Xenonauts 2 Closed Beta V2.1 Released!

This new build is a hotfix for Closed Beta V2.0 that was released last week, fixing a number of the stability issues with the game (it doesn't add new content). These V2 series of builds are primarily intended for testing purposes. If all goes well, we'll start thinking about gameplay and game balance in the next major release, the V3 builds.

Please note the closed beta is only open to Kickstarter backers who have backed the game at the £25+ tiers. If you're not one of those backers, you'll have to wait until the game launches into Early Access - currently planned for March. If you'd like notification about the game when it launches, you can do one of the following:

Finally, please don't stream this build - the game is not yet ready to be shown to the public, and even if your viewers were impressed by what they see they couldn't buy the game. You'll be able to stream without any restrictions once we reach Early Access!

CHANGELOG:

• Fixed a bug where the game crashed immediately after finishing a ground mission (visiting the Aircraft screen caused a serialization error that caused a crash when returning to Strategy).
  • Fixed a crash when you tried to use the Medikit in combat.
  • Disabled the disbanding / relocation of squadrons, both of which were causing all kinds of crashes.
  • Fixed an issue where saving / loading could break the equipment tabs in the Armory.
  • Fixed an issue where saving / loading could break the personnel slots on the Main Base.
  • Fixed a crash where you could bring up the demolition prompt for a building, then assign more staff to the room before you clicked "demolish".
  • Fixed a crash when you tried to assign a Scientist to a Medical Room.
  • Fixed an issue where the Skyranger would not return to base if its main target timed out, eventually the game to crash.
  • Fixed an eventual UI-related crash when you tried to access the strategy tutorial.
  • You no longer get movement "ghosts" from previous interceptions when you fight multiple air battles.
  • Added extra information to our crash logs to make it easier to debug the bugs we couldn't fix.

This doesn't account for all of the crashes and bugs reported, but it should cover most of them. The biggest issue was the crash that would occur after the ground combat if the player had accessed the new Aircraft screen at any point (which was a real pain to track down) and that's fixed now, so I think the game should be much more playable than before. 

Please continue to report any crashes or bugs that you encounter. If there's enough crashes left in the game then we might do a second hotfix to address them, but if it's mostly gameplay issues then we'll probably roll the fixes into our preparations for Build V3. Once again the bugs that were reported on the forums and via our error reporting tool were hugely valuable in letting us find and fix all these issues, so thanks to anyone that took the time to do that!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for te update. I almost feel sorry for just having tested the new fix release this week and reporting a lot of things after you maybe thought that there were no big issues in it anymore for 2 weeks. Alone the crash if there is a psyon commander on map would probably have been reason enough for another hotfix (given that we can't playtest one of the content additions in V2 at all) - but given how close you are to V3 already, I guess it would be best to fix as much as possible in there...

Edited by wulf 21

On 3/3/2019 at 7:50 PM, wulf 21 said:

Thanks for te update. I almost feel sorry for just having tested the new fix release this week and reporting a lot of things after you maybe thought that there were no big issues in it anymore for 2 weeks. Alone the crash if there is a psyon commander on map would probably have been reason enough for another hotfix (given that we can't playtest one of the content additions in V2 at all) - but given how close you are to V3 already, I guess it would be best to fix as much as possible in there...

Your bugtesting is always very useful, thanks - I'll be going through them all today as I gameplay test V3 and hopefully we can hotfix a bunch of the issues before V3 comes out (assuming we haven't already found and fixed them in the interim).

Just posting my answer again - seems like people are asking this all over the place and not finding the place where it was posted:

The answer:

On 3/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, Chris said:

I should also mention that our Early Access launch was due to happen at the end of this month, but unfortunately this is likely to be delayed by several months. We're hoping that this won't inconvenience our backers too much though - the remaining Kickstarter keys will be sent out at the end of this month as promised, and we're looking into alternative ways people who missed the Kickstarter can buy into the beta and still receive a Steam / GOG key when we launch into Early Access further down the line. I notice Phoenix Point are using Xsolla to run their beta but still grant a Steam/GOG key on release, so perhaps we can do something similar...

Found in this post:

As I understand the Early access date was never set in stone, however the kickstarter backers who got the promise to have early access by new, should get closed beta access now.