So I played the alpha and played old X1, read something found them concerning.

First of, from what the alpha looks like this game is a leap forward in somethings, like the ability to rotate view. The addition of new weapons like a grenade launcher. However I found somethings concerning.

The mention of primary/sidearms:

While it is a little outlandish to wield both the M4 and SMG as both are designed for the same thing, CQC. The PDW is often a sidearm of Snipers, and Machine gunners IRL. Think of it this way Some weapons are limited in the how often you can shoot, or how they are used (in the case of MGs and Snipers). Unless you include even more modern snipers/MGs (which are lighter), that have full auto capability I think is reasonable for people to have SMGs/PDWs as sidearms. Or rather, the cumbersome weapon becomes the sidearm lol.

On old x1 for example, you have Rocketeers with Rocket Launcher as a primary. This is just not how it is or should be, I quickly changed my Rocketeers loadout to rockets/AR. If I had an SMG I would use it for weaker characters who unfortunately were nominated the role.

PDW's and how they balance:

IMHO I think the advantage of the PDW over the AR is the actual weight of the weapon. Leading to better reflexes.

It should sit comfortable in the middle between a side arm like a pistol, and an ar. I've played a mod where SMGs did not have select fire, I feel like they should. It should be similar to an AR except for the shorter range, better reflex (not as good as a pistol), and slight reduction on TU penalty.

Grenades:

I've played both 2k's XCOM and Xenonauts. I know some people find it frustrating, but I like the 1 turn or half turn delay grenades have. As it simulate how grenades are used, throw/take cover.

Rpg:

I'd like to have a 3 rocket types. Generally I've seen 2 but usually incendiary which I usually don't use. The I like to see HEDP or HE and HEAT rockets. Both filling different roles and capabilities. HEAT is for mainly machinery and penetrating surfaces, while the other just blow ups on impact.

I feel the advantages of the HE rocket should be weight, and possibly blast radius. While the other shoots through doors/windows/walls possibly.

Edited by TheJournier

So from a special operations perspective, almost all operators will carry a pistol.  Even snipers that are also carrying a scoped long rifle and a M4 would most likely be carrying a pistol as well.  It all depends on mission set.  Being most of the missions in this game are not humping long distances, I think there should be a direct modifier of movement and dodging based on how weighted down you are compared to your strength.  

Now that I think about it, it still would be more likely that a sniper would have a pistol and not their M4 rather than a sniper rifle and a M4.  But you are right in most situations snipers would carry both.  Unless its really hot and its a really long insert and you just don't feel like carrying it and deployment is long and you haven't taken contact in like 3 weeks.... it all depends.  

So the difference between X1 and X2 is that you can use the item in your secondary slot without any additional TU cost - so it's perfectly possible to bring a sniper rifle or grenade launcher and then have an assualt rifle as your "secondary", but it'd go in your backpack and you'd need to spend TU to switch to it. Whereas if you have a smaller sidearm-style weapon like a pistol you can fire it freely while wielding your "main" weapon, although it's less powerful as a result. I think the fundamentals of that system are fine but yeah there's obviously some fine balancing to be done on weights and such.

The grenade explosion delay (where they detonate at end of turn) is going to be re-implemented at some point in development, we've just not got round to it yet. Grenades end up being a bit overpowered otherwise.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, devinemag said:

So from a special operations perspective, almost all operators will carry a pistol.  Even snipers that are also carrying a scoped long rifle and a M4 would most likely be carrying a pistol as well.  It all depends on mission set.  Being most of the missions in this game are not humping long distances, I think there should be a direct modifier of movement and dodging based on how weighted down you are compared to your strength.  

Now that I think about it, it still would be more likely that a sniper would have a pistol and not their M4 rather than a sniper rifle and a M4.  But you are right in most situations snipers would carry both.  Unless its really hot and its a really long insert and you just don't feel like carrying it and deployment is long and you haven't taken contact in like 3 weeks.... it all depends.  

Yeah in absolute real life thing soldiers do carry sidearms always, regardless of what other weapons the also have. 

in my old X1 playthroughs my snipers/heavy weapons always carried just pistol, but my "Rocketeer" always had AR (logic behind that is that I'm only gonna shoot the RPG 3 times tops and it becomes useless, however the sniper/mg can be shot multiple times past that). So I would wind up with that. I've always heard PDW's though accompanied other firearms though like pistol, so my though it was rather a pocket ar or a step up from a plain pistol (also needs at stronger soldier to capitalize on that advantage).

@Chris

thanks for clearing that up for me though. Looking forward to the steam release... :) 

Heavy weapons personal should have at lest a pistol, as a secondary, and if weight allows, something with a little more grunt, like SMG 9mm, when your primary weapon runs out of ammo or malfunctions.

If not you have a soldier on the field now who will need to get out, or find a replacement weapon, that person is a burden on the team now!!