Alien weapons heal Xenonauts

wulf 21

In a ground mission, Alien weapons suddenly healed my Xononauts instead of damaging them (Screenshot 1). It is reproducable with the following savefile quick_save.json (just load it, fast forward to ground combat and find aliens to shoot you).

I think it may be somehow related to the item duplication bug (https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19767-v13-v21-geoscape-after-combat-laser-rifles-and-other-producable-items-duplicated/) If you suppose that they actually carry multiple armors over each other, this might explain it (if the armor protection is > 100%, the alien damage would be multiplied by a negative value?). Maybe the armory displays a Xenonaut as with no armor if the Xenonaut has an even number of combat armors.

Edit: Just noticed that I have completed a medical room in atlas base before the ground mission. Now that I think about it, this could very well be the reason, too.

Edit 2: No it is definitely not related to item duplication. Got it with composite armor, too. So most likely the change before I started seeing this is the medical room.

Screenshot 1:

2019-03-02_1106_1.thumb.png.4cd383e60fcf636b5dd09d50f4c5ffd7.png

Screenshot 2:

2019-03-02_1125_1.thumb.png.1cf87ebd6019a1a7cc3127ecbcead598.png

Edited by wulf 21

On 3/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, wulf 21 said:

In a ground mission, Alien weapons suddenly healed my Xononauts instead of damaging them (Screenshot 1). It is reproducable with the following savefile quick_save.json (just load it, fast forward to ground combat and find aliens to shoot you).

I think it may be somehow related to the item duplication bug (https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19767-v13-v21-geoscape-after-combat-laser-rifles-and-other-producable-items-duplicated/) If you suppose that they actually carry multiple armors over each other, this might explain it (if the armor protection is > 100%, the alien damage would be multiplied by a negative value?). Maybe the armory displays a Xenonaut as with no armor if the Xenonaut has an even number of combat armors.

Edit: Just noticed that I have completed a medical room in atlas base before the ground mission. Now that I think about it, this could very well be the reason, too.

Edit 2: No it is definitely not related to item duplication. Got it with composite armor, too. So most likely the change before I started seeing this is the medical room.

That's a very peculiar bug. I've just built a Medical Room in V3 and not had the issue; to me it seems most likely related to the armour. If a unit has a resistance over 100% against a particular damage type then that damage will actually heal them, and the alien weapons are doing Kinetic damage against armour that offers good Kinetic protection. So I suspect what's happening is that your soldiers have somehow gained over 100% Kinetic resistance.

I'm wondering if the problem is just you running multiple missions with Combat Armour, and the resistance it grants stacking each time. If you've run 9 missions with your soldiers and they've had combat armour for 3 of them then that 40% Kinetic Resistance would becomes 120% if it's not properly being cleared at the end of the mission... I'll have a test and see if that might be happening maybe.

One other quick question - how have you equipped your soldiers with combat armour without getting their portrait to update? Was it through the loadout profiles?

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

One other quick question - how have you equipped your soldiers with combat armour without getting their portrait to update? Was it through the loadout profiles?

Well, I was using both manual equip + loadout profiles. I can't remember the exact steps now.

But what I do remeber is, that I aways changed the equipment from one soldier first then updated the loadout profiles (so it got changed for the others with same loadout profile). And that I was clicking through the soldiers with left and right arrows in the process rather than returning to the overview again in between.

But it kind of would not make sense that all the soldiers with same profile show the issue, because I inevitably updated one of them by manually editing him/her loadout and then took it over to the others with the profile (I would expect that the one I edited manually would not have the issue and the ones taken over would have it then).

But what I clearly do remember is that the 2 riflemen got the combar armor last, the others had it before. And I had some ground missions in between equipping everyone. So it just may be that it is not longer displayed after ground missions.

Edit: But the explenation that resistance values somehow get persisted after mission and get stacked up absolutely makes sense. It may be the same mechanism behind that that somehow  persisted the shotgun TU bonus that was removed in V1 (but I assume the cause of the stacking over multiple missions was not fixed back then)

Edited by wulf 21

1 hour ago, wulf 21 said:

Well, I was using both manual equip + loadout profiles. I can't remember the exact steps now.

But what I do remeber is, that I aways changed the equipment from one soldier first then updated the loadout profiles (so it got changed for the others with same loadout profile). And that I was clicking through the soldiers with left and right arrows in the process rather than returning to the overview again in between.

But it kind of would not make sense that all the soldiers with same profile show the issue, because I inevitably updated one of them by manually editing him/her loadout and then took it over to the others with the profile (I would expect that the one I edited manually would not have the issue and the ones taken over would have it then).

But what I clearly do remember is that the 2 riflemen got the combar armor last, the others had it before. And I had some ground missions in between equipping everyone. So it just may be that it is not longer displayed after ground missions.

Edit: But the explenation that resistance values somehow get persisted after mission and get stacked up absolutely makes sense. It may be the same mechanism behind that that somehow  persisted the shotgun TU bonus that was removed in V1 (but I assume the cause of the stacking over multiple missions was not fixed back then)

Thanks. I've had a test and that's definitely what's happening in both cases. Resistances are just invisibly accumulating on soldier after each mission, and the portrait layer code gets a bit out of sync if you equip soldiers using the loadouts. 

Good spot on the resistances bug, thanks for bringing it up!