[V2.1 - Geoscape] Bug with overlapping radar ranges

wulf 21

Just had the following situation:

• followed a UFO, while it was both inside my base radar range and the interceptor radar
  • after the UFO left the base radar range, it vanished from Geoscape (and I got the contact lost message) despite still being inside the fighter radar

Looks like the UFO contact gets assigned the radar it was detected by first, then when it is detected by a second radar the second one is ignored. If flying out of range of the first one, the contact finally is defined as "out-of-range" and the game does not check if it actually was inside another radar.

On the screenshot can be seen, that I practically was flying through the UFO (it left some event in the path where my interceptor just flew after loosing it) but the interceptor could not see it.

2019-02-28_2053_1.thumb.png.a381f931e59c33ea0dfa3642947acff0.png

On 2/28/2019 at 8:12 PM, wulf 21 said:

Just had the following situation:

• followed a UFO, while it was both inside my base radar range and the interceptor radar
  • after the UFO left the base radar range, it vanished from Geoscape (and I got the contact lost message) despite still being inside the fighter radar

Looks like the UFO contact gets assigned the radar it was detected by first, then when it is detected by a second radar the second one is ignored. If flying out of range of the first one, the contact finally is defined as "out-of-range" and the game does not check if it actually was inside another radar.

On the screenshot can be seen, that I practically was flying through the UFO (it left some event in the path where my interceptor just flew after loosing it) but the interceptor could not see it.

Thanks. I don't actually think this is a bug though - I think what's happened there is that the UFO has finished its mission and just disappeared from the Geoscape.

UFOs currently always spawn an event when they finish their missions and disappear, so it seems like that would be the most likely explanation given there's an event right next to your fighter and no visible UFO :)

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Thanks. I don't actually think this is a bug though - I think what's happened there is that the UFO has finished its mission and just disappeared from the Geoscape. 

UFOs currently always spawn an event when they finish their missions and disappear, so it seems like that would be the most likely explanation given there's an event right next to your fighter and no visible UFO :)

No, I am pretty sure that the UFO actually was still there and I found it again later after flying around a bit (needed to get out of and into interceptor radar first). I see now what you mean looking again at the screenshot, but actually I think I remeber getting the UFO out of range message first (while UFO still was in fighter radar range) and then the UFO event did appear while inside my fighter radar.

I managed to simulate the "flying out of range" part now simply by turning the base radar off and on again Here is the savefile: quick_save.json It contains an interceptor that just got the task to tail a UFO. The UFO was first discovered by the base radar and then got into interceptor radar before I made the savefile.

• turn off the base radar
  • fast forward a bit. I then got the message that contact was lost. (Screenshot 1)
  • choose "go to last known position"
  • turn the radar back on
  • fast forward time a bit. You see the UFO being discovered again and it is still in the fighter radar (Screenshot 2)

Will try if I can get this using 2 base radars (instead of base + fighter radar), too.

Edit: Just tried that wiht multiple bases close by and did not get it. Seems to be either just to affect the combination base+fighter radar. Or maybe the fighter radar is just not working at all and it had no relation to the overlapping part.

Screenshot 1:

2019-03-08_1735_1.thumb.png.28b2ca34aa98a484825c52029f64be42.png

Screenshot 2:

2019-03-08_1735_2.thumb.png.b1624e27a0eeca7b9e4b96f6ef770cb8.png

Edited by wulf 21