May Development Update!

Missiles home in on their target, plasma projectiles don't. Lasers get a free pass at being good AA weapons because they hit nearly instantly. How fast can a plasma bolt travel? Ehhh not sure if want :/

Probably about as fast, if not faster than a missile. Pretty sure a plasma bolt has less weight and mass. But it could be missiles with plasma warheads, then you get the best of two worlds. My point was that it was kind of a chore in X-COM having to remove my old AA and then install the newer ones. At least give me an "Upgrade" button, it doesn't have to be instant.

EDIT: On the whole sex vs violence thing, since I've never been to the US I wouldn't know how it looks over there. I think it's pretty decent over here, most Swedish movies don't seem to shy away from one more than the other. Not that I've ever been watching much Swedish media until the past year or so.

Edited by Swe_Racoon

Maybe you would prefer to think of it as adding to the defences rather than replacing?

Having powerful lasers and plasma throwers in addition to your Alenium missiles might be a better proposal than outright replacing them.

Give the enemy a few different threat vectors to worry about.

While I can understand that people aren't all sold on the idea of the turrents being magically upgraded immediately and for free, I suspect that when you play the game you'll appreciate it. It really smooths out a process that was a bit unneccessarily complex before, especially given how infrequently defence turrets get used.

As Chris said, it's a tad tedious to demolish old AAs and build new ones when it could have been much smoother. Why not just throw in an "upgrade" button that starts constructing the most top tier AA you have over the old one, so to speak?

I'm not against the magical upgrading at all, since I'd assume there's no good reason to keep the old defenses.

would it not be a good and importantly consistent idea to then have the same thing to all other base facilities?

your workshop becomes an advanced workshop? Your research facilities* can get upgraded later in the game? perhaps it will work like that, I don't know. But if it's happening to the defence systems because it's much better would it be applied elsewhere?

*Assuming such facilities exist later in the game.

EDIT: On the whole sex vs violence thing, since I've never been to the US I wouldn't know how it looks over there. I think it's pretty decent over here, most Swedish movies don't seem to shy away from one more than the other. Not that I've ever been watching much Swedish media until the past year or so.

How much sex is allowed on TV depends on the channel that shows it. For example the Spartacus show that was on Tv6 in Sweden a few weeks ago was very graphical about the sex and the characters cursed ALL THE TIME. That's because when it was aired in America it was on Starz a "premium subscrption channel". (think the argument is that if you are a religious nutcase that are upset by such things don't subscribe to the channel).

I'm not really sure which channels accessible from Sweden is comparable to that. But that might be moot since I'm unsure how much SVT and TV4 allows their programs to allude to sex. I think SVT is pretty liberal?

Compare Spartacus to American sitcoms that in 80s (and 90s?) couldnt show a married couples bedroom if it had only one bed. It had to be seperate beds with a nightstand between them.

Edited by Gorlom

Talking about base defense weapons (turrets/missile):

I think that ( for the purpose of making people invest on them) if a base has little defense, when it get attacked by the aliens, the number of aliens in combat should be higher than a base with high defenses.

If the base has high defense system, when the aliens attack, their numbers should be considerably lower.

I agree that having upgrade functions on your buildings would be nicer then just magic free upgrades when you research the new tech. It definitely simplifies the process but question is does it simplify it too much? Do all defensive structures cost the same? If they don't then the "free" upgrade doesn't make sense either for example.

Removing and rebuilding is without a doubt a pain but I think that upgrading it instead at reduced price and build time would be best, possibly have it ask when you finish your research if you want to upgrade all your current defensive buildings. Could have the building still work during this time too but at a slightly reduced rate (75% of normal?) during the upgrade.

There's something Chris said that sort of needs repeating I think:

It's the only way to avoid having 5 different tiers of defences littering the menus at the end of the game when only one is useful.

Which is something I totally agree with which is why I'm fine with this auto-upgrade system.

Much like autoselling the useable plasma weaponry on the battlefield, this one's a 'Meh' for me. Far from game breaking, so I'll just move on from it.

I'd have at least charged for it, or had only one capable of appearing at any time in the base menu.

You can't charge money for it if it is an automatic feature.

What would happen if you didn't have any cash at the time?

Or if you had just saved enough to get that new weapon or interceptor that would turn the tide back in your favour then the game took your money away without your input.

My personal preference would be to have the upgrade run as a manufacturing job if possible.

Put your engineers to work building all those new weapons that will be installed.

The big downside is that you may have bases with no manufacturing capability that you wanted to upgrade.

As long as the research complete window explained that your defences would be upgraded automatically I am fine with it.

Rather than your defences being worse for the duration of an upgrade though I would suggest they increased from current to upgraded power levels.

What would happen if you didn't have any cash at the time?

that's what prompted my second option after the first. Spend seconds explaining myself?! pshaw!

If it's clutter of the menu that's the issue then there's something wrong with the menu. Keeping it to only one at a time on the available facilities menu would be an option

In the end I do not think that the auto upgrading defenses are such a big deal...

In the original X-Com I usually played without defences.

I normally built the bases using the elevator as a chokepoint. Killing all the aliens in the elevator/hangars was quite fun, provided that I was able to manage the 80 items limit correctly.

Build time of the defenses was too long! And they costed a lot.