[1.65/X.CE V0.35.0] X-Division 1.00 Beta [.01] xenopedia texts

PALU

The purpose of this "mod" is to provide some descriptions for the many xenopedia entries that are empty in the X-Division mod, as well as to correct existing entries that no longer reflect the current state of the mod. The file is for the 1.00.01 version if X-Division, and it's unknown if it works for earlier versions. It does work for an existing campaign though, as all it does is to replace one displayed text with another, but not change any references or structures.

Installation: Back up the <xenonauts>\assets\mods\X-Division\xenopedia.xml file by e.g. changing its extension, and then download and place the supplied xenopedia.xml file in the original's place.

Notes:

- The work is complete. This means all entries thought to be available in the game has been visited.
- The first half of the expected work was done as an exchange in the X-Division thread, while the remainder will be performed here, with no feedback received. The process started with the entries the author had uncovered, which was a sliding set of the first and a bit of the second phase. From then on entries were processed in the order they were defined in the file rather than by phase.
- The X-Division team is free to use any or all of the contents I've made or modified if they decide to release a new version, and others are free to use this work as the basis for refinements.
- This file will not switch to support a new X-Division release unless that release is compatible with an ongoing campaign (which doesn't seem likely).

Caveats:

- Most of the work has been made without the benefit of a spell checker, so, unfortunately, there are probably a fair number of spelling/typing errors in the file.
- There are quirks/bugs in the mod that the texts tries to deal with, but the texts cannot correct them (that would require a real mod).
- Some of the text is based on trying to understand information in other files. It's quite possible some of that is misunderstood, and in some cases there are several similar sets of entries, so a best guess had to be made as to which one was actually used.
- The entries varies a bit in structure and approach. This is a result of the work being performed over time, and the knowledge and approach has changed during this process.
- Entries thought not to appear in the game were initially left as is, while later entries have had their text of "Description" replaced by "Dummy". Appearance of a description text of "Dummy" means a mistake has been made, but there's not really any change in the actual information.

Edit: 2018-10-13: Final version
Edit2: 2018-11-13: This thread will not be updated any more, as the X-Division mod has moved on and the contents of this thread has been appended to it (in an updated state) as "Palu's Shining Xenopedia". Thus, any further work will take place in the main X-Division thread. It can be noted that the installation instructions for X-Division 1.00.10 describes how to continue an X-Division 1.00.01 campaign while still getting most of the updates, so there's no reason to stick with the older version (unless you have an intense dislike for any of the changes, I guess).

xenopedia.xml

Edited by PALU
Added Edit2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes. As far as I can tell there's something inside the save that tells the game which research the game has unlocked, but the text itself seems to be read from the .xml files when the game is loaded (I haven't seen any effect when changing the file with the game paused in the background and then displaying a modified topic). That's actually how I started: by writing texts for research I had unlocked in my game and checking that the changed text had taken effect.

Note that this regards the text only: changes to research requirement, introduction of new research, and other changes to the actual game content should not be attempted unless you're very sure about what you're doing (and I'm not...).

I've replaced the file with the second update, but I have some problem understanding Reapers, where I've processed about half of them (the other half is presumably further down in the file): I've changed the text to reflect that zombification only appears if the victim is killed, but the description claims that killing zombies just results in an earlier release of a new Reaper, while my experience so far is that they just go splat when killed. I don't know if different ranks behave differently in that respect, or if none of them are released on death. Also, I don't think I've seen a regular zombie spawn a Reaper, but it might just be that those that did were out of sight, but it might also be rank related. As I don't know how it actually works (and have been unable to make sufficient sense out of the files I've looked at) I've just left the original description in place as the safest option.

@PALU In most of the armour descriptions it uses words like action points, would you mind changing that to time units ? I completly understand if you think it is too minor, as I am pretty sure people understand the meaning anyway and I can just change it in my own game ofcourse. 

I am glad you changed your mind about finishing these entries, they are very good and interesting to read. 

Edited by Svinedrengen

As I'm changing things all over the place it shouldn't take long to make that change, especially given that there aren't that many armors. I'm trying to fix the spelling/typing errors I find, for instance, as I think those are unsightly. The things I'm hesitant about are ones that would require a lot of effort, such as making a change to every entry.

9 hours ago, PALU said:

As I'm changing things all over the place it shouldn't take long to make that change, especially given that there aren't that many armors. I'm trying to fix the spelling/typing errors I find, for instance, as I think those are unsightly. The things I'm hesitant about are ones that would require a lot of effort, such as making a change to every entry.

You should simply be able to power search "action" with sublime text and get everything listed in an instant.