Air Combat

So after playing beta 1 and beta 2, I noticed a huge change in Air Combat. It's very different from X1 and sort of looks basic. Some people who I share my playhtroughs with also commented on this - some more openly that well it's just bad. Is there any information about future plans for AIr Combat? Will we get something similar to X1 or just accept this version, or maybe there is something else hidden behind the idea? I think that X1 air combat was one of the best implementation of air combat in X-COM type games.

The original was: Get Avalanche and you can down anything  except Battleship - get plasma you win all the time.

UFO series - pure RNG determined by tech and UFO you fought. Even with best tech battleships could take several attemps.

UFO Extraterrestials - sort of good way

XCOM - again RNG.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:18 PM, Chris said:

The air combat in beta 1 and beta 2 isn't final and is going to be revised heavily before release. I don't think we'll be going back to the X1 model, but the current implementation is indeed pretty basic.

X1 model was super awesom. Game will become more interesting if you make it more complex to give player more options and interesting fitures. Please don't abandon one of the most interesting part of the game.

Edited by Noether

No it won´t. It´s will give the Player more Stress and Angry to hurt anyone real life than anything else. And it was everytime the Same. You lost and the Aliens won, esp. with bigger Ships.

If you wanna have such a fightmodel play Xenonauts 1. But not in Xenonauts 2. A mix from the new Form combined with the tactical Fights from XCom or the Old X-Com Series are supportable. But not the old Model like the Devs said already.  

Edited by Alienkiller

The developers already made it clear several times that they won't return to Xenontauts 1 model. I am curious what the plans are to put more tactical depth in the new model, because I really would like if you exchange the fast reactions in X1 by more tactical depth. But ATM it just feels like both the reactive gameplay and the tactical depth (for example not longer possible to do bait and then destroy coming in from side) have been removed.

I don't know but I really would like if there was reintroduced some more "2D-ness" in the new model rather than pure 1D-gameplay we have now. For example it could make a difference at what angle you came in on geoscape - so you could have a harder time closing in fast coming from behind as opposed from the side, while coming heads-on you could maybe accidently overshoot (add an escape zone behind the UFO and UFO would actually come closer during alien turn). It could be indicated by some speed incidator for the UFO that could point towards you, to up or nowhere at all if it is just moving sideways and allowing that vector to change during alien turn.

But what I find positive about the new model is that it removes some logical inconsistency there is in X1: It just doesn't make any sense forcing the UFOs to have missile lock and firing arc at the front and have them move only forward like aircraft - if alien technology involves things like anti-gravity and thrusters mounted in every direction, nothing prevents them from turning in any direction and firing backwards.

• 1 month later...

I am pretty visual. I didn't enjoy the X-1 air combat because of the micro-managing - I enjoyed it because I could actually see the UFOs and the fighters fight.

This... is not fun as it is. I have some ideas, but I am sure Chris and the rest of the team also have some. I don't care, but make it entertaining! :) It is a mini-game, it can be virtually *anything*!

My idea:

You're the commander in the action center. What do you see from the air combat? What do you hear?

- You see some radar charts, maybe projected on a map

- An audio-video feed from the pilot(s)

- You have an XO - he can direct the fight, or you do with him along. He has his own comments, info on the UFO, etc.

What do you do?

- You give strategy. The pilot does his job on dodging and firing on his own.

- You tell him: "Meet it head-on!", or "Harass it from a distance!", or "Close in cautiously!" - and he executes on his best skill (BTW pilots would be nice as staff, with stats...). Of course, you can give new commands as the situation changes - if you still have any of your planes left. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the air combat can work so long as they add some depth with weapon and aircraft types, and multi-plane fights. As-is there's basically no depth and the battles are just 2 minutes of tedium. I suppose it should also be shortened as well, in the original xenonauts an air fight could be over in 10 seconds.