Keeping alien weapons

Blade

I don't know, just having EA access, but I'd be amazed if human plasma weapons weren't the next level tech available after Gauss weapons.

I think an accuracy penalty for weapons the soldier isn't trained in would be fair, and/or higher TU cost to fire and reload. So at a pinch you can pick up the alien weapon you've never used before, but you won't be as good with it as your own weapon.  

• Like 2

Raffik, that´s correct with the Laser-Weapon-Example. Humanity and esp. the Military-Part of it are working on Laser-Weapons and the usability of it since several Decades (the Anti-Atomic-Missle-Satellite-Shield and for Ships, Tanks etc.).

In Xenonauts 2 you get it with the R & D from Alien-Materials and the Pre-Work from the real R & D-Efforts of Human Military, which get announced in the Xenopedia.

Plasma Weapons are evtl. possible, but not before the Mid or End of 21st Century / Beginning 22nd Century, before you get Phase-Cannons and then Phasers. There Star Trek with the investigations (Weapon-Techs and similar) and foreboding (not the good things on Earth) isn´t wrong.

The correct Way in Weapon-Tech is: Standard, evtl. Accelerated (which is done in Xenonauts 2) / Ammo-Refit (like it´s done in UFO 2 ET: Battle for Mercury and hopfully UFO 1 ET-Refit), Laser (in both Games), Laser-Refit through Alien-Plasma-Weapons-Research (Xenonauts 2) / ????????? (UFO ET-Row), Gauss Cannon & Advancements (Xenonauts 2) / ??????? new Engery-Weapons (UFO-ET-Row) and then it belongs to the played Game, what Tech you get as best one.

Like said, in Xenonauts 2 you can´t use alien-Weapons and if you can use them theoretically, your Soldiers will die before they can make the first shoot. Therefore you can Upgrade / Refit your existing Weapons, which can be used from Humans. And evtl. earlyer or later the Ammo too, like you can do it already with Explosives.

So don´t discuss about things, which you can´t change, think about things you can integrate (like upgradeable Ammo for existing Weapons and whatever the Engery-Magazine-Things for Energy-Weapons get called).

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

So don´t discuss about things, which you can´t change, think about things you can integrate (like upgradeable Ammo for existing Weapons and whatever the Engery-Magazine-Things for Energy-Weapons get called).

Alienkiller, this is a general discussion thread. Noone can change things here except the devs, therefore we all are discussing things here to bring forward our ideas in hopes, that these would ispire the devs or to change their minds so they take over some of our ideas and add those into the game based on popular demand. Chris himself stated, that nothing is set in stone and that he is more in favor of the player not using the alien weapons and I am okny with it. But he did not say, that there will not be any alien weapons usage allowed. So I reacted with my opinion and suggestion, which is the essence of a discussion, isn't it.... :)

Integration - yes. The alien plasma weapons are already integrated in the game, I do not know if there would ever be human plasma weapons in the game, although I have seen some artwork on the web already. So my presented idea was based on the things already in the game and in the general discussion thread, if the alien plasma weapons should be allowed for usage by players. And again, my opinion is, that if there will be human plasma weapons introduced to the game, then it makes not so much sense to let the player use the alien ones. If there would be no human plasma weapons introduced, then a research could enable alien plasma weaponry use, with some restrictions to not break the research. But this will be decided by Chris and the devs and we all understand this.

On a side note: currently in EA, advanced laser weapons are enough to be used throughout the mid to late game, gauss is usable and even more powerful as alien plasma so there is no need for plasma weapons atm. 

On 10.12.2018 at 18:19, Chris said:

That's more of a fine detail thing so I'm not totally sure what I'll eventually go for, but the current intention is to go for the first option where you can't use alien weapons at all. Being able to recover and use alien weapons does tend to break the tech and manufacturing tree quite badly (as the heavy plasma in the original X-Com demonstrates).

The penalty for the accuracy and peed of using alien weapons will make it impractical to use them as the main weapon for humans. But this will allow the player's soldiers to use alien weapons in case of a shortage of ammunition for their own weapons.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, Komandos said:

The penalty for the accuracy and peed of using alien weapons will make it impractical to use them as the main weapon for humans. But this will allow the player's soldiers to use alien weapons in case of a shortage of ammunition for their own weapons.

Agree.

After realizing, that the players can use alien grenades picked up from the ground during tactical combat, but are not able to equip them before mission on their base, I believe, that the same logic should be applied to alien weapons as well (use in the same mission, sell after combat)

Whether the players should be able to keep and equip the alien weapons is a different question. There would have to be mandatory research and some benefit for the player for producing such weapons in order to preserve the tech/production tree as @Chris was concerned earlier.

For example, the possibility to use cleaner accelerated weapons (implemented on popular demand) breaks the tech tree of acc weaponry (aside of discussions if accelerated is better than laser). The researched acc weapons are heavier with the same stats, so there is no need to produce them if you can loot them. There needs to be a catch for the researched/produced weapons, such as more ammo, better hit bonus, better accuracy etc in order for the tech/prod trees not to be affected. Looting would be still an option, but producing the researched weapons would be better.

Makes sense to block the alien weapons being used in mission, by virtue of an electronic trigger lock or something.  But the text currently says that can be circumvented in the lab, so logically we can expect there to be an option to remanufacture alien weapons into our own.  Then the interesting problem might be the ammo supply.  Rather than having ammo supply limited only by the weight capacity of our troops, maybe we need a certain level of engineering resource devoted to keeping our stolen weapons full of ammo.  Maybe we want to break the captured ammo down for alenium to feed something else instead of using it in battle.

Maybe our government sponsors just take everything that we salvage once we have completed the initial research into it, and give us a cash bounty.  Also saves it from clogging up all our storage space just in case we might be able to use it later.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

Makes sense to block the alien weapons being used in mission, by virtue of an electronic trigger lock or something.  But the text currently says that can be circumvented in the lab, so logically we can expect there to be an option to remanufacture alien weapons into our own.  Then the interesting problem might be the ammo supply.  Rather than having ammo supply limited only by the weight capacity of our troops, maybe we need a certain level of engineering resource devoted to keeping our stolen weapons full of ammo.  Maybe we want to break the captured ammo down for alenium to feed something else instead of using it in battle.

Maybe our government sponsors just take everything that we salvage once we have completed the initial research into it, and give us a cash bounty.  Also saves it from clogging up all our storage space just in case we might be able to use it later.

Considering the gigantic breakthrough as an energy source it makes sense that the organization would be pressured into selling Allenium instead of using it.