[V1.2, V2.1 - Ground Combat] instant Mission completed

wulf 21

After loading the quicksave die_ctd_quick_save.zip a few times (from the other thead), I suddently saw the "mission complete" screen right after the ground mission loaded. Here is the debrief screen right after that: There just were no aliens on the map at all:

h6atd0e5kvqmmnr6g.jpg

In the log it can be seen that the random map generator somehow generated the map without any places where it would be possible to spawn aliens:

2018-12-09 21:54:03,191 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 
#Spawning# Skipped <color=#ADC> Reference: Template  - Combatant - Species:psyon, RoleGroup:default, Ethnicity:default, Gender:default :: {No LifeStatus on target} (using SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0],SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0]) </color> as no appropriate spawn location could be found

2018-12-09 21:54:03,193 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 
#Spawning# Skipped <color=#ADC> Reference: Template  - Combatant - Species:psyon, RoleGroup:default, Ethnicity:default, Gender:default :: {No LifeStatus on target} (using SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0],SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0]) </color> as no appropriate spawn location could be found

2018-12-09 21:54:03,196 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 

2018-12-09 21:54:03,198 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 
#Spawning# Skipped <color=#ADC> Reference: Template  - Combatant - Species:psyon, RoleGroup:default, Ethnicity:default, Gender:default :: {No LifeStatus on target} (using SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:Guard, Number: 0],SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0]) </color> as no appropriate spawn location could be found

2018-12-09 21:54:03,200 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 

2018-12-09 21:54:03,202 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 

2018-12-09 21:54:03,204 [ERROR] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:471) 
#Spawning# Skipped <color=#ADC> Reference: Template  - Combatant - Species:psyon, RoleGroup:default, Ethnicity:default, Gender:default :: {No LifeStatus on target} (using SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:Commander, Number: 0],SpawnRegionComponent [Player: Players:alien, Target: SpawnTarget:General, Number: 0]) </color> as no appropriate spawn location could be found

2018-12-09 21:54:03,206 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\release-v0.34.0\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:499) 
#Spawning# <color=#18F> Spawned 0 units </color> in total for player Players:alien.

Attached the logfile and recording: mission_complete_bug.rar

Edited by wulf 21

Still happens in V1.3. After playing around a bit, I noticed that it would sometimes load the larger UFO-dummy on the map (the one with one main room, one backroom and 2 siderooms) despite me definitely having shot down a light scout UFO.

I think what happens is that if the game is saved and loaded while there is a crashsite on geoscape - it is does not properly restore the type of UFO that was shot down before and instead randomly selects a new type for the crashsite. And it would just sometimes select one where there was not put any dummy for in the game.

Update: could not confirm my suspicion so far - each time I loaded a savegame I prepared, it would still display the same UFO-type and terrain-type after loading the savegame. However there is definitely something weird going on with quicksave and quickload - Sometimes F9 would load an older savefile even if the quick_save was the newest - maybe that's why I got the impression it was exchanging UFO types. Not sure how to reproduce this.

Edited by wulf 21

• 2 months later...

just happened to mit in V2.1 again. This time I have a savegame where it happens 100% of the time after loading it and fast forward time.

It does not seem to be ralated to the save/load mechanism itself this time, because it did happen even the first time (i.e right after shooting down the UFO, before saving and loading in between).

I suppose, it is because of the Game chose the dockyard terrain  for the crashsite mission, which does not seem to work (actually the game does load the jungle map, not dockyard).
Edit: Just got into ground mission where terrain dockyard was visible in Geoscape but it did load into jungle and NOT instant mission complete. So this is not the reason...

In the log it can be seen that it does only spawn Xenonauts and Civilians, but no aliens and mission is determined to be completed right after spawning everything:

2019-02-27 21:34:51,380 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:556) 
#Spawning# Spawned Reference: Template  - Soldier [Name: - Rank:civilian] {No LifeStatus on target} (AIArchetype:aggressive) on [F:0, I:119, J:61] / [X:59, Y:0, Z:30], ID:7988 Type:Centre

2019-02-27 21:34:51,383 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Screens\GroundCombat\GroundCombatInitialization.cs:438) 
#Spawning# <color=#18F> Spawned 3 units </color> in total for player Players:local.

2019-02-27 21:34:51,385 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Libraries\Artitas\Artitas.Core\Code\World.cs:649) 
Queued global::Xenonauts.GroundCombat.Events.CameraRegisteredEvent: Camera: GlobalEntity 2459

2019-02-27 21:34:51,392 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Lifecycles\ScreenLifecycle\ScreenManager.cs:131) 
MoveTo GroundCombat was successful, removing from queue

So, this instance of the instant mission completed was obviously introduced with the V2.0.

But since It did happen before, I will let you know if I find it again with a UFO mission that is not displayed as dockyard terrain.

attached: quick_save.json + output.zip

Edited by wulf 21
Info corrected

Oh, this did not take long:

This savegame the crashsite terrain is "junkyard" but the ground combat loads to desert and than instantly completes the mission:

attached quick_save.json and output.zip for this case as well.

Did not encounter the case again that it was random after loading wether the instant complete happens or not, yet. Will tell if I do. (but maybe the randomness in earlier versions actually was because of a savegame issue that is fixed now?).

Edit: Actually the savefile in thread linked below is junkyard, too, and does not instant mission complete. So it is not the case for specific terrains. However some change in 2.x certainly did remove the randomness. If a crashsite is in the savefile, it will either always instant mission complete or never it seems now.

Edited by wulf 21

I had this happen on a Raid mission, too, now (however I can't reproduce that, yet). It seems that if it happens on a raid mission, it will cause a game crash on going back to Geoscape (log looks like the game is attmepting to execute some post-mission code that was intended for crashsite missions instead of Raids)

2019-03-02 11:27:56,622 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Libraries\Artitas\Artitas.Core\Code\World.cs:664) 
Handled global::Xenonauts.Events.ExceptionReport: ExceptionReport: NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

2019-03-02 11:27:56,824 [INFO] (D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Libraries\Common\Code\Debug\BugReport\RaygunClientSystem.cs:104) 
RAYGUN: Message sent. (message:[GCToStrategyMissionReturnParameters.AttemptToGrabUFOFromStrikeMission:289] NullReferenceException : Object reference not set to an instance of an object, stacktrace:  at Xenonauts.Strategy.GCToStrategyMissionReturnParameters.AttemptToGrabUFOFromStrikeMission (Artitas.Entity mission) [0x0004b] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Screens\Strategy\GCToStrategyMissionReturnParameters.cs:289 
  at Xenonauts.Strategy.Systems.StrategyLogicSystem.ProcessCombatResults (Xenonauts.Strategy.Events.ProcessCombatResultsCommand command) [0x0016f] in D:\Jenkins\workspace\X2 (Build)\hotfix-0.37.1\Assets\Code\Screens\Strategy\Systems\StrategyLogicSystem.cs:247 

Attached: output.zip

Edited by wulf 21

Hmm. I'm going to make the assumption that this one is fixed already, although if you encounter it in V3 then please do report it.

There's a bug that we fixed that could cause this to happen - basically what happened was when the user interacted with the icon in a particular way that I can't really remember (possibly opening / closing it repeatedly) it broke the link between the mission and the alien squad that was meant to spawn on that mission. This resulted in no aliens spawning into the mission and the player winning instantly. Hopefully that will stop this occurring any more.