[V1.3, V2.0, V2.1, V3.0, V3.1, V4 - Ground Combat] CTD after (burst) firing alien rifle or machine gun (or actually any weapon can cause it)

wulf 21

Good News! Managed to reproduce it perfectly. The key idea was: If Im convinced that movement is not interrupted by alien sight, why not leave aliens out of it completely? No frame perfect inputs involved either, can do the click as slowly as I want. I only do not know where the randomness comes from if Shift+Click alien rather than Shift+Ctrl+click is used. One prerequisite is probably that the soldier needs to be able to fire at the target before moving, which is not always the case, maybe there are some others I am not aware of.

These are the reproduction steps that make the game crash every time:

• Start a new game, place initial base
  • fast forward until there appears a ground mission and start it - there will typically be no aliens in sight (if there are, you can start over, but it will still work most of the time)
  • select any soldier
  • prepare a movement command (just one step out of heli is enough) with one left click (screenshot 1)
  • hold Ctrl+Shift on a forward tile that is already in sight (Screenshot 2)
  • click left - soldier does the move (screenshot 3)
  • let go Ctrl+Shift
  • hold Ctrl
  • left click

Attached: output.zip

The other crash error message with grenades can be reproduced the same way, slightly modified steps:

• fast forward until there appears a ground mission and start it - there will typically be no aliens in sight (if there are, you can start over, but it will still work most of the time)
  • select any soldier
  • left click grenade slot
  • press and let go Ctrl, so you still have the grenade selected but are out of the forced throw mode
  • prepare a movement command (just one step out of heli is enough) with one left click
  • hold Ctrl+Shift on a forward tile that is already in sight
  • click left - soldier does the move
  • let go Ctrl+Shift
  • hold Ctrl
  • left Click

Attached: output_nade.zip

Screenshot 1:

2019-03-23_1315_1.thumb.png.a9b660bb6bff4635e21acb3189c31490.png

Screenshot 2:

2019-03-23_1315_2.thumb.png.60f9103ca6d9c9f3609a93ad7f7efaca.png

Screenshot 3:

2019-03-23_1315_3.thumb.png.2a312061e916af59c6621605f5c8f6da.png

Edited by wulf 21
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, wulf 21 said:

Good News! Managed to reproduce it perfectly. The key idea was: If Im convinced that movement is not interrupted by alien sight, why not leave aliens out of it completely? No frame perfect inputs involved either, can do the click as slowly as I want. I only do not know where the randomness comes from if Shift+Click alien rather than Shift+Ctrl+click is used. One prerequisite is probably that the soldier needs to be able to fire at the target before moving, which is not always the case, maybe there are some others I am not aware of.

These are the reproduction steps that make the game crash every time:

• select any soldier
  • prepare a movement command (just one step out of heli is enough) with one left click (screenshot 1)
  • hold Ctrl+Shift on a forward tile that is already in sight (Screenshot 2)
  • click left - soldier does the move (screenshot 3)
  • let go Ctrl+Shift
  • hold Ctrl
  • left click

Attached: output.zip

Good thinking. I actually couldn't reproduce this at first because it turns out there's apparently one other thing that's very important (which I think you already know about actually, you just didn't say it explicitly so it took me a couple of tries to figure it out myself) - you cannot move your mouse once you click to move, you have to target the specific tile that your cursor was on the whole time with your shot. If you move your mouse to a different tile then the crash doesn't occur, which is probably why it's been so hard for me to reproduce in my earlier testing. But now I know how to do it you can get it to crash in any circumstance whether aliens are visible or not, including in our developer editor.

Great work finding the repro steps. I'll ask the coders to look into this and if there's a simple explanation for what was going wrong then I'll let you know what it is; if not then I'll card it up as a fix for the next build. You've definitely gone beyond the call of duty in this thread and all of here at goldhawk appreciate having someone like you to help us find and fix these annoying crashes!

On 4/16/2019 at 12:16 PM, Chris said:

Fixed a bug where you could crash the game by incorrectly queuing up shots in combat.

The changelog says it was fixed in V4. (At least I assume this thread was meant) But appearantly, it's not.

Got it randomly again, shooting alien after moving around obstacle with Shift+Click: output.zip

After that, reproduced it intentionally with above reproduction steps: output (2).zip

12 hours ago, wulf 21 said:

The changelog says it was fixed in V4. (At least I assume this thread was meant) But appearantly, it's not.

Got it randomly again, shooting alien after moving around obstacle with Shift+Click: output.zip

After that, reproduced it intentionally with above reproduction steps: output (2).zip

Thanks. I've checked with the team and there was a bit of confusion internally here - the bug is fixed, but the fix is tied to the new UI and so didn't make it into this release because the new UI isn't in yet. It'll be fixed in the next major update (V5).