[V1.2, V2.0, V2.1, V3.1 - Ground Combat] alien and civilians still visible after moving out of line-of-sight

wulf 21

This already happened the second time, after having noticed in in V1.1 before already shortly before update came out. I think there is a pattern.

I was playing with the line-of-sight indicator on since round 2 of the ground engagement. The following sequence of events happened:

1. the alien was standing where the purple blood is visible in the screenshot
  2. I shot him with the soldier visible in the middle. The shotgun soldier in the upper right corner shot another alien before going into cover behind the rock in the same turn, so he could see the alien at the end of my turn.
  3. I moved the soldier in the middle behind the trees. so he was facing away from the alien and had cover from the alien at the end of my turn
  4. Then during the alien turn, the alien did move to where it is standing now in the screenshot

That means:

• the alien started his move within the line-of-sight of sight
  • the place where the alien ended the move was in line-of-sight during my turn, but not during alien turn

Therefore, I should not have been able to see where the alien ended his turn, but I was.

I checked, too that I could still see the alien after disabling the line-of-sight-indicator. The reason why I checked this was that in another ground combat mission, it was working correctly (alien moving out of line-of-sight disappeared from screen), but I had not enabled the line-of-sight incidator at that time. After enabling it, I saw the reason the alien disappeared and the alien stayed disappeared after enabling it. So it might be that it only happens if the indicator is activated at the time but the result stays, no matter if it is activated/deactivated after.

But on the other hand, it might be a coincidence and the reason why it worked correctly was that not all the above conditions were true.

There might be something helpful in the same logs I posted in the Medkit Game Crash thead: logs.zip as this was the same ground combat round that then ended with the crash.

Screenshots:

a2s4d2eh82yqm9i6g.jpg

3oo79p96mm17f5j6g.jpg

Edited by wulf 21
  • Thanks 1

I randomly noticed how this plays out it the line-of-sight indicator is off:

The alien would stay visible during whole alien turn but would vanish from screen after alien turn is finished. If the indicator is on, it stays on screen. Actually both behaviours are not correct: Alien should become invisible for player as soon as it steps on first Tile that is not currently within any Xenonaut line-of-sight, even during alien turn.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It is still in V2.0. And it affects civilians as well as aliens. I don't know if I just did not notice that earlier or something was changed in this version but:

As soon as the civilian did move out of line-of-sight, the game actually fast-forwarded (like it does for all the hidden movement). So it looked like the civilian was teleported to its final position. For better understanding, I marked the movement path on screenshot. The green path was about the way the civilian moved inside my line-of-sight. The red path  was the way he was "teleported" - which is wrong, because I should have no way to know where he is without looking there.

(Small OT: Game Design wise it would make kind of sense to leave a transparant ghost to mark a position where NPCs was last seen - but giving the player an information he should not have is clearly a bug).

Reported that instance of the bug with F11 aditionally. (Maybe there is some useful information in that auto-collected data)

2019-02-03_1144_1_edited.thumb.png.a055ea295d9380a05a293091e165c1c1.png

• Thanks 1

(deleted what I wrote here before)

Oh, wait, just realized that V2.1 was out on 7th Feb and you wrote your answer on 8th so "next patch" would be V2.2 (if there will be a fix release) or V3.0 and it can't be fixed in V2.1 - sorry for the bump...

But now that I did bump it up anyway, I can use the opportunity to say that it is nice to know that my report was helpful - going to continue to test the heck out of the releases and report everything I find :).

Edited by wulf 21
  • Thanks 1

It is somehow happening in V3.1 again. The appearance is the same (civilian and aliens appear to "teleport" to the final location after stepping on first grey tile). Here are some screenshots:

I think sometimes is is working as it should - so maybe it was just fixd for the case where NPC is not visible because it is outside of the viewing cone and noth where it is behind obstacle. Or Maybe the reason is actually the same as why sometimes I can see the alien head indicator when I shouldn't (the other thread).

2019-03-24_0050_1.thumb.png.9187eee3a168435700a30b70c034863e.png

2019-03-24_0050_2.thumb.png.6c8968653f095b7a43301ac7125ec0e6.png

2019-03-24_0133_1.thumb.png.1b77ec7cc98da74325be610a2db24d9a.png

Hmm - for both this and the alien head icon, we'll probably hold off on trying to fix them for now in the absence of reproduction steps. These are important bugs we'll want to fix before release but we're focusing on trying to get everything in place for Early Access and it's more time efficient to add features / fix things that aren't open-ended tasks. I'll keep an eye on the threads but we'll concentrate on other things for now.