Suggestions after playing the Alpha

I finally tried playing the alpha yesterday and was incredibly impressed! The interceptor combat is really cool and the geoscape has an amazing feel. Also very impressed with the amount of detail in the writing. Love the tileset details etc.

I have a few suggestions though.

1. When buying/selling/assigning researchers, it would be great to have a movable bar. It takes a long time to click the arrow to sell 80 piece of alien alloy for example. It would best, as in Apocalypse, where you can slide the bar to quickly sell everything. Assigning many scientists to a project would also help a great deal.

2. Slow down the smoke animation. It's too fast! I'd recommend even redoing it so its more dispersed less detailed as the details enhance the tiling effect so it doesn't look so good and scary. There also needs to be some more lighter smoke variations so that the smoke fades out over an area.

3. Lower alpha of walls that are in front of soldiers.

4. Make the fog of war much scarier by having more of a falloff effect like in the first two games. There absolutely must be a library available that can filter tile set colors/contrasts to get the right look, simply darkening them would definitely be good enough though.

5. Have civilians running away from the aliens. They seem to run randomly, and often towards them. As panicked as people can get, they never run towards the source of the panic.

6. Soldeirs should sometimes survive being "killed", if they don't already...

Edited by PyRoT
Wolfy is right, I shouldn't stress the fog of war so much . The game rocks as is but these simple ideas can make it better

I finally tried playing the alpha yesterday and was incredibly impressed! The interceptor combat is really cool and the geoscape has an amazing feel. Also very impressed with the amount of detail in the writing. Love the tileset details etc.

I have a few suggestions though.

1. When buying/selling/assigning researchers, it would be great to have a movable bar. It takes a long time to click the arrow to sell 80 piece of alien alloy for example. It would best, as in Apocalypse, where you can slide the bar to quickly sell everything. Assigning many scientists to a project would also help a great deal.

2. Slow down the smoke animation. It's too fast! I'd recommend even redoing it so its more dispersed less detailed as the details enhance the tiling effect so it doesn't look so good and scary. There also needs to be some more lighter smoke variations so that the smoke fades out over an area.

3. Lower alpha of walls that are in front of soldiers.

4. Make the fog of war much scarier by having more of a falloff effect like in the first two games. There absolutely must be a library available that can filter tile set colors/contrasts to get the right look, simply darkening them would definitely be good enough though.

5. Have civilians running away from the aliens. They seem to run randomly, and often towards them. As panicked as people can get, they never run towards the source of the panic.

5. Soldeirs should sometimes survive being "killed", if they don't already...

6. Number 4 again. I cannot stress how important the fog of war is. It is till the main reason I'm holding off on contributing to Kickstarter :(

As much as I agree with you on a lot of these things, the fog of war doesn't matter to me.

1: there are already ways to speed it up. rightclicking (and holding) an arrow assigns 10 at a time. ctrl leftclickign assigns all.

3: Is that the same as higher opacity? Its beeing worked on afaik But the game engine is beeing difficult.

4: Do you mean anything like these 2 suggestions:here and http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1243-V9.1-Ground-Combat-Fog-of-War?p=15507&viewfull=1#post15507' rel="external nofollow">'>here?

5: alpha AI. will be fixed :) (although I kinfa like that part. And i hope the civvies run from Xenonauts as well in some cases)

6: They already do. At 0 hp they have 50% chance to survive and scales down to -20hp when they have 0%chance to survive. That should already be ingame.

Thanks. All these have been suggested before and we'll see how many we can can fix up in beta - though the better AI is already in the works. For the buttons you can Ctrl+click to assign all, and right-click to assign 10 at a time. Speeds things up.

Thanks. All these have been suggested before and we'll see how many we can can fix up in beta - though the better AI is already in the works. For the buttons you can Ctrl+click to assign all, and right-click to assign 10 at a time. Speeds things up.

Thanks Chris. You've crafted an excellent game so far and I look forward to seeing the progress. Especially the xenopedia autopsy pics haha. Ill be contributing soon :)