[v2.0 Ground combat] Soldier remains standing after death.

Ninothree

It's not just soldiers with shields unfortunately, it affects all sorts of alien and Xenonaut units when they are killed. We're not sure why though, as it doesn't always happen - it's probably the biggest bug in the game right now and we're not really sure how to address it yet.

Hey I'm just a programmer in the real world  but I have seen this behavior in various languages so it might be relevant.

Try looking for what the code does when it overlays a rendered terrain tile with the replacing rendering code for the "dead" sprite. Some condition is "corruptin"g your "dead" sprite code and the language is reverting to the original render code instead of "crashing".

I get this behavior in one of our code editors - if you messed up it just "corrects it by not making the change. It is very annoying when you miss a semicolon etc. and all your code isn't saved.

Just a thought.

Everybody here seems to find the errors I do much faster than I can. Do you want quantity of errors (i.e. if I come across something already reported should I send another bug report from game or in forum?

8 hours ago, Dren608 said:

Hey I'm just a programmer in the real world  but I have seen this behavior in various languages so it might be relevant.

Try looking for what the code does when it overlays a rendered terrain tile with the replacing rendering code for the "dead" sprite. Some condition is "corruptin"g your "dead" sprite code and the language is reverting to the original render code instead of "crashing".

I get this behavior in one of our code editors - if you messed up it just "corrects it by not making the change. It is very annoying when you miss a semicolon etc. and all your code isn't saved.

Just a thought.

Everybody here seems to find the errors I do much faster than I can. Do you want quantity of errors (i.e. if I come across something already reported should I send another bug report from game or in forum?

Thanks. The game is 3d though so there's no sprites involved - it seems like this is an issue with the Unity animators, and it only occurs in the built game rather than in the Unity editor so it's super annoying.

If you find a bug that's already been reported then the best thing to do is just check that thread and see if there's any new information you can add to it. We definitely want to avoid people posting up new threads for bugs that already exist, but it's always useful when a single thread has as much information as possible in it!

• 1 month later...

Build V3.1

Had this happen a few times n Build V3.1 now and always sent an F11 bug report after that (as you told to do in some thread) - hope that there may at some point be something in Data that.

The reason I am posting this here again is that there appearantly was some change in code that added something to this behaviour. Now it is not longer just a graphical glitch but it affects the game logic, too. Basically the upright body is no longer seen as dead now.

At one instance, I had 2 of my Xenonauts killed during mission, one had the upright glitch. On debrief Screen, only one was dead, but still the items were stripped in armory. (Mentioned in other thread about Strat Ops, but it turns out that it is the standing upright and not Strat op that caused it).

Then during an UFO mission by chance the last sebillian got the issue (Screenshot 1). I did count the bodies to be sure, it was indeed sebillian Nr 6 of 6. Note: The body on the floor is actually a second sebillian that was killed the turn before, it is no duplicate body. However the Ground Mission would not end after the last kill. What I did next is move in all Xenonauts, one of them to same position as the upright sebillian. (Screenshot 2). Then I ended my turn, what then happened in quick succession (was not prepared to take a screenshot) was that 1. sebillian regenerated all the HP 2. Ground mission was completed. On debrief Screen the sebillian was not dead or captured (Screenshot 3). So it is strange it ended the ground mission - maybe there is actually some glitch in the capture and hold winning condition that allows to win immediately if I have 6 Xenonauts vs. 1 alien in the UFO for one turn, rather than at least one Xenonaut in UFO and no alien for 5 turns?

Either way, I think this change in behaviour points in the direction that it was probably something in the game logic all the time rather than in the animator and some code change brought that to the surface just now.

Screenshot 1:

2019-03-24_0145_1.thumb.png.59be9d86a9a6e4b61fc981c9d63b5953.png

Screenshot 2:

2019-03-24_0146_1.thumb.png.a05aa57ee0b8e23d0c6393d0f23b1022.png

Screenshot 3:

2019-03-24_0149_1.thumb.png.b9042d118ba12073a745e6d2660b9f7b.png

On 3/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, wulf 21 said:

Build V3.1

Had this happen a few times n Build V3.1 now and always sent an F11 bug report after that (as you told to do in some thread) - hope that there may at some point be something in Data that.

The reason I am posting this here again is that there appearantly was some change in code that added something to this behaviour. Now it is not longer just a graphical glitch but it affects the game logic, too. Basically the upright body is no longer seen as dead now.

At one instance, I had 2 of my Xenonauts killed during mission, one had the upright glitch. On debrief Screen, only one was dead, but still the items were stripped in armory. (Mentioned in other thread about Strat Ops, but it turns out that it is the standing upright and not Strat op that caused it).

Then during an UFO mission by chance the last sebillian got the issue (Screenshot 1). I did count the bodies to be sure, it was indeed sebillian Nr 6 of 6. Note: The body on the floor is actually a second sebillian that was killed the turn before, it is no duplicate body. However the Ground Mission would not end after the last kill. What I did next is move in all Xenonauts, one of them to same position as the upright sebillian. (Screenshot 2). Then I ended my turn, what then happened in quick succession (was not prepared to take a screenshot) was that 1. sebillian regenerated all the HP 2. Ground mission was completed. On debrief Screen the sebillian was not dead or captured (Screenshot 3). So it is strange it ended the ground mission - maybe there is actually some glitch in the capture and hold winning condition that allows to win immediately if I have 6 Xenonauts vs. 1 alien in the UFO for one turn, rather than at least one Xenonaut in UFO and no alien for 5 turns?

Either way, I think this change in behaviour points in the direction that it was probably something in the game logic all the time rather than in the animator and some code change brought that to the surface just now.

Thanks for the report. I'm 99% sure this is actually a different bug to the one in the OP so I think it'd be best to open a new thread. In the report you sent for the mission not ending with the last Sebillian being "killed", there is indeed an alien that is counted as "Dead" but has 3/67 HP. I've only seen this specific bug variant (where the aliens don't drop their gear) affect Sebillians so I'm fairly sure it's going to be something tied specifically to their Regenerate ability, whereas I think the bug in the OP is purely a visual / animation bug that can affect anyone. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:19 AM, wulf 21 said:

*snip*

Incidentally I've done some basic in-editor testing of the Sebillian regeneration across several turns of dealing damage and it seems to work fine; there's obviously a bug somewhere but I wasn't able to reproduce it at my first pass. I suggest we just keep our eyes open for possible triggers and do further testing once we have some ideas on what might be causing it.