[V1.2 - General] Only 1 laser battery.

Sitesy

They should actually be infinite - the only problem is that the infinity symbol disappears after you drag one of them out ... but this happens to all types of ammo.

It's strange to see though that your laser rifle hasn't been equipped with a battery by default. The system is a bit stupid at the moment because you have to drag the ammo over an invisible ammo slot to load it in the weapon. It's not usually a problem though because weapons should equip their default ammo when placed in the Primary slot for the first time.

Can you just check whether you do actually have infinite ammo and you're just encountering the bugs I mentioned above?

OK, can we just walk through the process? Because I just tested it and it seems to work fine. This is what I did:

• Built a base in South America (so UFOs don't interrupt me)
  • Hired a couple of scientists and researched up to Laser Rifles
  • Constructed two Laser Rifles
  • Loaded up a soldier inventory, dragged the Laser Rifle onto their Primary Slot
  • Used the arrows to move to the next soldier, and dragged the Laser Rifle onto their Primary Slot

Doing that gave me two soldiers carrying Laser Rifles, both of which had a laser battery equipped in them. I could also see the Laser Battery with infinite capacity in the Ammo tab.

Are you guys doing anything different to that? Can you test what I just did there and see if you get the same result? If there is a bug I guess it's being triggered by something that I'm not doing when I do my testing. Did you have a ground mission at some point in the process?

I'm running the 1.3 update from December 10th (today) and went through these steps as follows:

• Built a base in Australia
  • Constructed two Laser Rifles
  • Loaded up a soldier inventory and saw that there were 2 Laser Rifles
  • Checked the Belt inventory and there was just one Laser Battery as seen here:

30w839c.jpg

• When I dragged a laser rifle into the primary slot it came over unloaded

Not sure what I'm doing differently, but I'm definitely not seeing what you're seeing.

Appears to be fixed, V1.3.

I've done 2 run-throughs one normal gameplay and one just focusing on producing laser rifle, both had infinite laser batteries and autoloaded the clip although infinite symbol does disappear after moving ammo across to soldier.

2039443255_Xenonauts211_12_20187_43_11PM(2).thumb.png.a1cd2a97ee723f3e612db41d664867d1.png

Apart from the symbol seems to be fixed, Thanks Chris!

Edited by Sitesy

Started another new game and followed the steps you outlined Chris and this time I got 2 laser rifles and an infinite number of laser batteries. Which is different behaviour from what I saw yesterday. 

Still had the same issue with the infinite number of items changing to 1 after the first battery is moved, but so long as I didn't actually put a battery on the belt then I had no issues with equipping a loaded laser rifle.

Not sure what is causing the different behaviour though because each time I play I seem to get something slightly different.

Latest steam version , new game  , normal play , 4 ufo down , researched laser , build 1 laser , assigned to soldier , not getting auto loaded , only 1 ammo , got loaded in ufo recovery

build second laser , had no ammo so didn't use it or tried to unassign the first laser and ammo , did read post above so did this try :

started a new game ,no fighting ,  researched laser , build 3 lasers ,assigned laser got auto loaded and ammo got unlimited sign as long as i didn't move the ammo itself from the belt menu in a soldier his belt .

work around , unload ammo from laser when assigned to soldier and drag it into belt , unassign laser and assign laser again , still got autoloaded and unlimited sign still there and the one in belt also , repeat same procedure for 3 soldiers , al had now loaded laser and 2 ammo in belt , belt menu still has unlimited as long as i don't move the ammo from belt menu ;-)

game time ended couldn't test more

1 hour ago, Johan_Seutens said:

started a new game ,no fighting ,  researched laser , build 3 lasers ,assigned laser got auto loaded and ammo got unlimited sign as long as i didn't move the ammo itself from the belt menu in a soldier his belt .

I wonder if the fighting part is somehow related because on the recent test where I did have a ground combat mission during manufacture, I didn't end up with unlimited batteries and just got one. But when I didn't perform any ground combat is when I received the unlimited laser batteries.

I started a new game on V1.3 and did nothing but forward time to produce laser rifles. I have had this bug show up once out of many repeats and I can't seem to reproduce it atm. 

Additionally if I put the laser rifle in my pack instead of hands it is not automatically loaded and cannot be manually loaded. Moving it from hands to pack unloads it.

*edit* The research job unlocks the infinite batteries rather than the laser rifle production job. I would guess that to be the problem here. I have tried MANY production jobs with no issues. I am going to try running the research job repeatedly and then checking the armoury to see if the batteries appear as they should each time.

*edit2* Lost count of how many times I have tried both producing laser rifles and researching laser weapons. I cannot reproduce this and have still only seen it once.

After having in mind that saving and loading might play a role as I speculated in other thread, I found a pretty solid way to reproduce. It is not even necessary to produce any laser rifles I just found it odd that I never encountered it on my complete playthrough of 7-day period with multiple safes/loads etc - probably the precise sequence of events plays a role.

Minimal Case:

1. start game from desktop
  2. start new game
  3. place initial base
  4. fast forward time until dummy research is complete
  5. go to research and start laser weaponry research
  6. go to Geoscape and fast forward time until reasearch complete
  7. When offered to go to engineering cancel dialogue
  8. press F5 - quick_save.json attached
  9. press F9

Result: In armory, there can be seen the issue.

• Laser battery does not have a infinity sign right from the start, even before dragging one out, which is different than Chris describes - Screenshot 1
  • while dragging it out, the whole laser battery button disappears (intead of disappearing infinity symbol) - Screenshot 2
  • after dragging it out, the button stays disappeared and the gap where it was is closed - Screenshot 3

The issue persists in savefile - you should see it if you load it. Additinally, if you start producing laser rifles after loading the broken save, they will not be automatically equipped with a laser battery. The one dragged out really is the only one in existence for the rest of the game after it happened.

Screenshot 1:

2018-12-19_2102_1.thumb.png.9beebcec0017c25afc26592056c90d57.png

Screenshot 2:

2018-12-19_2102_2.thumb.png.31a9f55777d687404dbe6b7891357b32.png

Screenshot 3:

2018-12-19_2102_3.thumb.png.8b1a780e33da234fda886d9487394156.png

Edited by wulf 21
typos

• 2 months later...

Build V2.1

Can still reproduce - prepared a savefile to start from as you need to get items from ground missions first + do some research before getting the laser weaponry research.

1. start the game from desktop
  2. load the savefile before Laser Weaponry Reaearch.json - there is laser weapon reasearch about 2-3 hours before completion
  3. fast forward time until you get the research report and confirm it
  4. close the prompt that asks if you want to go to engineering
  5. (optional) take a look in the armory, there are infinite laser batteries (Screenshot 1)
  6. press F5 - attached quick_save.json
  7. press F9 - now you have only one laser battery (Screenshot 2) - try dragging it out and you see that it really is just one (as above)

Notes:

• The issue persists in savefile - as above
  • even if the ram caching of savefiles was fixed, step 1 is still important for reproduction somehow. I could not reproduce it right away a second again without going to desktop in between. Looks like the bug somehow happens because some specific data is missing in RAM while saving the game.

Edit: Added one more screenshot (3) to illustrate what happens in build V2.1 if you produce laser weapons in engineering after the bug happened. Only one weapon will ever get the laser battery. The others display some replacement graphic where the laser battery should be (and are not loaded if equipped).

Screenshot 1:

2019-03-02_1259_1.thumb.png.9db7b23ace006a67bafc5f95f83d139f.png

Screenshot 2:

2019-03-02_1300_1.thumb.png.7e5295ea0ea63c83eb45d52ee636de24.png

Screenshot 3:

2019-03-02_1529_1.thumb.png.567cc5197960ad94f471fdaf45cea974.png

Edited by wulf 21
wrong screenshot

• 3 weeks later...

Build V3.1

Can still reproduce. Here is are updated savefiles

Screens look now a little different (there is actually number 1 displayed next to the laser battery now and it gets zero after dragging it out) - strange thing is I can still reproduce it only one time after loading from desktop - will not reproduce if I try to do it a second time without quit to desktop in between. Maybe you are not attempting to fix it because according to the research dummies the plan is laser weapons should auto-recharge slowly instead of reloading like a normal gun. But it may still point to some deeper issue in the way saving and loading works and pop up again if there is a new ammo type unlocked by research put into the game...

2019-03-24_1156_1.thumb.png.b9acbfb6122550a1fb70daacb75d1abf.png

2019-03-24_1156_2.thumb.png.2da1dec1706463f8a375394342f33b25.png

On 3/24/2019 at 11:09 AM, wulf 21 said:

Build V3.1

Can still reproduce. Here is are updated savefiles

Screens look now a little different (there is actually number 1 displayed next to the laser battery now and it gets zero after dragging it out) - strange thing is I can still reproduce it only one time after loading from desktop - will not reproduce if I try to do it a second time without quit to desktop in between. Maybe you are not attempting to fix it because according to the research dummies the plan is laser weapons should auto-recharge slowly instead of reloading like a normal gun. But it may still point to some deeper issue in the way saving and loading works and pop up again if there is a new ammo type unlocked by research put into the game...

Thanks. Sorry for not replying to this thread earlier; I really should have given you have all the reproduction steps ready for us to look at. Not sure why I didn't look at it before.

Anyway, yeah, I can indeed reproduce this at my end - the battery is initially infinite but then becomes 1 quantity after save / load. I'll have the coder responsible have a quick look at it tomorrow because as you say this could be hinting at a more serious problem in the save system.