Noether

The best things of X1 are abandoned

3 hours ago, Dagar said:

Though physics to my knowledge has not yet found an answer to the question if time "shorter" than Planck time has discrete intervals or is continuous.

Hey shall we hijack this spiralling thread? It sounds like someone needs to bring up Zeno and his paradoxes! Is time/space continuous or discrete? Well Zeno postulated that either way, you run into logical contradictions. Thus, one must refute assumptions about the very nature of time and space, and reject the notion of plurality. Essentially, this means that motion of distinct bodies doesn't exist in any metaphysical sense and that the structure of reality is just one single firmament in which we all spin around (as opposed to "things" being entities that can exist in isolation).

I must confess, it is a while since I wrote an essay on the subject, but I think that about nails it.

2 hours ago, Ninothree said:

Hey shall we hijack this spiralling thread? It sounds like someone needs to bring up Zeno and his paradoxes! Is time/space continuous or discrete? Well Zeno postulated that either way, you run into logical contradictions. Thus, one must refute assumptions about the very nature of time and space, and reject the notion of plurality. Essentially, this means that motion of distinct bodies doesn't exist in any metaphysical sense and that the structure of reality is just one single firmament in which we all spin around (as opposed to "things" being entities that can exist in isolation).

I must confess, it is a while since I wrote an essay on the subject, but I think that about nails it. 

That sounds a lot like a discussion I want to have in a thread that was about something else entirely. But maybe we want to continue this train of thought in the off-topic section? If so, just tag me there and we can philosophise about the nature of time, be it amateurishly (at least from my side).

• Like 1

All the walls of texts, and nothing really changed in the end.

Geoscape is still real-time by any sane, workable definition.

Either way, planes work very differently for humans, so even if you made air combat turn-based, it would STILL require a separate set of mechanics anyway. Same holds true for geoscape. The time, scale and requirements of all 3 are completely different.

• Like 1

Here's a challenge: Play a game where you only pause the Geoscape and interact when something interrupts you. Compare that experience with the alternative, having the full array of controls available.

Posted (edited)

@Decius It depends on the triggers. OpenXCOM lets you auto-pause when a UFO lands (not just appears), so I usually run it on 1-day speed (which is so fast you can't realistically pause manually). The difference between turn-based and real-time is mostly immersion and clarity imo. There's a little bit more you can do on the geoscape with airpower in realtime, like interceptors and sandwiching an enemy, as well as sending a plane out purely for radar. But they're not a big deal.

Edited by Bobit

Most things are "not a big deal", but the devil is in the details.

Heck, those little tiny things you can pul off are the best things about games.

Anyone remember the live c4/grenade hot potato trick you could do in some old games?

10 hours ago, TrashMan said:

Most things are "not a big deal", but the devil is in the details.

Heck, those little tiny things you can pul off are the best things about games.

Anyone remember the live c4/grenade hot potato trick you could do in some old games?

"Trick"? Against Chryssalids I would regularly have everyone ready a deadman's grenade! It led to a couple of unfortunate results when it interacted with stun bombs, but it prevented several wipes.